Hello all (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Avoid synthetic oils unless you want leaks. Not really needed and a lot more expensive. Many old Toyotas live long happy lives with dino oil.

The key thing is to keep the oil full, clean, and water-free, and check the vents on your axles and xfer case (pry the caps off, toss the bits, and clamp on some 3/8" fuel line and run the hose up high with a small fuel filter on the end of the line).

Copy that on the brakes John! They are on the hit list (ALL brake lines and R&R of all necessary hardware at all 4 corners).

What specifically are you looking for regarding my column linkage? Condition? I can get some more pictures.

What's the oil viscosity of choice for diffs and trans? I understand 80w90 was originally spec'd, is it worthwhile to use synthetic 75w90?

Your steering joint appears to be pointed to the passenger side but I can't make out another joint headed back towards the driver. So I'm wondering what steering box you have, and where it is mounted. Normally for Saginaw or FJ60, the joint is mounted close to the firewall, with a pretty straight linkage to the gear box. I can't make out any hoses or ps pump, so I'm guessing you have a manual box of some type. Steering conversions on FJ40s are not always done very well, and with more pictures we can let you know if you have a "scary" or "unique" steering conversion. You are fine with 75w90, and I wouldn't spend the extra money for synthetic.

A few more shots of my steering.

My apologies for the poor quality. I had no idea they came out so poorly until I uploaded them on here . I can get some better shots if needed. I will say, it's been a lot of years since I've been under this ol girl but I never noticed the funky angles of the steering shaft. Something definitely looks off.

IMG_20180426_172114719.jpg

IMG_20180426_172125054.jpg

IMG_20180426_172216716.jpg

IMG_20180426_172210489.jpg

So Dino 80w90 in diffs and trans (transfer case as well?) I've got some hard copies on order so I'll be able to answer alot of these questions on my own shortly. Thanks for the patience.
Think I'm gonna just run 15w40 in the engine being I have a healthy stock of it. I just re upped my supply of Mobil Delvac at under $6 per gallon .

Sweet, nice thread, I enjoyed reading it.

I run 15-40 as well-- Lucas. Lots of guys run this wt.

I believe you may have the first FJ40 I have ever seen with rack and pinion steering! I would personally remove that setup and install a more traditional steering system. If you could get some better pictures of how the rack is mounted to the axle, and the steering arm linkages. I'm interested in how they adapted to connect to the steering arms. It looks like they cut and welded the tie rods from the rack to the TRE, and some kind of bracket is welded to the bottom of the axle housing that holds the rack in place?

Last edited:
It's definitely got some goofy angles . I'll make a point to get it pulled back out of the garage and get some better pictures this weekend. Thanks for your help John.

Who is a good source for a replacement radiator?

I finally got around to pulling mine to take it in to a guy that recores them, but its rougher than I thought and am having second thoughts about just replacing it.

Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom