Hello all (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does the Vin on the frame contain vehicle specific information, IE paint code, axle ratio, etc? I've always wondered what axle ratio they used,with a 3 speed trans they weren't low enough IMO.

Does the Vin on the frame contain vehicle specific information, IE paint code, axle ratio, etc? I've always wondered what axle ratio they used,with a 3 speed trans they weren't low enough IMO.

NO , only your Body type , hard top or soft top

U have 4.11 gear ratios 1956-12/78 fj25's , fj40's all had these

try your Low range transfer-case Without Hubs turned and see what happens

I am biased but I like the no top, no doors look. Mine was a factory soft top version; maybe your rig was as well.

Excellent, another question soon to be answered - wether or not this came original with a hard top . Dad bought it as it is in the picture although he did buy an aftermarket soft top and doors.

Raging Matt, funny you mention the tcase, I think the day I drove it home was the first time it's seen the high side in a decade or better. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thank you ALL for the replies. I think I have a new favorite place to hang out. Lots of good information and good people!

Excellent, another question soon to be answered - wether or not this came original with a hard top . Dad bought it as it is in the picture although he did buy an aftermarket soft top and doors.

Raging Matt, funny you mention the tcase, I think the day I drove it home was the first time it's seen the high side in a decade or better. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thank you ALL for the replies. I think I have a new favorite place to hang out. Lots of good information and good people!

Post some good close up photos of the Rear part of the Body Tub , sides and rear this will help answer your ? on weather it was a FST or factory hArd top

when it comes to this topic there are more then a few knowledgeable folks out there on the Forum @65swb45

White 1967 - very nice!! And it looks just like my '67.

fjatam.JPG

Good evening all,

Been poking around a few months now in anticipation of getting my recently inherited LC from my father. Quick back story, he bought this rig roughly 25 years ago to run back and forth to his property where he (actually we) spent many a night and weekend clearing land to build a house. I was a mere teen ager when he bought this ol girl. I was driving on the back roads of rural Ohio long before I had a driver's license...suffice to say I fell in love with "Panda" from the get go. Pops ran the LC pretty regularly for the first 10 years until he moved into his new property at which point it became a glorified atv running trails on the property. It almost never touched a public road from that point on until eventually it got parked in the back of his barn and forgot about for several years. After much prodding and poking "Panda" is now in my hands. I've got my work cut out for me! Dad never abused Panda per se, but he is very frugal and things just kinda got let go when they should have been fixed . Realistically, I want to get Panda road Worthy in the short term so we can cruise local back roads and trails. Enjoy her for a few Summers until the kids are out of the house and I've got the time and money to give Panda the frame off she deserves.

So, the short list to get it back on the road:

Radiator is rotted along the bottom. There is a local guy that re cores radiators, I'm going to take it to him and see what he says.

Brakes all the way around, likely brake lines as well.

All fluids/filters

4wheel drive cable appears frozen

Choke cable missing

I'm sure there will be plenty of other things as I get into it, good news is I drove it 25 miles home last fall, for as long as she sat I was pleasantly surprised. Radiator gave out as I was doing a lap around the property with the kids . Oh well.

One question I have, the only Vin tag I can find is on the passenger side fender well. Is there supposed to be anything else? Doesn't seem to be alot of information on the tag.

View attachment 1679189 View attachment 1679190 View attachment 1679191

I love the fact that you got it from your dad and that you grew up with it being in the family. You have just got your hands on one of the best family heirlooms you can get.

Don’t forget to get your kids involved with it so they have the same memories that you do. Keep it in the family and pass it along when the time comes. Welcome to the obsession and to mud.

Thanks guys! I'm definitely excited to get it back on the road and do some cruisin' this summer.

Finally had a decent weekend this year so I decided to pull the ol girl out for the day to do some spring cleaning in the garage. More pictures as requested!

IMG_20180422_105406453_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180422_165706562.jpg

IMG_20180422_165725877_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180422_165729911_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180422_165750251_HDR.jpg

Please be aware that with your current single circuit brake system, if you spring a leak, you will lose the ability to brake. If you plan to keep it stock original you should really perform a full brake inspection and adjustment before you put many road miles on your 40. You may also want to consider updating to a later dual circuit system. While not "factory stock" for your year, it is a great safety improvement over what you currently have.

Do you have any more pictures of your steering system? The steering gear box in particular, and how it is mated to the column linkages in your last picture. And the panda is great!

Copy that on the brakes John! They are on the hit list (ALL brake lines and R&R of all necessary hardware at all 4 corners).

What specifically are you looking for regarding my column linkage? Condition? I can get some more pictures.

What's the oil viscosity of choice for diffs and trans? I understand 80w90 was originally spec'd, is it worthwhile to use synthetic 75w90?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom