Help an idiot - pulled dizzy without marking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All -

I'm an idiot... I admit it. I was in a hurry last afternoon and pulled my distributor without marking the position of the rotor (I did mark for distributor body position on the block).

How can I get it back in without pulling the valve cover to verify TDC, etc.?

Thanks!

use the timing mark and the balancer to get it to TDC. 50/50 chance if you are going to be on right stroke. you could pull the #1 plug and slowly turn the crank and wait for it to push air out. that will tell you its the compression stroke and not the exhaust.

Pull spark plug on #1, and put a little bit of air pressure from an air gun into the cylinder. Doesn't take much, if you hear air rushing out from an open valve, you need to spin it one more time. If it builds pressure and leaks down into the crankcase past the rings, you are on point.

pull the #1 spark plug, disconnect the starter from the dizzy, put balled up piece of paper on top of #1 plug, bump the engine until the ball shoots up.

Or, turn the crank to 3, which is TDC. You've got the 50/50 chance of being right.

I did the exact same thing with the dizzy, felt like an idiot. Was a very simple fix.

I have a compression gauge - guessing I can put that in #1 and turn the crank (I have the socket and breaker bar as I've pulled the crank pully before) until I see it build pressure leading up to the bb on the pully moving towards TDC - then align the rotor such that it is pointing at the #1 position on the dizzy?

If so, related dumb question - if facing the pully from the front of the truck - which way does the pully rotate - clockwise or counter?

Thanks all!

I have a compression gauge - guessing I can put that in #1 and turn the crank (I have the socket and breaker bar as I've pulled the crank pully before) until I see it build pressure leading up to the bb on the pully moving towards TDC - then align the rotor such that it is pointing at the #1 position on the dizzy?

If so, related dumb question - if facing the pully from the front of the truck - which way does the pully rotate - clockwise or counter?

Thanks all!

Always clockwise, but even if you get it wrong, just rotate the engine another 180°, pluck the dizzy and reinstall it.

Your rotor will end up pointing (roughly) at where the #1 cylinder post is on your distributor cap BUT you won't start out there when inserting it.

IF you are aware of that....good, if not....let us know and we can walk you through it.

See post #26 below.

Last edited:
Thank you @flintknapper, this was helpful! Will work on this weekend and report back!

Thank you @flintknapper, this was helpful! Will work on this weekend and report back!

Please let us know if you run into any trouble.

Its easy to get the dizzy off one tooth when reinstalling.

Might take several tries.

And if you need clarification on anything....just ask. Lots of folks here familiar with the process and one of us can help you.

And you are not an 'idiot' Sir, this is a common mistake and easily corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom