Help identifying hoses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I am back with some n00b questions.

Was doing some work earlier and found these two to be leaking. Just wondering what they are, and what issues this could cause as it is.

I also have a much larger issue but not as pressing. Check engine light has been on since I’ve gotten the truck.

But when the gas tank is fully filled, it will leak slightly. But only when fully filled. Not sure how accurate Carfax is but it says the previous owner recent had the fuel tank replaced. So hoping it’s not the entire tank but maybe some hoses or something.

Not sure if having a leak in the hose or pressure line would cause lower gas mileage. Cause what I’m getting isn’t that great.

1994 LC with 37s, not regeared (I know this will help mpg) just adding info I think might be relevant.

66454917-29BC-4A2B-BEDE-78C5525A5AEF.jpeg

13586225-E234-43D2-9345-74412A432B3A.jpeg

10851E69-F67F-46B1-A895-0530F3E527E2.jpeg

What are the codes for the engine light?

One on the right is the pcv. The valve itself probably needs to be replaced as well and the grommet in the valve cover.
The other is just a breather/vent hose, just replaced mine but not sure what it's technically called.

Partsouq will have them cheap or any of the other online spots.

Search around tons of information on them.

Hello all,

I am back with some n00b questions.

Was doing some work earlier and found these two to be leaking. Just wondering what they are, and what issues this could cause as it is.

I also have a much larger issue but not as pressing. Check engine light has been on since I’ve gotten the truck.

But when the gas tank is fully filled, it will leak slightly. But only when fully filled. Not sure how accurate Carfax is but it says the previous owner recent had the fuel tank replaced. So hoping it’s not the entire tank but maybe some hoses or something.

Not sure if having a leak in the hose or pressure line would cause lower gas mileage. Cause what I’m getting isn’t that great.

1994 LC with 37s, not regeared (I know this will help mpg) just adding info I think might be relevant.

View attachment 2936479

View attachment 2936480

View attachment 2936482
@Ghost LC

We already gave you the best contacts for all your needed parts in your other post.

Don't create a new post for everything you're looking for. This gives consistency in your replies.

Yes, these are emissions system components instead of cooling system components. As @bhsdriller has replied, go to partsouq, as we advised previously.

Looking on those parts diagrams and obtaining the FSM will assist you greatly in your endeavors. Part of learning how to do this is to read and research to determine what you're looking at.

There have been MANY more that have asked the same questions on here that you are currently asking.

Perhaps you should read this list, as it is VERY extensive on what you need by system as well as "baselining":

Maybe combine your info into ONE "My Ghost build Thread" so it will all be captured in one place, we can all respond together. Each time you or someone else posts there, you get notified and it gets pushed back to the top again.

@Ghost LC

We already gave you the best contacts for all your needed parts in your other post.

Don't create a new post for everything you're looking for. This gives consistency in your replies.

Yes, these are emissions system components instead of cooling system components. As @bhsdriller has replied, go to partsouq, as we advised previously.

Looking on those parts diagrams and obtaining the FSM will assist you greatly in your endeavors. Part of learning how to do this is to read and research to determine what you're looking at.

There have been MANY more that have asked the same questions on here that you are currently asking.

Perhaps you should read this list, as it is VERY extensive on what you need by system as well as "baselining":

Maybe combine your info into ONE "My Ghost build Thread" so it will all be captured in one place, we can all respond together. Each time you or someone else posts there, you get notified and it gets pushed back to the top again.
Understood! Thank you!!

And thanks for the patience everyone. Still new to the site and norms and stuff.

Agree, start and stick with one thread for your 80 series.

Those leaking hoses in conjunction with a non-functioning PCV valve might also be adding to the build up of condensation in the engine. One 80 I picked up a few years ago had a completely blocked PCV valve.

Also, on top of reading the FAQ's section, learn to do searches, top right of any page in the 80 forum, choose "this forum", for example, type in "baselining" or "PM" or "Preventive Maintenance" and read, read, read.

Just a thing to note...that PCV and its grommet actually look fairly recent. If the grommet is still pliable (i.e. rubbery and not hard plastic feeling) and the PCV rattles when you shake it back and forth they are probably good. On the other hand, if the PCV does not rattle, it could be clogged shut...which would explain the seepage out the other hose...which too, is split at the end.
Either way tho, the parts are cheap enough to just replace and mark off the baseline list.

If you end up replacing the PCV grommet, and it is not pliable enough to remove out the top of the valve cover, highly recommend removing the valve cover first to get the grommet out. you don't want any of it falling back down, into the valve cover. The pieces won't make it directly to the valve train in that area, but you'll still need to remove the cover to get the pieces out anyway before running the engine again.

And lastly, to get the PCV out, it is simply friction fit into that grommet. A firm gasp and wobble/spin to pull it straight up and out is the ticket. This tho will not happen if the grommet is petrified. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom