Heater Hose Replacements (Source) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I recommend buying new Toyota constant clamps for the hoses. makes installation easy. Just hold the clamp in place and remove the tension holder.

While silcone has a higher burst rate that doesn’t matter with a system that only operates at 7psi.

You want rubber hoses and factory tension clamps. Nothing special.

Sealing water hoses is about the rubber bonding to the associated parts. Clamping force is only needed to facilitate the bond. After that it’s the bond that seals the system.

I use regular gates hose, clean the hose and mating nipple with naphtha and install with the factory tension clamp. No issues.

I've been running silicone hoses for cooling for a few years and have had zero issues. That being said, there are different grades and ratings available. If someone tries to use a silicone hose with no reinforcement, they will have a bad time. It's easy to say that OEM rubber is better because, to the uneducated, it is better. All hoses come with nylon reinforcement for the cooling system, but that doesn't mean a rubber hose designed and specced in the late 90s will be better than currently available silicone compounds.

I've been running silicone hoses for cooling for a few years and have had zero issues. That being said, there are different grades and ratings available. If someone tries to use a silicone hose with no reinforcement, they will have a bad time. It's easy to say that OEM rubber is better because, to the uneducated, it is better. All hoses come with nylon reinforcement for the cooling system, but that doesn't mean a rubber hose designed and specced in the late 90s will be better than currently available silicone compounds.
Glossing over the fact that you likely, unintentionally called a bunch of people uneducated, I think you should know that everyone would have only assumed that any hosed would be reinforced. The lack of reinforcement is a new dynamic introduced in your post. I agree that you can likely get good silicone hoses for the job, however I would ask if there are there many OEM deployments of silicone coolant hoses and what are the real benefits to them over the rubber. If they last longer and handle higher pressure etc that's good. Maybe they even handle heat and chemical exposure better. But for the core of its Job. It has to be better not just be a cool color.

If they are not widely accepted by OEM, then one would ask why? Did they fail durability tests, cost too much. What was it that fails to keep them from being the norm for coolant hoses?

I am not against them but in order to change minds on the subject one needs to provide evidence of the newer or even show which ones are better as we already have examples and evidence of some having weaping issues etc.

:idea:

61GPIYXJUnL._AC_SL1250_.jpg

61Hgkhys5QL._AC_SL1250_.jpg

61qt2SaI89L._AC_SY355_.jpg

61-ZKpdGz0L._AC_SY355_.jpg

71aHDB-jYoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71eIlcOKeyL._AC_SL1250_.jpg

As pointed out before the cooling system operates at a low pressure. The radiator cap is the release valve if the pressure gets too high. If your system is functioning properly you will never need the extra "strength" offered by silicon hoses. If it's not working properly better hoses aren't going to save you anyway.

Stick to rubber, OEM is great, but Gates aftermarket have worked fine for me on many vehicles, including my 80, for my 3+ decades of driving and wrenching on cars. Save the silicon hoses for the turbo setup you need to install. 😬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom