Help Axle swap Kzj78 70 Series Prado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I want to modify my Prado for aesthetic purposes. It is the 70 series kzj78-wide Prado with the flares.

As you know that the prado's front and rear axle widths are different and that they are both narrow to allow the tyres to be flush with the fender (flares). I wish to change that but I'm not sure what is it that I need to change to be able to:

1 - Achieve wider axle width
2 - Have a mounting hub that is designed for a positive offset wheel

In basic terms, I want to make the wheel flush with the flares/fenders as in the Mercedes g-wagons.

I have found that my desired mounting hub (for my desired wheels) and axle width is there in 1995+ 4runner (surf). But I'm unsure as to how many components I need to change/swap from the surf/4runner unto this Prado, to be able to achieve this.

Do I need to swap the whole front and rear axles to achieve this? What else do I need to look out for when doing this? So that I can communicate to my mechanic.

Thanks guys!

I definitely would not be swapping out axles just to keep tires flush.

First question: what tire diameter/width do you want to run? Once you have that figured out, you need to choose a rim with the right offset to put the tire where you want it.

I definitely would not be swapping out axles just to keep tires flush.

First question: what tire diameter/width do you want to run? Once you have that figured out, you need to choose a rim with the right offset to put the tire where you want it.

The wheels I've chosen are 20" with +15 offset. The original offset on the Prado is -25. The PCD and the lugs are the same, and I could fit the 20" +15 offset wheels to the same hub using wheel-spacers to compensate for the difference in the offset, but the wheel still sits deep inside the wheel-well and not flush with the fender as I would want it to be.

You should sell those rims and buy some with the right offset. Personally I'd never buy a 20" rim either, but that's just me, and I'm more into practical things. A 16"-17" rim is a lot more suitable for these vehicles.

If you want a wide tire, you'll need even more negative offset than the Prado original rim.

You should sell those rims and buy some with the right offset. Personally I'd never buy a 20" rim either, but that's just me, and I'm more into practical things. A 16"-17" rim is a lot more suitable for these vehicles.

If you want a wide tire, you'll need even more negative offset than the Prado original rim.

Yes, I could get a higher negative offset but doesn't that means more strain on the hub/bearings? Also I don't intend to run it offroad so I assume rim size won't matter?

I know this forum is more oriented around offroad capabilities of these vehicles but I like the prado more for its aesthetic design.

Here is a photo of the 20" rims on lj78 (narrow). It's done with spacers and the front hub still pops out. These are 4runner 1995+ wheels that fit comfortably over the lip of its short hub.

1990-land-cruiser-prado-lj78-1.jpg

Well, if you want to stick with the 20" rims, it sounds like spacers are probably your best option. Swapping axles is a huge amount of work. If you did swap axles, I guess you'd have to look at axles probably from an 80 series, as they are quite a bit wider.

I wouldn't worry about stress on the bearings/hubs with wide offset rims. These things are built to take a beating. Tons of people run huge tires with wide offset rims on landcruisers. The Prado front axle shafts/birfields/knuckles/spindles/bearings/hubs/disks/calipers are all the same part numbers as on the heavy duty HZJ77. Just as strong. Axle housing is the only difference.

Well, if you want to stick with the 20" rims, it sounds like spacers are probably your best option. Swapping axles is a huge amount of work. If you did swap axles, I guess you'd have to look at axles probably from an 80 series, as they are quite a bit wider.

I wouldn't worry about stress on the bearings/hubs with wide offset rims. These things are built to take a beating. Tons of people run huge tires with wide offset rims on landcruisers. The Prado front axle shafts/birfields/knuckles/spindles/bearings/hubs/disks/calipers are all the same part numbers as on the heavy duty HZJ77. Just as strong. Axle housing is the only difference.
Hello I'm in interested in buying some rims locally as well, but there has to be a limit on the -negative offset correct? I'm looking at are -44 offset is that too much and has anyone else ran wheels with that much offset?

Hello I'm in interested in buying some rims locally as well, but there has to be a limit on the -negative offset correct? I'm looking at are -44 offset is that too much and has anyone else ran wheels with that much offset?

What is the rim size? If it's a 10" wide rim, -44 offset is probably right. I think the light duty 70 series needs about 3.25" backspace. I have 15x8" rims -27mm offset with 35x12.5r15. They work well.

What is the rim size? If it's a 10" wide rim, -44 offset is probably right. I think the light duty 70 series needs about 3.25" backspace. I have 15x8" rims -27mm offset with 35x12.5r15. They work well.
Sorry should have mentioned that info earlier, it's a 15in rim 8in wide. You think -44 won't cause any rubbing anywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom