Heart transplant for my 74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok guys I'm in need of some wiring help. I've gotten my engine installed as a good tested starter I'm having some problems wiring it all back up. I've tried looking at the wiring diagram but I couldn't decider it. In its current state I have power to the amp gauge when I turn the key on but when I try and turn it over only the starter solenoid engages. I know I probably don't have something wired up but just not sure exactly what. In the meantime I'm going to get to work rebuilding the parking brake.

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

You need to run that big red wire from the battery to the big lug on the starter.

Quick update: I finally got the shoes and all replaced on my parking brake. Big shout out to @Trollhole for uploading all the fsm it made the job much easier. I'll probably finish get the parking brake buttoned up tomorrow. Also decided to go ahead and upgrade to a gear reduction starter. That should get here beginning of next week. Hopefully I can have a running driving truck by then...

IMG_2005.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to get a little bit done today. My starter showed up sooner than I expected. I got that installed and it works dang good. I messed around with starting the engine up and got it fire up briefly with some starter fluid but couldn't get it to run and idle like I hoped. I'm guessing that's due to a bunch of hoses and that wireI still haven't hooked up. I know i need to run the vac line from the dizzy to the carb but I have no idea as to what the others run to. I was trying to look in the fsm but couldn't find any info. Any help identifying where these hoses and wire go would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

That wire probably should go to your fuel cut-off solenoid. Run a hose from your PCV to that tube at the carb spacer. That throttle positioning gizmo (drivers side top of the carb) I hooked a vac line between it and a nipple same side at the base of the carb. The big opening on the valve cover went to your air cleaner. Cap off what's on the intake manifold.
20180519_084325.jpg
20180519_084337.jpg

@Pighead thanks for the help. I guess you could say today was two steps forward and one back. I the seal for the parking brake installed. I also decided to go ahead and drain the tranny fluid and refill it since I was doing the tcase. I got the tranny filled up and no leaks:clap: but after that things went down hill. As I was filling the tcase I realized it was leaking BAD. It looked to be coming from behind the piece around the output. I'm not sure on the correct name but I have a picture to clarify. I'm guessing it needs a new gasket or I installed something wrong? Also i have also started to think my engine problems are due to the distrubor being way out of time. I got it start up briefly with some starter fluid and the engine revved up pretty high before dying. Correct me on this if I'm wrong.

IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

As I was filling the tcase I realized it was leaking BAD. Correct me on this if I'm wrong.

No, you're right. That's leaking bad...are those bolts even snugged down? As for your engine revving high, could be one or more reasons for that, certainly a distribubor being way out of time (probably too far advanced) would account for that.

No, you're right. That's leaking bad...are those bolts even snugged down? As for your engine revving high, could be one or more reasons for that, certainly a distribubor being way out of time (probably too far advanced) would account for that.
I just realized I forgot to to put the spedometer cable in :doh::doh: so I'm guess that's where it's was coming from.

I'm having a lot of problems get the distributor to correctly seat is there a special trick for doing this?

Pighead's solo dist. seating maneuver: get a big end wrench that will reach between the hot lead and the solenoid on the starter motor (or one of those fancy remote starter things), put that in your left hand. Lean over the fender, maybe standing on the tire, put your right hand on the dist. cap, putting your weight on the cap. Tranny in neutral obviously, jump the starter motor to rotate the engine. You'll feel the dist. fall that last 1/4" and seat with an audible thump.

Ahhh thanks!

I’m still having ignition and timing woes.... I pulled the distributor and set to tdc using the B.B. on the flywheel but still nothing. Pulled it out turned it again thinking I was maybe 360 out but still nada. I was reading the procedure in the manual and it was saying the rockers on #6 should both be closed but I have yet to line the B.B. up and have both closed. Not really sure where to go from here.

F9C98B13-C49B-41B5-8E08-A1917BBBB281.jpeg

76F01884-F206-4B6C-A053-E985919BE953.jpeg

Edit: I have pulled a plug and confirmed I have spark...

Update! Finally got the distrubor and timing corrected and got it to idle for about 20 seconds but then stumbled and die when I tried to give is some gas. I'm guessing the carb has some crud in it from sitting a couple years. Hopefully come carb cleaner and a few old carb tricks with sort that out.

@Pighead One more question about hoses. What does this on the side of my intake go to? Would it hurt to cap it off?

12E3927F-47BC-4D02-8664-FE52AC9B0109.jpeg

That's the vacuum source for the brake booster...

Its been a while but its finally time for an update! With all this corona crap going on I've had plenty of time on my hands so I finally got around to rebuilding my brakes. Nothing too exciting there but I do not recommend the drum brake hard wear kit from cruiser corps.... the brake shoe retaining pin was too short so i just ended up using my old springs and pins. Other than that everything went pretty smoothly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom