Help, Inherited Hj frankencruiser and no idea where to start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, im a new member here, im from Queensland in australia.
I inherited my hj frankencruiser from my late father, so its been sitting and hasnt been moved in over 2 years.

The body and chassis from what i know is a hj45 6/1980
The engine is a 2H (nothing known other than it was put in in 2003)

I have been recently been trying to get it going but no luck.

the diesel has turned a deep black but still moves like diesel and it refuses to turn over.
Im getting a click from under the passenger footwell, i have replaced the starter relay that was there, but no luck.
when i bridged 2 studs on a solenoid next to the batt, it tried to turn over but wouldn't fire even after attempted glows.
after this i tried to bleed the fuel lines. this is when i saw the colour of the diesel and found out my fuel primer pump was dead.

I have taken out the fuel primer assembly and replacement parts have just arrived, so thats my first task.

the next task i want to tackle is the glow plugs, from what i can tell from looking in these forums my hj45 has the glow controller (turn the key back to glow) but nothing lights up on my dash. BUT the plugs i pulled out where 11v plugs. so i'm confused as to what glow plugs i should really be using as this forum says glow controllers run 8.5v plugs.

once i get that sorted i want to drain the tank and flush the system.

after that i have no idea what to do or how to do it so any and all help will be appreciated.

I should also note that i'm a full time student and the cruiser is about 200km away from me so i don't have money to just throw at it and i don't get regular access to it

Thanks anyone for your help and advice
IMG_5805.JPG
IMG_5799.JPG
IMG_5806.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG

the diesel has turned a deep black but still moves like diesel

That should be drained and discarded. One of those glow plugs looks like it is covered in oil, or maybe that black diesel?
If its oil you may have oil getting past the oil rings, not good.

But it looks like a great project, there would be a few frothing at the mouth over a complete body in good condition like that.
Being a student on a student income, if it turns out the engine is worn out, it will probably be easier to look around for a good used one that you can see running before purchase.

Last edited:
I think Frankencruiser is an unfair description of that lovely old beast. Good luck getting it going!

If you want to temporarily take the glow system out of the troubleshooting equation, to make sure everything else is working, pour a few gallons of boiling water over the engine and then try to start it.

Did you do an oil change by any chance? If you fill a 2H too quickly it overflows the rocker cover into the intake manifold - and then into the cylinders.. you'd have to turn it over with all the glow plugs out to resolve this.

One of those glow plugs looks like it is covered in oil, or maybe that black diesel?
i just went and opened the pouch i put that glow plug in, it smelt like the diesel and didnt feel like oil.
would that mean i flooded that cylinder ?
i only removed thoes 2 plugs that you see in the pic, and as you can see one snapped

i just went and opened the pouch i put that glow plug in, it smelt like the diesel and didnt feel like oil.
would that mean i flooded that cylinder ?
i only removed thoes 2 plugs that you see in the pic, and as you can see one snapped
In my experience with the 2h the glow plugs can be messy. Id verify that the starter cranks the motor over by hot wiring it and then if it works you have an eletrical issue. Also if it cranks and won't start check the EDIC motor, they can be problematic. I tried everything known to man to kill my 2h, couldn't so i doubt you'll be able to.

Id verify that the starter cranks the motor over by hot wiring it

i last had the engine running about 1 year ago, at that time i had to bridge the connections circled in red at the bottom of the pic, it used to fire and run, but recently it would only try to turn over but not start, i also could smell diesel.
I thought i had air in my lines, thats how i found out the colour of the diesel.

as for edic, i have no idea what that is but a quick search of the forms looks like its the bar i circled in the middle of the pic.
i remember it used to move forward and back about a year ago, but i havent payed attention to it recently
engine bay.jpg

but recently it would only try to turn over but not start, i also could smell diesel

Is your battery top notch? Diesels need a good kick to start them. The diesel smell could be coming out the exhaust.
That EDIC arm should go to the start position and then to the run position.

i last had the engine running about 1 year ago, at that time i had to bridge the connections circled in red at the bottom of the pic, it used to fire and run, but recently it would only try to turn over but not start, i also could smell diesel.
I thought i had air in my lines, thats how i found out the colour of the diesel.

as for edic, i have no idea what that is but a quick search of the forms looks like its the bar i circled in the middle of the pic.
i remember it used to move forward and back about a year ago, but i havent payed attention to it recentlyView attachment 1824125
Ok if it started and ran, I'd just drain the diesel and put new stuff in it then make sure that you prime it, put a good battery in it and try and fire it. If it does kick and start even if its very rough give it a few revs and that should help it pull the diesel through better, getting rid of the air. What you have circled is the edic.

Did you do an oil change by any chance? If you fill a 2H too quickly it overflows the rocker cover into the intake manifold - and then into the cylinders.. you'd have to turn it over with all the glow plugs out to resolve this.

@duncanrm.... Tell me what path the oil takes into the intake manifold if everything on the motor is in place except for the oil fill cap..... must be a weakness I don't know about....

@duncanrm.... Tell me what path the oil takes into the intake manifold if everything on the motor is in place except for the oil fill cap..... must be a weakness I don't know about....

The rocker cover fills up, the oil overflows into the Crankcase Ventilation hose, which goes into the intake. I see at least 2-3 reports a year on various Facebook groups of this occuring

Ok if it started and ran, I'd just drain the diesel and put new stuff in it then make sure that you prime i

He is saying the diesel is black, that usually indicates algea. Will a diesel will run on fuel like that? I would be reluctant to run it through the injection pump.

He is saying the diesel is black, that usually indicates algea. Will a diesel will run on fuel like that? I would be reluctant to run it through the injection pump.
It's probably not going to do it much good but at the same time if the tank was drained and the fuel filter replaced i can't see it being to much of an issue, especially on an older diesel such as the 2h. I certainly would be worried if it was a common rail setup such as the 1vd ftv but it'll be alright i dare say. Could put an injector flush chemical through it but i don't know how well those gismos work to be honest.

about 5 years ago i started her up after 4 or 5 years sitting in a paddock, i put 20l of fresh diesel in it, and a new batt and filled up the radiator, started first turn of the key, but the idol was rough as hell and thick black smoke outr the exhaust for 10 min and then ran smooth with no smoke, the cluch slave cylinder was cactus and the handbrake pads had disintergrated.

While I'm not saying its impossible, I think you would almost have to be trying to get that to happen.....

The rocker cover fills up, the oil overflows into the Crankcase Ventilation hose, which goes into the intake. I see at least 2-3 reports a year on various Facebook groups of this occuring

Last edited:
Lots of good input for you here !
Options: pull the arm off the shut off relay ( circled in pic ) if you have bled the fuel system of all air then your good to go !
Check the continuity of your glow plugs, if good then you have two options ! 1, use ignition to preglow 2-3 times, giving 5 sec between glowing cycles. 2 grab a wire and connect to battery and manually glow each glow plug.
I'm guessing the starter motor is working ? make sure batteries are fully charged.
and ... great looking truck you have there ! don't give up on it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom