Help a teacher save money on brake repair bill! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is pretty much confirmed as a leak. I had another mechanic (backyard mechanic...but good) look at it before I am having my other mechanic verify the same thing.

And aside from that, he is not making that much in labor. Just a freakin expensive part.

Thank you though.
I bought a 00 w/270K miles for parts, cheap. Because shop quoted PO ~$4k to fix master & booster. WRONG...Brake leak was at caliper piston in rear PS wheel. I fixed brakes for $150 in parts, and sold the rig as ready to go coast to coast. To be clear it needed a lot parts for other issues as well, but it just cost parts if you wrench.

I've not had to rebuild a 100 series master "yet". I've look at it and would say it's a two :banana::banana:, if you have mechanical skills.

Just some ramblings:
The 3 most common problems with the brake master / booster combo:

1: Electric motor worn out. Can be fixed by replacing the commutator and brushes (brass brush). One issue here is that when the motor is worn, the pump itself will have some wear as well. Haven't heard of anyone who have fixed the motor having a failed pump tho'. Yet.

2: Worn (hardened) seals on the piston. Fixed with a service kit. Cause of sticky pedal. The piston on these masters is a bit special, "double action"; one part for normal use and one part for when the booster fails. (Which gives you weak fronts only, no rears)

3: Leak between reservoir and master.

You could have a combination of 3 and 1, if there isn't a leaking pipe. Brake fluid inside the motor wouldn't do it much good. If you don't have a good place to have the motor fixed (if that's the problem), your best solution is probably finding a 2nd hand part with less than 100 k miles.

To minimize risk of problems, use only t0yota brake fluid. It has the right composition for the seals and valves.

I suspect that there are only two major versions of this master/booster: With or without Atrac/trac (anti-spin/skid), where the latter has 2 separate lines/pipes to the rear brakes. I recently put the master from my 2000 (collision damaged) cruiser into my 2004, as they both had only one line to the rear (No Atrac on diesel cruisers). The part number isn't quite the same, but no problem. It looks like all 100 series get this problem somewhere between 100 k and 300 k miles. My original 2004 was not shot yet, but the motor getting a bit noisy, and the 2000 had only 90 k miles. Planning to refurbish the motor on the 2004 pump, and change the seals, and put it back in when the 2000 pump starts showing the signs.

Last edited:
Can you get more information on location of the leak? Any fluid leaking on driver side floor? Above master cyl or below?
Codes might be that it got too low on fluid.
If you can troubleshoot the issue better, you might get away with just the rebuild covered in my post linked below.

Hey it just brakes, not rocket science. ;)
This is the guy with balls...

Master Cylinder Rebuild - DIY

If as your post mentions it is running down master cylinder, most likely it is fluid reservoir on top of master cylinder. See post #5 in link in my previous post. Reservoir can crack or o-rings fail, those are easy to fix if that is the problem.

Yeah...it is cool that you know what you guys are doing. I can't do that though.

QUESTION: There is a guy that is highly recommended on ih8mud to buy parts from, I believe out of Georgia? Can someone give me his contact info?

This is the cheapest I can find the part brand new, and they will not take returns so I want to make sure I am getting it right.

BRAKE BOOSTER ASSEMBLY, WITH MASTER CYLINDER made by Lexus. #4705060010

upload_2017-1-18_19-48-37.png

Wish you were local, We would rebuild it for close to nothing. Just rebuilt ours at 250k with the goods from the link provided below. I spent about 400 plus my own labor. Then again, we are shop. Brakes are 100% again, The link is a parts breakdown of each individual item that is can be refurbished or replaced. Find a new "reputable" shop or individual that can rebuild a brake master cylinder, it's not (HGP).

Brake Master Cylinder for 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser

Best wishes.

GREAT NEWS!

I took many of your advice and found a mechanic who is willing to give it a shot. I told him not to say no until he had read Master Cylinder Rebuild - DIY (Thank you Skidoo!).

Now I just need that kit. Anyone have a link where it can be bought?

Thanks again everyone! And may you never live on a school teacher's salary :)

Jesus Christ man..... do some research for yourself.

Reminds me of a saying.

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.

For real, this place is all about helping and you reply with this? What's up with that?

@plarsen111 in the first post of the DIY thread there is a part number for a LC. Give you're local Lexus/Toyota dealer a call and tell them you need to get it rebuild kid, they might have it in stock so you can get it immediately and let that mechanic start sooner. If I find some time to look tonight I'll see if I can find it and post it up if someone hasn't already.

Edit, part number in that post appears to be accurate. Double check with the dealership you speak to about it to confirm it's what you need/want. Overhaul Kit - Lexus (04493-60330) | MyLexusParts

Last edited:
Thank you planomateo.

I called our Toyota dealership the other day and when I mentioned I was needing a part for a Lexus, he said he needed to bring up microfiche! So I am pretty sure I am going to have to order it from out of town.

And honestly, I didn't think a dealer or automaker made this part. I figured they would always want to sell the whole part, not have it repaired. I needed the little plastic divider for the cup holder on my Land Cruiser, and the dealer said I would have to buy the whole center console! I paid $50 for the plastic part on eBay. Someone knew the value...lol!

Thanks again everyone. Very awesome.

You can also try at camelbacktoyota in Arizona. those guys have very good deals and above $150 shipping is free.

One other thing. Over in my area, teachers are getting 50K

C1252 HYDRO BOOST PUMP MOTOR FAULT

C1256 ACCUMULATOR PRESSURE LOW

In the first post, these error codes were noted. I remain concerned that just rebuilding the master cylinder won't fix the pump problem, so if you go with that approach, be sure you have the pump operation tested to make sure it's ok. Pump failure means no effective brakes, even with a good master cylinder.

Great catch Sandroad.

And the first mechanic said as much. But he wasn't very responsive when I asked about a possible rebuild.

So I took it to a second mechanic, and he has been much better about being willing to try the rebuild. And then if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Like I said, when it comes to cars, I am one banana at best. I would rather try to only spend $1000 before I spend $3700 though.

Well, the mechanic that said it was too far gone to rebuild. He recommends replacing the entire thing. So I am going to have to buy the entire Master Cylinder and all associated parts.

So I have one more question. Does this part have all this: accumulator, ABS pump, module, and complete master cylinder?

(Note, you will have to scroll down and look at the pictures).

I know I have asked a lot, but this part is $700 cheaper than local, but they will not accept returns so I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks again everyone. It is going to be an expensive one, but we do love the rig.

Phil

Well, the mechanic that said it was too far gone to rebuild. He recommends replacing the entire thing. So I am going to have to buy the entire Master Cylinder and all associated parts.

So I have one more question. Does this part have all this: accumulator, ABS pump, module, and complete master cylinder?

I know I have asked a lot, but this part is $700 cheaper than local, but they will not accept returns so I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks again everyone. It is going to be an expensive one, but we do love the rig.

Phil

Why not just ask the seller to confirm the parts on your links?

You probably seen this, but incase you have not:
Source for rebuilt booster pump on master cylinder

Phil

The part does look like it has the parts needed, based on your first post. Of course there may be some additional small things needed for installation, but likely nothing costing very much. The advice from @bctlex to confirm with your mechanic that this is what he needs for the repair is right on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom