Heater blower motor and housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1978 SA FJ 40 and need to replace heater blower and housing. I’ve located a few used but the seller doesn’t know the year. I’ve seen them listed for sale pre 1973 and post 1973. Anyone know what I should look for so I don’t accidentally buy a pre-73 unit? Are they interchangeable? Mine was hacked with non Toyota motor by a prior owner so can’t compare my current unit to for sale units. Appreciate the help.

Kevin

Since a factory was never used in most SA 40 series would post pictures of what you have. 9/73 was the start of the 74 model and when the actual heater, duct and blower changed.

Look for this type:
Zeke heater.JPG

Two defrost hoses on the sides, rectangular fresh air tube on passenger side.

That is the style heater that started with the 74 model. Blower motor housing under the hood should be plastic. Plug for the motor changed at least once on the post 73 motor but motor should all work if post 73. Just be sure it' for LHD. Guessing squirrel cage is reversed on RHD and motor spins the opposite direction.

Thanks for the responses. See pics of heater and blower motor below. As you can see someone cut the motor housing and riveted a different motor. It isn’t hooked up and thought I’d try to get it back to stock before trying to get the wiring figured out. Just want to make sure I buy the right unit and then I’m sure I’ll have questions about getting it hooked up.

488EDF4A-861F-43CA-874D-75F10C00C3F4.jpeg

B1B7EBC5-13A2-4273-9D1B-6F98330ED56E.jpeg

It looks like you have a pre 73 version.

It looks like you have a pre 73 version.
Housing is but that is not the matching motor. Personally would replace the housing and motor. Believe if you purchased just a motor would find the hosuing have been cut on top.

The other picture above I thought was from the original poster of the thread. Thought it looked very clean for a SA cruiser which believe is a not factory heater market. After 9/73 if you have a operating vent in the center of the cowl the heater wasn't factory installed. Few years after 9/73 still had vent but was welded closed. It was not have the bracket under the dash to support the rod to operate the vent as the new heater with a vent on the top filled that space. That heater is actually even earlier the 73. On a 73 and possibly a 72 the small handle at the base to move the damper wouldbe attached to the damper on the driver's side opening in the bottom of the heater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom