Help Identifying Spring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone recognize this spring? I took my dash apart for a heater core repair a couple of months ago. I just started the reassembly and this was laying in the driver’s side floorboard. I assume it came off of the steering column but not sure. I can’t find where it goes. I think it must’ve fallen off as I don’t remember taking it off. This is a 1995 FZJ80. Thanks

B099ED8B-F319-41C5-8B7E-58F5E032ACF8.jpeg

Spring in the background. I would imagine it’s the twin and goes on the opposite side of the steering wheel. Assist for the tilt steering.

Spring in the background. I would imagine it’s the twin and goes on the opposite side of the steering wheel. Assist for the tilt steering.
Not that one. I thought the same thing. The spring you’re mentioning is in place

It reminds me of the spring that goes under the seat for the slider.

632EEC04-B24B-4B5B-BA83-1827EB365318.jpeg
BECBB4A6-AD1D-41E0-A08B-70857F8B5A85.jpeg
E9E8A3D5-0098-41E5-B6C1-2426383E16DC.jpeg

Here are pictures of my steering column if anyone can recognize where the spring goes. It may not go on the column at all

I’ll check that. These are manual seats

I just checked mine and it’s a different spring. I just carpeted and had my whole dash out and don’t recall any other springs. Will be curious to see what it actually is.

Check that your brake pedal return spring is in place, it looks similar with a "silencer" (piece of rubber/foam) inside.

(note: in the photo the long arm of the spring was incorrectly installed on the left side of the bracket. Originally they were installed on the right side,
ie: the clevis pin should be pushed in from the left with the spring clip (and spring hook) on the right side.) FWIW

Photo taken from the driver's foot well (LHD model) looking up and forward a bit.

FZJ80 Brake pedal return spring brake switch and cushion.png

Last edited:
Check that your brake pedal return spring is in place, it looks similar with a "silencer" (piece of rubber/foam) inside.

(note: in the photo the long arm of the spring was incorrectly installed on the left side of the bracket. Originally they were installed on the right side,
ie: the clevis pin should be pushed in from the left with the spring clip (and spring hook) on the right side.) FWIW

View attachment 3579238
This is what I was going to say. Never had to mess with it on my 80, but having recently swapped the booster on my 3rd gen 4runner, immediately thought of this.

View attachment 3579238
That looks like the one. I’ll check it tonight

Looks like brake peddle return spring to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom