Successfully Moved Navigation Screen To Make Room Pioneer AVIC-8200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I successfully able to move my navigation screen to the center console in preparation to install a double din Pioneer AVIC-8200 stereo on my 2004 LX470. I will finally be able to ditch the Livingston System. I have been running Focals 3 ways on my stock speaker locations with aftermarket old school PPI amps. I'm using PPI A404 for my highs/mids and A600 my JL 12" enclosure. The plans is make a custom fiberglass enclosure where the factory sub and jack was located. I will be using JL 13" shallow mount sub, I will also update the amp to PPI 2200. According to the stereo shop, we will be able to utilize the oem backup and steering wheel controls. However I will be adding front camera because my truck sits so high I cant see cars in front of me. The stereo shop will also make a custom enclosure for the navigation screen inside the center console as I also removed the ancient CD shuttle. My truck is currently at the stereo shop wish me luck.

IMG_4012[1].JPG

IMG_4015[1].JPG

All aspects of the navigation, AC controls, Trip Information and Menu are fully functional as it if the screen still mounted on the original location. In fact all of the buttons on the side and the bottom of the screen are all functional. Obviously some functionality will be replaced with the new Pioneer deck but those that does not will still be 100% functional and accessible.

IMG_4013[1].JPG

that's a new approach for sure! best of all worlds. out of curiosity where will the OEM screen be relocated? i didn't think the shifter console had enough real estate

Are you going to install a whole new system, as if from scratch?
I'm interested in your end plan.
Did you use ethernet cable? Looks sort of like that in the pics.

I've removed the stock amp, nav ecu and stock HU from my land cruiser. My stereo is always a work in progress.

I'm putting it inside the center console glove box (bottom portion) where the CD/DVD shuttle once resided. I will post picture of the finished product. The second picture is the actual new home, its hard to tell sorry.

Very creative. Keep the pics coming.

I'm putting it inside the center console glove box (bottom portion) where the CD/DVD shuttle once resided. I will post picture of the finished product. The second picture is the actual new home, its hard to tell sorry.
so, literally, inside the storage area (beneath the flip-up cover) between the front seats, where the DVD magazine usually sits?

Are you going to install a whole new system, as if from scratch?
I'm interested in your end plan.
Did you use ethernet cable? Looks sort of like that in the pics.

I've removed the stock amp, nav ecu and stock HU from my land cruiser. My stereo is always a work in progress.

Before I started I already had half of it aftermarket but I was using the stock stereo. I used Rockford360 to tap into the Livingston amp (ie bypassing it), then I installed 2 external amps to run my highs, mids, and bass. All of was swapped early on but nobody would touch the stock radio. Recently my stock display is started to show its age and Lexus wanted to charge me $6k or used one for $3K or so. I was not going to pay that for stock stereo.

Yes, for the smaller wires I used Ethernet cable and ends, for the thicker wire I created by own ends from 9 wire speaker wires, solder them and use connectors I purchased from Frys. I did not just cut and solder because I wanted to make everything reversable in case this project does not end up well.

At end state I will have an aftermarket stereo with all my climate and trip information functional as well and hopefully will also look stock. I will have an updated navigation, Bluetooth audio and phone, front and rear cameras, satellite radio, AppleCar play and more. over 1000 watts of power!!

So in the end your ghosting the display for space for a 2 din deck. Cool. That's what I was wondering. I want it all gone. That's what I'm working on. I would rather have double din in there also, with a blank in place of the stock HU. I can't think of a reason to retain the stock display, but I've yet to determine how to remove it completely. I'm glad others are doing something. More info is always good. Good work and good luck.
Not trying to hijack your thread at all. This is where I'm at. Single JL 900 under seat.

Untitled.png

Happy to see you are here! Great work on the headunit install so far!

These are the wire that needs to be extended. Notice that one is all blue. Care must be taken to make sure wires are not crossed. I cut and connected one wire at a time. I also marked both sides of each wire before cutting. Make sure you test each wire for continuity from board to board to insure proper wiring. This is one you check/test multiple times.

need1.jpg

need2.jpg

need3.jpg

Cat5 and soldering work, this part is not as hard but you have to make sure you match all of the colors and cut one wire at a time. Make sure you pull on the wire after each solder to make sure you have a good connections

IMG_4004.JPG

IMG_3998.JPG

End result. 5 cat5 wires in multiple to reduce cross wiring. 1 x 9 wire connector and 1 x 5 wire connector all homemade. All cat5 cable were purchased. All wires and connectors are labeled.

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

IMG_4011.JPG

So in the end your ghosting the display for space for a 2 din deck. Cool. That's what I was wondering. I want it all gone. That's what I'm working on. I would rather have double din in there also, with a blank in place of the stock HU. I can't think of a reason to retain the stock display, but I've yet to determine how to remove it completely. I'm glad others are doing something. More info is always good. Good work and good luck.
Not trying to hijack your thread at all. This is where I'm at. Single JL 900 under seat.

View attachment 1426237

I'm not removing my stock head unit on the bottom. I want mine to be reversible just in case....

Preliminary fit, still need adjustments but it took all day to get to this. Deck requires all the space back there, had to carefully move a lot of wires. But wide screen sure look promising....

IMG_4019[1].JPG

It's great seeing all of these options being developed currently to replace the NAV/Stereo components. Great work and thanks for sharing!

Nice work! FWIW I love my AVIC 8200 NEX with one exception: The "Alert" volume, for guidance, phone calls, etc., is limited to to low of a dB. This is a known issue but AFAIK Pioneer hasn't remedied it via programming update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom