86 HJ60 (Canadian). Butterfly Shut off valve & Starting issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I've got an issue I'm hoping someone might be able to help me resolve.

'86 HJ60 with a 2H. No EDIC because it's the Canadian spec so instead it has the butterfly shut off valve like the 12HT.

The problem I'm having is on start-up. I've searched all over and I can only find problems with this type of valve related to shut-down.

Anyway, the intermittent problem is this, I'll turn the key and the engine cranks just fine but it doesn't fire. Turn the key off then crank again and it'll fire right up. Sometimes it takes three or 4 times. Some times, however, it wont fire at all so I'll go out and pull the vacuum line off the shut off valve diaphragm, release the vacuum pressure which opens the butterfly and he engine fires up and runs perfectly.

So, obviously what's happening is the VSV on the diaphragm isn't getting power the way it's supposed to (I've also confirmed this with a multimeter and tested the VSV to confirm it's working as it should). The problem is, though, I can't seem to find any info anywhere on line about where the VSV gets it's power from. Is there a relay somewhere I should be checking? A ground maybe? The wires disappear into the harness and I can't figure where they resurface and as I mentioned, info about this on the interweb is scarce. Any one with any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, follow up question… I'm at the point where I may just wire a dash switch with a relay straight off the battery to feed power to it. Any one know any reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea? Aside from the slight inconvenience of things not working the way their supposed to. Are their any negatives to this? Am I going to damage something else? I can't imagine what that would be if I'm just feeding 24V straight to the VSV and then to ground but who knows.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom