heating a dog house - it's a duplex (1 Viewer)

Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
2,125
Location
Spokane, WA
 
I have built (mostly) a duplex for my two dogs. It's seperated so they each have a room. There is an air gap in the partition wall for air flow. The doors are just loose strips of rubber molding. The walls are insulated and the roof is too. If I'm home, the dogs are in most of the time. Betty is a 45# 6 year old dog and Barney is a 85# puppy.

How can I add some heat in there for when I'm not home?
 
Joined
Mar 28, 2003
Messages
1,457
Location
Somewhere in NJ
 
 
Don't you remember Jim and Tammy Faye Baker's air conditioned doggy house? They put it up for sale after he went to the slammer.:D

They literally hung a window air conditioner off the back of that dog house. I think you'd have to use a heat pump:rolleyes: or you could just put an electric heater in there, but set it on real low so as not to crisp the pups.
 
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
816
Location
El Dorado County CA
Dog House Heat

tonkota said:
I have built (mostly) a duplex for my two dogs. It's seperated so they each have a room. There is an air gap in the partition wall for air flow. The doors are just loose strips of rubber molding. The walls are insulated and the roof is too. If I'm home, the dogs are in most of the time. Betty is a 45# 6 year old dog and Barney is a 85# puppy.

How can I add some heat in there for when I'm not home?

You might install an electric blanket. Be sure to protect the wires and install the blanket well below their bedding for obvious reasons.

JB
 
Joined
Nov 26, 2003
Messages
759
Location
Frankfort, KY
Put some straw in the bottom. You can also rig up some light bulbs in there...that works well to heat up a dog house.
 

wob

Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Messages
2,597
Location
SC
 
 
 
Josh83 said:
Put some straw in the bottom. You can also rig up some light bulbs in there...that works well to heat up a dog house.

Heat lamp would be the easiest to do. It would be pretty trick to mount a pressure sensitive plate in the floor so that it would only come on when they were in there. Or, you could mount a thermostat from a home unit.
 
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Messages
1,557
Location
If ya don't know, I ain't tellin'
 
 
 
Build a fireplace! :flipoff2:

How close to the house is it? :confused: If it's too far to run anything other than electricity, then go to your local farm/feed store and see what they recommend--I seem to remember all sorts of heating options for livestock--electric blankets, space heaters, lights, warming coils for drinking water--they ought to be able to set you up with something appropriate.

Good for you for providing for your dogs. :cheers: Although, unless they're chinese cresteds, they probably just need a bunch of straw and some fresh food and water every day. :D
 

wob

Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Messages
2,597
Location
SC
 
 
 
Jman said:
they probably just need a bunch of straw and some fresh food and water every day. :D

That was going to be my first suggestion.

:D
 
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
2,125
Location
Spokane, WA
 
Blankets are out. Barney thinks they taste good. Maybe one 100w bulb will help just enough. I thought about a heat bulb, but they put out too much heat.

I have our old oil burning furnace. It's 80,000 btu so they could stay toasty :)

It is 25ft away from the house. The house will have a chimney. It's a small replica of my house. I'll post pics when it's done.
 
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
133
Probably a low-wattage ordinary light bulb. A heat lamp would make it too hot. You could experiment with a 60 watt and then a 100 watt. I think you'll find they don't need much.

Also, the Tammy and Jim doghouse climate control was justified because Jim got to live in it after he got out of jail.
 
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
4,506
Location
Between Here and There
 
 
 
http://www.leerburg.com/742.htm

Most places have the above in different sizes. The dogs can't chew them up since they are hard. It's like in floor radiant heat for a dog house.

I wouldn't use lamps with cords or heating blankets for obvious reasons.

Just search Kennel or Heating Pad.. Most places in cold areas have em.. Murdochs, Farm supply places that sell pet supplies, Doctors Foster and Smith, Etc.
 
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
785
Location
Nashvegas
 
you could of built a heated floor into the house like you would in your own kitchen. Then just run it off a thermostat.
 
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Messages
2,365
Location
Boise, Id
 
 
 
lingo said:
you could of built a heated floor into the house like you would in your own kitchen. Then just run it off a thermostat.

Pet stores have heat pads for this purpose...not sure how it would hold up to a dog that likes to chew on things. The cord is wrapped/sleaved with a steel spring. We have one, that someone gave us, I used to use it to keep their water from freezing.
 
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Messages
1,557
Location
If ya don't know, I ain't tellin'
 
 
 
tonkota said:
Blankets are out. Barney thinks they taste good. Maybe one 100w bulb will help just enough. I thought about a heat bulb, but they put out too much heat.

I have our old oil burning furnace. It's 80,000 btu so they could stay toasty :)

It is 25ft away from the house. The house will have a chimney. It's a small replica of my house. I'll post pics when it's done.
You, sir, are on crack. :flipoff2:

If it's not fully built yet, yeah, then wire in a bulb (the kind with the full metal cage so the pups can't break it) using romex cable, bury it to the house, maybe add a GFI just to be sure. Maybe leave a space open in the studs to insert a blanket between the floors if you're really concerned. :)
 
Joined
Oct 1, 2005
Messages
2,818
Location
Colorado
tonkota said:
I have built (mostly) a duplex for my two dogs. It's seperated so they each have a room. There is an air gap in the partition wall for air flow. The doors are just loose strips of rubber molding. The walls are insulated and the roof is too. If I'm home, the dogs are in most of the time. Betty is a 45# 6 year old dog and Barney is a 85# puppy.

How can I add some heat in there for when I'm not home?
Don't Barney and Besty get along? Most dogs will snuggle up to each other to keep warm, kind of seems self defeating to eliminate that as an optional heating system. :confused:
 
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
259
How cold does it get and what kind of dogs are they. A heat source may not be good for their health long term. We have a lab and a Tibetan masstiff they love the snow and cold, they use the dog house more in the hot months. Just a tought or two.
 

flintknapper

SILVER Star
Joined
May 22, 2004
Messages
7,986
Location
Deep East Texas
 
 
 
The standard around here is Cedar chips or Straw for bedding, and one 100 watt light bulb. Keeping wind out of the doorway is key to keeping them warm. They will nestle down into wood chips and do pretty well even without any heating. Depends upon what kind of dogs you have, as what their requirements are.

My Lab refuses to go into his insulated dog house unless it pouring rain. In the winter he will have a layer of frost on his neck and shoulders every morning...and couldn't be happier. The beagle acts like she will die if it gets below 65 deg. The Border Collie could live comfortably in Alaska I'm convinced!
 

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,921
Location
Reno, NV
 
 
 
cxs said:
Don't Barney and Besty get along? Most dogs will snuggle up to each other to keep warm, kind of seems self defeating to eliminate that as an optional heating system. :confused:
When I had two Standard Poodles I bought two houses. They alway both crammed into one or the other. :D Usually they just slept in the snow.
If you really think the dogs need heat I'd rig a light bulb inside a 3# coffee can so they don't have to live like POW's under a bare bulb 24/7.
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
1,049
Location
Simpsonville,SC
 
 
 
Just sold a guy some brooder light fixtures and heat bulbs for that very purpose today, put thermostat on that thing and never worry again.
 

Landpimp

GOLD Star
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
16,065
Location
Gig Harbor WA
 
 
 
I made heated dog beds for my old labs years ago, I used the heating wire for a greenhouse........kept then nice and warm
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom