Help identifying a hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was out messing with my truck, still trying to solve my P0171 issue, anyways, started to tear down the radiator lines and saw this hose, I recently replace the one right in front of it, but looks like I might be leaking from this one too, what is this called? Size etc? Biggest leak is from the radiator, but if I’m gonna do it wanna make sure I track down everything

IMG_2084.jpeg

IMG_2086.jpeg

That is one of the two hoses for the rear seat heater. I believe that one is the supply and the other is the return. The metal pipes are known to rust out.

The rear seat heater hoses are 1/2", and they come included with the metal pipes.

1700082511600.png

Last edited:
Heater hose, rear heater
5/8 Gates green stripe for the straight ones

Very helpful If you add what year your rig is ;)

Can you post up a photo taken from a little bit further back?

The aftermarket worm screw type clamps do not work very well IME, but you can try to tighten it up a bit. Looks like you'll have to come at it from the other side. Someone's been in there before.

The ones attached to the rear heater lines are a special factory band clamp, which I don't think can be tightened. They are not worm gear type of band clamp.

1700110135068.png

Roger that, but the top clamp on that hose appears to be a worm screw type (bottom clamp is the factory cotter pin and ribbon or "sardine can" type). Hard to tell from the photo where the leak is coming from.

FWIW I replaced the majority of the water hose clamps on my 97 model to Gates Power Grip PB (heat shrink type) "clamps" which never need retightening and don't leak a drop.

This next video goes into more tech detail, pay attention as there
will be a written test at the end (passing grade 70%):

That is one of the two hoses for the rear seat heater. I believe that one is the supply and the other is the return. The metal pipes are known to rust out.

The rear seat heater hoses are 1/2", and they come included with the metal pipes.

View attachment 3482466
The heater hoses are not inch sizes, they're metric. Which is why you have to resort to tricky solutions to get 5/8" hose to seal on the tubing, which is also metric. 15-mm (which is the tubing OD size) is smaller than 5/8" by enough that a thick rubber hose won't compress well aroound it, especially under pressure. If it weren't for the beads on the ends of the tubing, the 5/8" hose wouldn't seal at all.

The heater hoses are not inch sizes, they're metric. Which is why you have to resort to tricky solutions to get 5/8" hose to seal on the tubing, which is also metric. 15-mm (which is the tubing OD size) is smaller than 5/8" by enough that a thick rubber hose won't compress well aroound it, especially under pressure. If it weren't for the beads on the ends of the tubing, the 5/8" hose wouldn't seal at all.
5/8 is .875 mm larger the 15mm so not much
My self and many on the board use the gates 5/8 green stripe with out issue or leaks. Were talking less then a mm here and with the bead at the end the hose even fits snug. 🤷‍♂️

Not sure what tricky solutions your talking about ?

Yes, every knows they are metric.. 😉 It is a metric vehicle, except for the rims 😁

The tubing on my LX450 appears to be 17mm OD and 14mm OD, as measured by my calipers. The latter being the rear heater tubing.

5/8" heater hose I use is an extremely tight fit. It wouldn't be the first time a metric item has been relabeled since it was close enough...

1700149498461.png

I second this: please update your sig line with vehicle info and take a shot farther away so that we can get the big picture before you zoom in!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom