Headlight bulb question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Call candlepower or Vosla if you are questioning my info

I really am just looking for the source of the 3000 lumen information. As I said, if I could get 33% more light by upgrading bulbs (a very cheap prospect), I'd be all over that. I'm finding conflicting information and was wondering where you got your information. Not trying to offend.

I really am just looking for the source of the 3000 lumen information. As I said, if I could get 33% more light by upgrading bulbs (a very cheap prospect), I'd be all over that. I'm finding conflicting information and was wondering where you got your information. Not trying to offend.

All the more reason you should go to the manufacturer for the best most reliable source.

Last edited:
I could not find any data sheets on the Vosla web site. I will contact Candlepower and report back to the group.

IMHO, pure white is regarded at the ideal headlight color. The kelvin rating will differ slightly depending on the type of light it is but generally speaking pure white is roughly 5000k-5500k. So my 6000k lights have a very slight hint of blue to them but are much closer to pure white.
I’d hardly call it a poor choice. But this is a topic that some seem to have strong opinions about.

It is my understanding that 3500K is a better light for headlights. Less glare under various conditions (fog, rain, snow). No expert here, just what I've read.

On the topic of headlights, I'd love laser lights on all my rides. Not the dumbed down US market headlights, but the ones OEMs like BMW and Audi push out to the rest of the world unfettered by US regulations written up in the Paleolithic Age.

Audi's New Headlights Are Crazy Swanky—Too Bad They're Not Allowed in the US

Circling back to our dinosaur 80, I've yet to come across a set of headlights that perform as well as the stock setup. I'm not just talking about one single data point (e.g. lumens or brightness), but a complete package that throws out more light while not creating a safety issue for other drivers sharing the road with me. Sure it's easy to swap in a brighter, higher Kelvin LED or incandescent bulb, but more often than not, what I've experienced is seriously shortened bulb life and insane glare because the stock housing was never ever designed to handle these newer, brighter, hotter light sources.

I see ICON 4x4s with sweet looking headlight units built with LEDs from the ground up, but I've yet to run across a vendor who has committed to making a setup that similarly looks cool and performs well on an 80 series.

maxresdefault.jpg

Until some entrepreneurial engineer comes up with an awesome set of LED headlights bespoke to the 80 series, I'll enjoy my old school cool stock bulbs, stock housing and stock reliability.

911 ecosystem has some decent options for their older gens

Last edited:
It is my understanding that 3500K is a better light for headlights. Less glare under various conditions (fog, rain, snow). No expert here, just what I've read.
3500k is a common temp for many factory halogen headlamps. It's a pretty warm color. The LEDs I have I dont believe increased light output by much but the whiter color improved visibility. As I said before the 6000k that I have is a bit beyond the ideal IMO. 5000-5500k is what I consider the preferred color temp.

I had a car a few years back with HID projectors (factory) that were 5000k. They were awesome lights.

I wrote Candlepower and their reply was that Vosla, Philips, and Osram bulbs all put out the same amount of light. There can be slight variations from bulb to bulb, but all three of these manufacturers nominal output for 9011 bulbs is the same. No advantage of one brand over another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom