HELP LX570 Won't Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

Went out to my '11 LX570 a little bit ago and it won't start. When I push the "Start" button I get one click and then nothing. Some of the dash lights are on and the "Check VCS system" message flashes on the display. Everything seems to work (i.e. radio, HVAC, doors unlock and lock with proximity key).

Would this "1 click" and no start be caused by the starter or is something else going on here? It has never given me any issues before now. As a side note, one of my neighbors had to have their car towed after a squirrel ate through some wires. Not sure if that's the case here or if its just a coincidence. Any guidance is much appreciated!

An additional update. I just went out to try again, and now the dash lights won't come on. It still tries to click once but the tachometer and message display won't light up.

An additional update. I just went out to try again, and now the dash lights won't come on. It still tries to click once but the tachometer and message display won't light up.
What's the state of your battery? Last replaced, checked? Any other vehicle available to try jumping?

Going to try jumping shortly and see if I have any luck. The battery is from 7/19. Its supposed to be an 84-month battery but maybe its done.

I replace my battery every 4 years regardless.

Seems like battery to me, hope it’s the battery because starter jobs suck ass on this truck

If you have a Samsclub nearby, go grab a Duracell AGM Marine Group 27M battery. It's $199, performs better than most $300+ batteries. Or if you just want a standard leadacid battery the Duracell Group 27 at Samsclub is $129 ($210-230 everywhere else).

-

Hooked it up to a DeWalt jump starter and still nothing. It just gives me the 1 click and doesn't try anything else. May need to get it towed to the shop.

Hooked it up to a DeWalt jump starter and still nothing. It just gives me the 1 click and doesn't try anything else. May need to get it towed to the shop.
Do you have a charger or just jump starter. If it's too dead to jump, you might be able to put a charge in it for a bit and then it will take the jump and run.

When was the last time you drove it?

Don’t run AGM unless you have a great reason to.

What's the battery voltage?

Seems like battery to me, hope it’s the battery because starter jobs suck ass on this truck
Truth. But he may be in that zone too. I think a lot of folks have their starter crap out in the 100,000 - 120,000 mile range -- I know it did on my 2008. His 2011 is likely in that zone (2023-2011)=12y. 12y x 10k/y = 120k.

When my 5.7 tundra died, it took 2 jumper boxes to start it. Just saying before you tow

Truth. But he may be in that zone too. I think a lot of folks have their starter crap out in the 100,000 - 120,000 mile range -- I know it did on my 2008. His 2011 is likely in that zone (2023-2011)=12y. 12y x 10k/y = 120k.

Did you replace it by yourself? I’m on 160K miles on original starter, I’m a mechanic with a lift but I’m dreading the day I have to do this job.

Do you have a charger or just jump starter. If it's too dead to jump, you might be able to put a charge in it for a bit and then it will take the jump and run.

When was the last time you drove it?
I drove it last yesterday which is what was strange. Ran several errands in it and no issues neither was it slow to start. Tried also jumping it with a friends car and still no luck. Maybe I need to leave it on the jump starter for a bit. I've got it scheduled to be taken in to the dealer in the morning (hope I can figure out something before then).

Current at 164k miles on the original starter, which I now puts me well into the territory of being due for replacement.

Based on what I see and hear, there probably isn't easy access to be able to tap the starter with a screwdriver or hammer, right?

What's the battery voltage?
Here is where it was reading on attempted start.
IMG_3228.jpeg

I just had the exact same issue in my 2011 LC with ~160k miles. I went out and got a new battery hoping that would do the trick and unfortunately no luck. My starter had failed. I was getting the same one-click that you’re getting. I can’t recall whether all of my dash lights were on.

I drove it last yesterday which is what was strange. Ran several errands in it and no issues neither was it slow to start. Tried also jumping it with a friends car and still no luck. Maybe I need to leave it on the jump starter for a bit. I've got it scheduled to be taken in to the dealer in the morning (hope I can figure out something before then).

Current at 164k miles on the original starter, which I now puts me well into the territory of being due for replacement.

Based on what I see and hear, there probably isn't easy access to be able to tap the starter with a screwdriver or hammer, right?

You can see the starter through the wheel well on the passenger side. First you need to have a strong battery and/or jumper hooked up. I’m still leaning towards a bad battery, your friend unless he has a tundra or sequoia, a sedan won’t be able to jump our truck. I thought my starter was bad too when I jumped it and it wouldn’t start. After hooking a second jump box it started right up. If you determine the battery is good, Have someone tap the starter with a metal rod while you try to start it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom