Moving OEM rear lockers from 98 LC to 99 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey so I thought I'd ask aloud as I'm not finding much on the topic.

Would anyone have any advice about moving a 98 LCs stock rear diff locker to a 99 LX?

I wrecked my LC and replaced it with an LX and unfortunately it doesn't have that nice rear locker. I suspect it will require moving quite a lot of parts as well as an ECU and wiring harness.

Since I already own both, I thought I'd investigate the idea...

I'm leaning towards this would be more trouble than it's worth but thought I'd ask as insight would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Last edited:
can you change the whole third. if so that would be the easiest. if you want to move to a non locked rear-end you would have to cut the notch for the locker to seat in. also move the wiring. the switch, the plugs in the dash are intact. and you will need the right axle thats what i did for my 2000. 99 not sure if you need the right axle

can you change the whole third. if so that would be the easiest. if you want to move to a non locked rear-end you would have to cut the notch for the locker to seat in. also move the wiring. the switch, the plugs in the dash are intact. and you will need the right axle thats what i did for my 2000. 99 not sure if you need the right axle

Thanks. I have the parts for the third so I should be able to. I just found Slee - Retrofitting Lockers (Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser) regarding the 80. Hopefully it's not too much different. Any thoughts on where that ECU might be located? I just got the LX so haven't had it up to explore yet.

Why not swap the entire axle assembly hub to hub?

Why not swap the entire axle assembly hub to hub?
The more I learn about this, the more that sounds like a better option. I primarily work on dual sport motorcycles, the LC was my first project vehicle to learn/tinker with. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom