HDJ81 Won't Start Without Help and Don't Know Where to Go From Here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm throwing that out, but since you've replaced a battery... Is the Left hand side battery connected the right way ? I'm talking about the battery that's used for the 24v cranking. It has to be mirror from the right side battery. Not the same part number because + and - are swapped.

Also, try disconnecting both batteries and measure the voltage on each one individually.

Also, when i bought my hdj81, i've spent quite sometime trying to understand the 24timer and cranking relay...
Basically, the timer is there in order to delay the cranking relay slightly.
First, it instantly turns on the big voltage converter relay, then after some little unoticeable delay, it turns on the cranking relay and also the starter solenoid. This prevents wear from electrical arcing inside the voltage converter relay. The starter is then the only one doing the heavy lifting. It could be something with the voltage converter relay. This one sits on the left hand side, under the dash, by the fender. Its up in there. It looks like an old school tin-can relay. Maybe you should the that one out and see if the plug looks allright.

I felt your pain!
My 81 had similar issues, but now she's mint. While messing about I
ended up wiring a fused line to a momentary switch just for emergencies. Beauty of this is that you can start via 12 volts.
That said, make certain that the fusible link is 100% tested, and not tested with just a test light as this will give you a false sense of security. Ask me how I know.
Lastly, owning both a Hdt-ft 5speed converted to 12 volt and a 81 24 volt, never ditch the 24 v starter if you experience cold weather.
I'm 64 and never in my life have I owned a vehicle which starts as well as a 24 volt 81.
I swear at times it's like flicking a light switch.

I felt your pain!
My 81 had similar issues, but now she's mint. While messing about I
ended up wiring a fused line to a momentary switch just for emergencies. Beauty of this is that you can start via 12 volts.
That said, make certain that the fusible link is 100% tested, and not tested with just a test light as this will give you a false sense of security. Ask me how I know.
Lastly, owning both a Hdt-ft 5speed converted to 12 volt and a 81 24 volt, never ditch the 24 v starter if you experience cold weather.
I'm 64 and never in my life have I owned a vehicle which starts as well as a 24 volt 81.
I swear at times it's like flicking a light switch.
Yeah, I'm very hesitant to convert to 12v. Especially since I don't know that it's the 24v stuff that's causing the problems - I could see doing the conversion and still having the issue.

I haven't had time to look at it this weekend and get precious little time during the week, so a temporary switch to be able to drive it reliably while I work out what the problem is would be great. How did you wire your switch up?

Used a fused line from PS battery to the starter relay/solenoid.
Try crawling under and hotwire the main positive lead on the starter and the solenoid lead directly above. Use quick taps if you are new to this.
All you need to do is energize the solenoid and she should fire up. Key on, or key off to bump the engine.
Post in thread 'How to start a 24v HDJ81 with 12v video' https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-start-a-24v-hdj81-with-12v-video.1202917/post-13073489Post in thread 'How to start a 24v HDJ81 with 12v video' How to start a 24v HDJ81 with 12v video - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-start-a-24v-hdj81-with-12v-video.1202917/post-13073489

Used a fused line from PS battery to the starter relay/solenoid.
Try crawling under and hotwire the main positive lead on the starter and the solenoid lead directly above. Use quick taps if you are new to this.
All you need to do is energize the solenoid and she should fire up. Key on, or key off to bump the engine.
Post in thread 'How to start a 24v HDJ81 with 12v video' https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-start-a-24v-hdj81-with-12v-video.1202917/post-13073489Post in thread 'How to start a 24v HDJ81 with 12v video' How to start a 24v HDJ81 with 12v video - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-start-a-24v-hdj81-with-12v-video.1202917/post-13073489
So the 24volt starter will turns fast enough to start on 12v ?

And btw, i got a question,
Does you hdj81 24volt have the intake heater or does it have glow plugs ?

What was the coldest you've started it ?

Gonna test mine this winter.

So the 24volt starter will turns fast enough to start on 12v ?

And btw, i got a question,
Does you hdj81 24volt have the intake heater or does it have glow plugs ?

What was the coldest you've started it ?

Gonna test mine this winter.
Yes, it'll start with 12v, but I've only done that in warmer weather.

I've started it as low as -4*F on 24v, but that's when my batteries were good - I tried it this winter when my batteries were on the way out and had a hard time at 0*F.

Direct injected glow plugs.

Mine will start at -30C with good diesel anti-gell
I have 12v conversion but I have to glow 3 times for it to start

I have a Webasto TSL17 now and I love every bit of having one. It makes the winter starts more enjoyable

not sure if there's a grover-ace dealer neir you but the webastos go on sale before winter

Here is @SnowVersion HDJ81 starting at -18ºF (-28ºC). Original 24v starting system, not sure but that may have been before he replaced the batteries.

The hd-t has glow plugs while the Hd-ft has an internal glow screen.

there is a 2 wire jack that goes to top of 24 volt relay. test that on crank you are getting a signal. that signal tells the 24 volt relay to fire and send 24 volts to starter.

My wire was broken inside the insulation right by jack and it gave the impression the relay was bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom