HELP! LX470 cuts off while driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UPDATE-- since the last cutoff issue 3 weeks ago, LX has been running great. Maybe the fuel pump relay was the cure. ALmost 16 MPG on a 50 mi trip.

Was the fuel pump relay the fix? if so, which one?

I went through the exact same thing last night. I was on a 3 hour trip and it started doing it after the first 30 mins in. I immediately found this thread. I started looking for all the details, cutting off the lights and radio, with the Ac on and off, watching temps, etc..
It did it without flickering the lights or the radio when it started, but as it got darker, I noticed the lights did flicker and so did the radio. The clock never reset itself though. It kept the time. It did it like 6 times in an hour. Then stopped doing it for another 1.5 hour then one more time right before I got home. I didn't have to restart the vehicle, it would re-start itself immediately. I did change the alternator like 2 months ago. I'm going to go in there and check all the connections.

I first experienced this on my 06 LX during a 500+ mile trip two weeks ago.Topped fuel off in Chattanooga Tennessee,drove 150 miles to Atlanta where I encountered stop and go traffic when I encountered the stumbling and finally engine stall.

I first experienced this on my 06 LX during a 500+ mile trip two weeks ago.Topped fuel off in Chattanooga Tennessee,drove 150 miles to Atlanta where I encountered stop and go traffic when I encountered the stumbling and finally engine stall.
Then never again? Or did you attempt a fix?

Then never again? Or did you attempt a fix?
I hooked up my scanner,no codes stored,let it cool for a few minutes,fired it up and drove 300 more miles with no problems Until I was a few blocks from my destination.Then it stumbled at a traffic light but never shut down.It was running like a carbureted engine would with fuel filter full of trash,where when you shut the engine off the trash would fall out and allow fuel to flow.I added sea foam ,cleaned the maf sensor and throttle body. I returned home (550 miles) without incidence.After swapping out the fuel filter I noticed much better acceleration and less downshifting on long grades.The fuel from my old filter was literally gray. I don’t have a definite answer as to what caused my problem but with no codes I have to suspect it was fuel related.

9F69231C-2B5E-4ECB-B8E2-7336F50EB5D7.jpeg

Was the fuel pump relay the fix? if so, which one?

I went through the exact same thing last night. I was on a 3 hour trip and it started doing it after the first 30 mins in. I immediately found this thread. I started looking for all the details, cutting off the lights and radio, with the Ac on and off, watching temps, etc..
It did it without flickering the lights or the radio when it started, but as it got darker, I noticed the lights did flicker and so did the radio. The clock never reset itself though. It kept the time. It did it like 6 times in an hour. Then stopped doing it for another 1.5 hour then one more time right before I got home. I didn't have to restart the vehicle, it would re-start itself immediately. I did change the alternator like 2 months ago. I'm going to go in there and check all the connections.
Well, I found the intake clamp fully loose at the throttle body. To top it off, the bottom lip was not over the TB but pinched by the clamp and inside the TB. I’m hoping this was the problem.

I have been searching specifically for an exact issue on my 2007 GX470 with no success, I broadened the search and found this thread with the SAME symptoms on the 100 series. I ordered a fuel pump to start the rabbit hole adventure.

I have been searching specifically for an exact issue on my 2007 GX470 with no success, I broadened the search and found this thread with the SAME symptoms on the 100 series. I ordered a fuel pump to start the rabbit hole adventure.
Oddly enough when I was rebuilding my wife’s LED projectors in her 2005 Sequoia I noticed Toyota stuck the fuel heal sink thing in the DS fender well. Its located behind the battery on my Gx and get no air flow.

IMG_5221.jpeg

So far so good, I did 2 things,

1st I lengthened my fuel pump wiring, it was taught from the 2" body lift installed a few years ago.
2nd I replaced the fuel pump.

IMG_5264.jpeg

IMG_5255.jpeg

IMG_5170.jpeg

IMG_5158.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom