HELP! Cross threaded upper shock mount bolts.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That would be a first that I’ve seen that. Do you have a picture of this?

No, i dont. I just did my shocks this past weekend so its still fresh in my memory.

Ill see if i can dig up some rusty spare plates in the shed tomorrow

Last edited:
I'm with Onur, I've seen mine twice in two years and one was L and one was R.

Question, how would someone chase the thread way up there? Not a lot of room to turn that tap handle, etc...is there some sort of extension that can be used? I had a hard time getting one of my bolts in recently, but didn't want to take it back out in fear of what happened here! Haha.

Trust me, each plate has "L" AND "R" stamped on it. On the passenger side plate the R would be stamped near the slot, and on the d.s. plate R is stamped near the hole.
This does not make sense as the plates are definitely a right and a left orientation, So if what your saying is correct they would be marked RLR & LLR
Besides you said trust me,we all know what that means, and I have never known Onur to be Wrong about a part number/designation

and I have never known Onur to be Wrong about a part number/designation

^^^^
There was one time years ago when he thought he was wrong...but turned out to be right. (if that counts) ;)

Some tips:
Always start your bolts and nuts by hand at least 1- 1/2 turns before putting any kind of wrench to it, ratchet or impact.
If you turn the fastener backward in its hole you will feel the start of the threads drop into alignment, then rotate forward a couple of turns to start the fastener. (It takes a little "feel", you'll figure it out)
Get a cheap set of calipers to size bolts, or a thread ID plate from Harbor Freight.
To fix the bolt you'll need a thread file,

DO NOT RUN A DIE DOWN OVER THE BOLT, it will 1) cut it slightly undersiz on the pitch diameter and 2) its a cold formed threaded bolt and you'll create stress risers in the thread root.
Thank you for the tips, will be adding them to my skills box :)

Yup, top surface of the plate, you'll probably have to wire wheel the crust off to see the mark.

This has me perplexed. I just did my rear suspension and could swear that mine was slots to the OUTSIDE, but that could be wrong?
look what I've started, sorry!!! I'm still looking for a definitive answer. One of mine was installed one way and the other in the oposite way...

look what I've started, sorry!!! I'm still looking for a definitive answer. One of mine was installed one way and the other in the oposite way...
I really think slots go towards outside on both sides. I believe thats how they were when i took them off the truck. Trying to remember if i had photos.

I really think slots go towards outside on both sides. I believe thats how they were when i took them off the truck. Trying to remember if i had photos.
I haven't found a diagram which shows either way :hmm:

I haven't found a diagram which shows either way :hmm:

Aren't the brackets angled so you should follow the contour pointing to the shock?
From the 96 FSM: (Not real definitive)

1586458559818.png

Seems like it, I wish the FSM's would have a bit more detail when it comes to that part.
Im 99% sure they only want to bolt up one way since they're not flat. That for me was slit to outside, ensuring they're on the right side.
Only reason i'm even questioning myself was Onur saying opposite, since he knows more than most of us combined on here about these rigs.

Slots are to the out side, these are right/ left sensitive or can only go on one side as they angle two directions.
1586460833845.png

Last edited:
Only reason i'm even questioning myself was Onur saying opposite, since he knows more than most of us combined on here about these rigs.
Precisely why I went and dbl. checked and took a picture ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom