And so begins the next phase of my life.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
After the passing of my border Collie about 7 years ago, I'm finally ready to have another best friend. This blue heeler has been in the local kill shelter for about 5 weeks, so he came home with me yesterday.

I've been thinking about a cattle dog for a long time, has there about the only breed that can keep up with my lifestyle. Last night was the first time I slept on my couch! His bed was next to the couch, and neither of us slept well. I learned that he makes gremlin sounds when he's relaxing and slumbering 😁

Anyway, I need some help with naming him. The shelter named him Luke, not sure if it's fitting for him but let me see what transpires next couple of days.

He is a Blue heeler, not sure of his pedigree or anything. I'm absolutely astounded that he spent the last 5 weeks in the shelter without getting adopted. The young man who introduced us said that he is aloof, which is probably why he wasn't picked. This is the kind of dog I want, someone who just doesn't start licking strangers without checking them out first.

I took my ex-wife with me because I needed some feminine energy, and also to read both of us in the same space. She said that this dog is probably also a Virgo like me, slightly assholish with a tendency to be aloof 😅. She said this dog is perfect for me.

20231022_160458.jpg
20231022_152833.jpg

20231022_173502.jpg

Last edited:
Funny thing, my ex-wife adopted a kitten last week as well. When our daughter met us at the park right after we picked up the dog, she asked us "are you replacing me already"?

Our 17yo moved out two months ago, so we both answered "YES". 😁

Holy cow, I really scored with this pooch. He's settling in nicely and has a calm demeanor. He doesn't bark or jump up on me but is expressing himself with whining at times, and gremlin like sounds all other times. His vocalization is quite amusing to me.

He slept in his crate in my bedroom last night w/o any issues.

He's doing really well on recall and boundary training. i don't have a name so I just whistle and he comes back quickly. He's also pretty good off leash around my property.

Name potential:

Loki - I don't think this boy is mischievous but I do like the name.
Taz - he doesn't seem to be a terror on legs but the day is still young.

I'd like to have a two syllable name for this boy, if possible.

Still looking on the 'net for some ideas.

I adopted an ~2yr old female cattle dog about 6 months ago. Already had a 7yr old male terrier who is the coolest and chillest dog ever, he is an “old soul”, has been calm and chill since he was a pup. This cattle dog, shes a smart one, and high energy. You can tell there is a lot going on inside her head by the way she look at you. Way smarter than my terrier. She has separation anxiety and always has to be the center of attention. Ive read you need to give them a “job” since they arent herding cattle like they were bred to do. I have 1.5 acres, so her job is to protect, at least thats what i told her. She hasnt ran away yet and seems to enjoy having a reliable source of food and love. She has fit in very well to our pack and im stoked she chose us to be her forever home.

Anyhow, you are a rad human for doing this, and im sure you will be paid in full by affection and companionship for years to come.

I like the name Luke personally. If it must be 2 syllables, maybe Luka or Lukah or Looka ? As a play off Luke. Say it with an Australian accent for more flair! Good luck with your new partner.

I adopted an ~2yr old female cattle dog about 6 months ago. Already had a 7yr old male terrier who is the coolest and chillest dog ever, he is an “old soul”, has been calm and chill since he was a pup. This cattle dog, shes a smart one, and high energy. You can tell there is a lot going on inside her head by the way she look at you. Way smarter than my terrier. She has separation anxiety and always has to be the center of attention. Ive read you need to give them a “job” since they arent herding cattle like they were bred to do. I have 1.5 acres, so her job is to protect, at least thats what i told her. She hasnt ran away yet and seems to enjoy having a reliable source of food and love. She has fit in very well to our pack and im stoked she chose us to be her forever home.

Anyhow, you are a rad human for doing this, and im sure you will be paid in full by affection and companionship for years to come.

I like the name Luke personally. If it must be 2 syllables, maybe Luka or Lukah or Looka ? As a play off Luke. Say it with an Australian accent for more flair! Good luck with your new partner.
What a wonderful story, thank you for sharing. I have few acres as well, but I also have to go to work so he is being created in the master bedroom. The crate is for extra large size dog, so he has plenty of room to move around. I still hate to do this for hours and hours, but I'm a single dude and this is the best I can do until we have a rhythm going. In the future, I can see myself taking him to a doggy daycare on my way to work.

I need to figure out how to keep him occupied inside the crate, so if you have any ideas let me know. As of now, he is getting a freshly frozen bone marrow to keep a occupied.

Once he has a name established, along with a reflective vest, we will start MTBing together. This way I can run him after work so that he is able to sleep more soundly. A stroll after work is simply not enough to burn off his excess energy.

I like the idea of versions of the name Luke, and warming up to the idea of Luka.

Ollie it's just too close to my own name, and I want to be able to yell his name when he disappears on me without sounding like I'm calling myself 😁.

Until I picked up this fella last weekend, my plan was to go to Moab to ride this coming weekend. However, we're not there yet. To put them through a daycare while I ride, given where I'm going to be camping is just going to be too much effort on my part. So, we'll stick close to home this weekend and get to know each other more and more.

I think he's got fleas so a bath with fleas shampoo was had yesterday, but he's still scratching himself.

He's settling into our life nicely.

20231025_171309.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom