Help! Doing Birfs Missing Thrust Washer! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

teejnut

SILVER Star
Threads
So I'm in the middle of doing my birfs, hoping to finish today if possible. Removed the passenger side and everything was fine except for the two 54mm nuts... I guess the PO or mechanic didn't have the correct socket when replacing the rotors so they used a screwdriver and a hammer! :mad: It wasn't too big of a deal as I just hammer the little indents back to normal... :mad:

Anyways on the driver side I'm missing the thrust washer. It's Sunday so all the local Toyota parts department are closed. How big of a deal is the thrust washer? Can I drive around without it? If I need it then I'll probably just put back everything together until that point since I don't want to take stuff apart again... and then get the part and finish the job next weekend. :frown:

And thanks for all the write-ups! Made the job pretty easy :)

Thanks,
TJ

Don't know where you are but if close to Riverside and you are mobile, I have two...

I'm in Burbank. Would you be interested in sending it to me? It's not too big of a deal if I don't finish since I can drive my other car... I'll send you a PM right now.

Thanks for the advice. I've decided just to finish what I can w/o the driver side thrust washer. I gotta head down to SD for work in a few hours so I rather just finish and clean up what I can. W/o the thrust washer I can still put the birfs and most of the hub together, and I'll just finish next weekend when I'm back in town and get the part. Miss driving my other car anyways... been driving the 80 as my DD.

I can send them out first thing in the AM if you want, even FedEx if you really really want them fast. The part number for them is 90214-42030. I've got a pair new in the bag from Dan.

You can get to that washer with the wheel on. Reassemble, don't drive, and simply enter through the hub when you have the part.

Nuff said.

Double check and make sure it's not stuck to the wheel bearing. I thought mine were missing also, but after a close look found them stuck to the side of the outer wheel bearings I had tossed. They blend in nicely.

:beer:
Rookie2

Double check and make sure it's not stuck to the wheel bearing. I thought mine were missing also, but after a close look found them stuck to the side of the outer wheel bearings I had tossed. They blend in nicely.

:beer:
Rookie2

Ditto, I "lost" one when I rebuilt my front axle the first time. It was stuck to the old wheel bearing I was replacing and was sitting quite contently in the trash bin, still stuck to the old bearing, until I realized my error and rescued it.

Ary

Ditto, I "lost" one when I rebuilt my front axle the first time. It was stuck to the old wheel bearing I was replacing and was sitting quite contently in the trash bin, still stuck to the old bearing, until I realized my error and rescued it.

Ary

I found it! Thanks a bunch everyone for the help/advice, I found it in my trash with the outer wheel bearing. :doh:clownmidget thanks for the offer as well.

One other question though. So I put the passenger side back together. The birf is flush with the drive plate, I saw on the write-up to get a M8 x 1.25 bolt to pull it out to insert the C-clip. Is this normal or did I do something wrong? I put everything back according to the FSM specs including the spring tension.

Thanks,
TJ

...So I put the passenger side back together. The birf is flush with the drive plate, I saw on the write-up to get a M8 x 1.25 bolt to pull it out to insert the C-clip. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

Perfectly normal. Screw the bolt in, pull outward on the axle with a pair of vice grips clamped to the bolt and pop the C-clip on.

Glad you found it!

If you can't find the proper thread bolt, just use a drywall/deck screw or similar. You can stick it in there, cock it to the side, and pull. The threads will engage enough to pull the birf out. You don't need a lot of force.

Ary

Perfectly normal. Screw the bolt in, pull outward on the axle with a pair of vice grips clamped to the bolt and pop the C-clip on.

Glad you found it!

If you can't find the proper thread bolt, just use a drywall/deck screw or similar. You can stick it in there, cock it to the side, and pull. The threads will engage enough to pull the birf out. You don't need a lot of force.

Ary

Thanks guys! I'll probably just pick up the right bolt since I won't be able to work on the car until the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom