Help.. I killed my engine after pressure wash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have no idea how much water, or the amount of high pressure you used but it caused a misfire, which could have been enough force to cause belt to jump a few teeth especially on a wet, maybe loose timing belt. The point that 2,4,6,8 all threw codes would make me want to check timing on that bank to rule that out. Its well explained in the other thread you posted a question in, and also in the FSM for timing belt service.

Basically you would rotate the crankshaft where the mark on the crank pulley is pointing to the 0 degree timing mark. Remove PS cam cover to inspect punch mark on cam gear is lined up with the check mark on the behind the cam gear. It may take two full revolutions of the crank pulley to get the cam gear to line up-

We can walk you through this if you need help.
I am working on the timing and wondering how to adjust the timing without taking everything apart? It appears that it is off.

Washing causing timing to skip would be a new one to me. Take some photos to confirm.
20210308_155155.jpg

20210308_155205.jpg

20210308_155149.jpg

Please post pictures before you do anything else- give us a look at your cam gears and where your crank pulley is set to.

If your timing is in fact off- you’ll be digging in and following the same process as replacing timing belt.

What is the age and mileage on current TB?

Need a straight on shot of the PS cam gear. Looks like its off

Reactions: MJK
Please post pictures before you do anything else- give us a look at your cam gears and where your crank pulley is set to.

If your timing is in fact off- you’ll be digging in and following the same process as replacing timing belt.

What is the age and mileage on current TB?
2 years old. About 10k miles on New belt

Yup- way off not just a few teeth but 5 or 6. Now you know what your up for. Double check that the idler and and tensioner were replaced at your last TB job- Id suggest replacing the tensioner as it may have been damaged. Fully inspect belt too.

Theres some white residue on the cam gear and belt edge- what kind of wash did you use? If it was caustic is may affect your belt life.

Yup- way off not just a few teeth but 5 or 6. Now you know what your up for. Double check that the idler and and tensioner were replaced at your last TB job- Id suggest replacing the tensioner as it may have been damaged. Fully inspect belt too.

Theres some white residue on the cam gear and belt edge- what kind of wash did you use? If it was caustic is may affect your belt life.
I used simple green to degrease the engine. not sure if it caused the white residue. it did seem pretty sealed up with absolutely no water within the timing cover. Since I will replace the timing belt and the tensioner, what else do you recommend changing at the same time? it has 218k and no real service history. where should I get the parts?

Do some searching here on the forum for suggested 180k-200k additional parts list- or wait a minute for half dozen suggestions. Really easy to get going into mission creep here. So depends in your budget, how long you keep it and how youll use it.

Since you have no history of whats been replaced, then Id consider the full suite: toyota (mitsuboshi) belt, aisin tensioner, koyo Idler pulley, koyo tensioner pulley, aisin fan bracket, new coolant, thermostat, radiator cap . . .

Buy from a reputable source: Cruiser Outfitters or one of the many online oem dealers who provide good discounts: not ebay or amazon

Good luck

I used simple green to degrease the engine. not sure if it caused the white residue. it did seem pretty sealed up with absolutely no water within the timing cover. Since I will replace the timing belt and the tensioner, what else do you recommend changing at the same time? it has 218k and no real service history. where should I get the parts?

Water pump, thermostat, and then drive it for awhile. It's easy to start replacing everything on these before they need it. Resist!

Well I'll be damned. I agree. Pass cam is off by 5(?) teeth.

I have no idea how that happens due to water (with simple green or otherwise), but you gotta fix it for sure. Is the belt loose, or missing teeth or ???

Aisin timing belt kit (incl WP), new timing idler and tensioner (Toyota) would be my vote. I know you don't need it by miles, but anything that skips makes me question the quality of the parts. Maybe tensioner? In any case, parts are cheap compared to labor.

Add in a thermostat, heater tees and a coolant flush if it has been a while. Maybe a fan bracket too.

Would you mind pulling the EFI relay and posting a video of the engine turning over? I'm curious as to how loose the TB is, or what is sticking and causing it to jump. If something is really sticking causing the TB to jump teeth, just replacing random stuff may not actually fix your issue.

Finding root cause and all ...

Last edited:
Something apart from water is helping to cause this, IMO.

If memory serves, the only things on that TB loop are the cams, crank, idler, tensioner and water pump.

That is why I'd replace what I mentioned above, unless you find something REALLY stupid during disassembly. Like the pin still in the tensioner or similar. But even then, if its all apart...

I'd end up doing it all anyways, while I was in there. That phrase is an expensive one for me.

Would you mind pulling the EFI relay and posting a video of the engine turning over? I'm curious as to how loose the TB is, or what is sticking causing it to jump. If something is really sticking causing the TB to jump teeth, just replacing random stuff may not actually fix your issue.

Finding root cause and all ...
I will try that because I am shocked at what I found with the mechanic. He was confused by the live techstream data. He was not a fan of the checking the timing belt but he was out of ideas and I mentioned that it has happened to another member of the forum.

The belt tension and teeth looked fine. There was a very small area (maybe 2-3 teeth length) of the belt which was worn on the PS cam but looked new otherwise. If I was to guess, I would assume that the timing belt and water pump was replaced 2 years ago as per PO, but the mechanic likely did not replace the tensioner. Any other ideas?

More likely it was a weak tensioner or some debris got caught or washed into the belt.

Make sure the small lower plastic protective cover is there. Sometimes gets left out of reinstall after TB service- No.#1 culprit to getting debris caugt in the belt.

This did not happen because of pressure washing. Maybe the P.O. used crap belt and or tensioner or you had a little critter living in there. Did you have evidence of mice under hood prior to cleaning? Anyway do it all why you're there and it must be a relief to finally know where you're at with this truck. Good luck.

If you are having someone do this belt for you, put it on the list that they check the cam gear pin on that one that moved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom