Help Identifying a Mystery Mod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been staring at a mod that a PO did on my BJ74 for a while now, and now felt like a good time to get to the bottom of it.
I have a feeling @Malahki, PO that did a serious amount of work and upgrades must have installed it, but I don't think he's still active on MUD, but if he sees this maybe he can shed some light! There is no mention of this mod on his build thread...

There are 2 identical boxes installed under the hood, on either side of the radiator. On each box, there are 3 wires coming out of either end and plugging into itself, and there doesn't seem to be any other connections coming into or out of the boxes. One of the boxes wiring has been unplugged for some time and has a black wire that is no longer connected to anything inside, must have melted or come loose.

I've attached some pics below, I opened one box up to have a look inside but whatever their purpose is still eludes me.
I'd appreciate any leads on what they might be, Cheers.
IMG_6722.JPG

IMG_6723.JPG

IMG_6725.JPG

Given there are two of these boxes, could they have something to do with the lights? Like HID ballasts, but... not?

Completely guessing here...

My usual approach would be to disconnect and see what stops working!

Those look like resistors that someone put in line to a set of lights. I am going to guess its a LED flicker solution. It was common a few years ago to do something similar for LED turn signals. But that is just a guess.

load resistors
Two resistors in each box to handle 24V maybe.
Check the turn signal and headlight lamps to determine which are LED.

load resistors
Two resistors in each box to handle 24V maybe.
Check the turn signal and headlight lamps to determine which are LED.
I was thinking it might be to step down 24V to 12V for some aftermarket lights. The plugs look like headlight plugs.

Yep, you’re right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom