100 series land cruiser 4 speed vs mfd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've posted since I usually just do research by reading and learning from other members threads. Anyway, I have finally saved enough to get an early 100 series. However, I have been in a conundrum about which year to get and was hoping I could get some input on it.
I plan on getting one as a daily driver and for going off road and eventually overland small trip stuff and towing a trailer with car occasionally. I am currently in socal and will moving to somewhere in the Rockies in about a year. I narrowed it down to the 2000 to 2005 land cruisers mainly because I don't want the 2 pinion front or AHC in the LX470 .
I have been on the fence because I dont want the mfd to go out when im out in the middle of no where and the climate controls stops working. But I've read the 5 speed is worth it. I also have read that the 2000 has had transmission problems and some say it is blown out of proportion but like 70% of the land cruisers I find for sale around here are 2000's, maybe I'm just paranoid but it's weird. So how likely are these problems? I'd prefer not having the mfd and just installing an aftermarket unit on a 2000-2002. But they have the 4 speed and that is considered inferior to the 5 speed.
I guess what I'm trying to get at is what is the lesser of 2 evils, 4 speed or mfd?
Also prices seem very inconsistent with similiar vehicles and mileage by about $5000 give or take.
Anyway, any help or input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

I agonized over this same decision and in the end for me the simplicity of the 2000-2002 (no MFD) was more important than the 5-speed. I really wanted to be able to easily update the stereo and I am very happy with my decision. The 4 speed tranny in my 2000 shifts like a dream and I love driving it, even at 80mph.

Some 2002s also came with the MFD, fyi. I've never driven the 5 speed, but have no complaints on the 4 speed.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Seems like it's a split decision lol. Also, is the MFD problem something that will eventually happen given time or just random?

Bob

idk about when/if it fails - I have a 2002 and no failure as of yet.....

I like my music so needed to replace radio. I thought the 4 speed would be rough around town and hwy driving. It shifts so smooth I don't even give it a second thought.

On hwy the sweet spot is 2300 or so rpm's. That will get you good gas mileage. Roughly 65mph.

There have been times a I catch myself at higher speed because I can't feel how fast I'm going.

HTH

We've got one of each

My son's 2000 TLC - With the dreaded 2000MY transmission (no signs of issues, yet)

My 06 LX - With the dreaded MFD, the dreaded AHC, and the terrifying potential interference VVTI engine w/ the evil air induction pump, and no confidence inspiring Araco sticker (none of which have caused any issues so far.)

My son lusts after the smooth ride of the AHC system, the memory seats, VVTI engine, 5 spd, VGRS, and he likes to play with the night vision system, but he couldn't live without a modern stereo. He does keep trying to convince me that I need to replace my 100 series with a 200 series though. Of course he volunteers to take care of my old LX when I get this new 200.

I enjoy driving my son's 2000, and could get along just fine without the 5spd (if I had to). The biggest difference is in 1st gear, pulling away from a stop. I am really interested in some of the new options on the horizon for replacing the MFD, but I've done just fine with the factory system + Vais SL3B so far.

I hear the "MFD failure takes out the entire AC system" thrown around quite frequently. How many documented examples of this do we really have? What about the physical "temp up/down" "auto" "defrost" and "circulation" buttons?

Last edited:
We've got one of each

My son's 2000 TLC - With the dreaded 2000MY transmission (no signs of issues, yet)

My 06 LX - With the dreaded MFD, the dreaded AHC, and the terrifying potential interference VVTI engine w/ the evil air induction pump, an no confidence inspiring Araco sticker (none of which have caused any issues so far.)

This is what I wanted to know. I was under the impression previously that the climate control is completely inoperable, it's good to know that there is still some control even if the mfd goes out.

I've owned both. My 06 was more refined and the 5 speed was very nice. The 98 feels a bit torqier and I like the standard climate control much better. They are both great vehicles and I'm glad I got the 98 cheap enough to avoid another car payment.

I was in the same boat too... After a lot of research and thinking I went with the 5spd. I do some towing and why not get the newest rig you can afford? I love the 5psd. As for the MFD. I have the screen turned off (I'm not sure everyone knows you can do this) and it only comes on when I adjust volume or for the rear view camera. I use my iphone or ipad for all music so to me it wasn't an issue. Not to mention I only use AUTO for climate so I've actually never touched the screen to adjust my temp. I know there is a issue in 2004 with my MFD but I've already research someone to fix it if it goes out. Not too worried.

I wouldn't totally disregard the 98-99 because of the 2 pinion diff. This will be plenty strong for daily driving and most off roading. You also have the rear locker with these. When you feel that the diff needs upgrading than replace it with an aftermarket 4 pinion. Best of both worlds. 2000's are still more reliable than 95% of vehicles on the road IMO.

I was in the same boat too... After a lot of research and thinking I went with the 5spd. I do some towing and why not get the newest rig you can afford? I love the 5psd. As for the MFD. I have the screen turned off (I'm not sure everyone knows you can do this) and it only comes on when I adjust volume or for the rear view camera. I use my iphone or ipad for all music so to me it wasn't an issue. Not to mention I only use AUTO for climate so I've actually never touched the screen to adjust my temp. I know there is a issue in 2004 with my MFD but I've already research someone to fix it if it goes out. Not too worried.
I also did not know you could turn them off is this an easy thing to do?

I wouldn't totally disregard the 98-99 because of the 2 pinion diff. This will be plenty strong for daily driving and most off roading. You also have the rear locker with these. When you feel that the diff needs upgrading than replace it with an aftermarket 4 pinion. Best of both worlds. 2000's are still more reliable than 95% of vehicles on the road IMO.
Yeah the 98 and 99 are still nice but I think I would prefer having ATRAC and then adding lockers later on if I feel I need them.

I also did not know you could turn them off is this an easy thing to do?

"Display" button, "screen off" soft button

I find it funny how minor issues that get reported, get blown way out of proportion on these boards. Yes, any added feature and complexity can become a liability.

Heck, we might all as well never buy a modern car again.

But it's a Toyota/Lexus after all - already known to be the pinnacle of reliability in the the car world.

Personally, I've hugely enjoyed the 5 speed, VVTi, and AHC. I would really miss every one of those features, especially when towing. And even the niceties that come with the MFC (e.g. Mark Levinson). With a basic BT/Aux adapter and cell phone mount, I have all the integration and modern features I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom