Headlight bulb question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not all HIR's are created equal. Wagoner lamps also have nice color at 3450° but only ~75% the output (2350 lumens) of the Vosla

That is good to know. Where did you come across this information? Candlepower, whom I have always trusted, doesn't indicate any difference from what I can tell and seems to sell them all as interchangable.

3rd Generation HIR1 - 9011

Last edited:
That is good to know. Where did you come across this information? Candlepower, whom I have always trusted, doesn't indicate any difference from what I can tell and seems to sell them all as interchangable.

3rd Generation HIR1 - 9011

Not sure what info you are looking for and Im not understanding what is meant by interchangable?

No doubt, that is the worst "pattern" I have ever seen, no focus, spread, shoulder light, etc, just two uncontrolled blobs.

Add some high-saturation ground-level moisture (re: East Coast) and now, with that beam pattern, you are blinded by your own lights.

Add some high-saturation ground-level moisture (re: East Coast) and now, with that beam pattern, you are blinded by your own lights.
I understand what you're saying but all I can say is that with the stock bulbs in heavy rain and saturated roads the lights did almost nothing. The reflection off the wet roads killed any light that was hitting it. I might as well have had my lights off. With the LED bulbs I can actually see the road in those conditions.
In heavy fog they work well too. Now if I turn on my lightbar there is horrible whiteout reflection off the fog (I don't drive around with my lightbar on). But the headlights are still a big improvement over stock.

While I understand the science behind the pattern and different lights, my personal, realworld experience has not been any of the terrible side effects that many of you have mentioned.

I understand what you're saying but all I can say is that with the stock bulbs in heavy rain and saturated roads the lights did almost nothing. The reflection off the wet roads killed any light that was hitting it. I might as well have had my lights off. With the LED bulbs I can actually see the road in those conditions.
In heavy fog they work well too. Now if I turn on my lightbar there is horrible whiteout reflection off the fog (I don't drive around with my lightbar on). But the headlights are still a big improvement over stock.

While I understand the science behind the pattern and different lights, my personal, realworld experience has not been any of the terrible side effects that many of you have mentioned.

What color temp are the LED you are using?

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I love the old school OEM glow behind the OEM glass. Replaced all my bulbs with new factory units and hoping they last a long time. I've never been one to use aftermarket lighting products and never will.

My other car has adaptive LED lights coded to factory RoW spec. The light shape constantly adjusts to traffic conditions. I'm not sure it's all that much better than what's on the 80. It's different. I just constantly drive the pig pretty slow since braking and turning suck.

Where I live there's a ton of light pollution. Obviously, YMMV.

Last edited:
Not sure what info you are looking for and Im not understanding what is meant by interchangable?

Candlepower carries Osram, Vosla, and Philips. There is no mention that any of them have higher output than the others and when you go to order, it does not look like you can specify the brand. So I was wondering where you got the information that Philips is only 75% as bright as Vosla?

IMHO, that is a poor color for headlights.
IMHO, pure white is regarded at the ideal headlight color. The kelvin rating will differ slightly depending on the type of light it is but generally speaking pure white is roughly 5000k-5500k. So my 6000k lights have a very slight hint of blue to them but are much closer to pure white.
I’d hardly call it a poor choice. But this is a topic that some seem to have strong opinions about.
BA335166-A69B-40B5-ABE8-C94D947F16EC.jpeg

Here in LA the motto is Do You. Unless someone’s paying for my mess, whatever.

Getting blinded by aftermarket lights does kinda suck though, but that train left the station ever since HIDs were released and blue envy disease infected all the peasant minded drivers the world over.

#triggered ;)

just kidding. But seriously, all I can say is that this setup is MUCH safer for me as a driver compared to the stock headlights. Visibility is terrible IMO with stock headlights, especially on rainy, wet roads at night. I would argue that my ability to drive more safely offsets (or improves on the safety for all) compared to the horrible light output of stock lights. But it is in no way "thoughlessly" tossed in with "no regard". Sorry.

I don't disagree that the ideal solution is to modify the housings with projectors or to use HIRs. But I see newer HID headlights (even with cutoff) that are more distracting to oncoming drivers than these are.

Me me me,it's all about me:moon: trust me your junk LED headlights are blinding people, so many ignorant people think it is ok, well think about other people, it is not all about you, pony up and get the correct bulbs and quiet be a jackwagon :deadhorse:

Me me me,it's all about me:moon: trust me your junk LED headlights are blinding people, so many ignorant people think it is ok, well think about other people, it is not all about you, pony up and get the correct bulbs and quiet be a jackwagon :deadhorse:
LOL. yessir. I'll get right on that. I'll pull my junk 1FZ as well and get a proper 6BT in it's place. Of all the people to accuse someone of only thinking about themself, I sure see a lot of your posts and comments calling people out because they have something different than you. ;)

Listen, I've said multiple times in this thread that I recognize it might not be the best solution, but I responded to a question from the OP with a solution. I'm sure he appreciates hearing the other side of it so he can make the right choice for himself.

But to clarify, my truck is not a daily driver and not driven at night all that often anymore. It's mostly a trail rig at this point. There's not a lot of oncoming traffic on the trails so I don't think I'm putting anyone in danger but thank you for your concern.

LOL. yessir. I'll get right on that. I'll pull my junk 1FZ as well and get a proper 6BT in it's place. Of all the people to accuse someone of only thinking about themself, I sure see a lot of your posts and comments calling people out because they have something different than you. ;)

Listen, I've said multiple times in this thread that I recognize it might not be the best solution, but I responded to a question from the OP with a solution. I'm sure he appreciates hearing the other side of it so he can make the right choice for himself.

But to clarify, my truck is not a daily driver and not driven at night all that often anymore. It's mostly a trail rig at this point. There's not a lot of oncoming traffic on the trails so I don't think I'm putting anyone in danger but thank you for your concern.

Ok you get a pass :hillbilly: , it just sucks because of someone nearly killing me years ago, that I am sensitive to lights, and there are a bunch of them here, and I get pissed at people who only think of themselves, but you do care :flipoff2:

phew! glad I got a pass. :hillbilly: Believe it or not I don't intentionally do anything that could be dangerous. I try to put a lot of thought into the mods I do.

I appreciate the discussion in this thread. I've learned a couple new things and like that there has been discussion from multiple points of view.

phew! glad I got a pass. :hillbilly: Believe it or not I don't intentionally do anything that could be dangerous. I try to put a lot of thought into the mods I do.

I appreciate the discussion in this thread. I've learned a couple new things and like that there has been discussion from multiple points of view.

I have the Sylvania really bright and they are pretty good I live in Oregon and there ain't many street lights

My youngest son has the 60w 6000K LED's in the OEM headlights and they really help (much safer) with driving at night. Never been flashed with brights and I say if anyone really gets annoyed by them then they need this:
Tac Visor™ | Exclusive Web Offer
@seattle80series I say spend the 30 bucks and reply back with your experience.

Testing HIR lamps - What I found

Vosla HIR1/9011 - 3000 lumens output @ 3450°K A very bright lamp with excellent color

Not all HIR's are created equal. Wagoner lamps also have nice color at 3450° but only ~75% the output (2350 lumens) of the Vosla

I'm hoping you can point me in the direction to the information that shows Vosla better than Philips. The only place that I found that list Vosla as 3000 lumens was Rallylights.com, and found lots of threads that challenged that information. AFAIK, all 9011 bulbs (of course non-forgery ones) are created equal and there is no difference between the big three brands (Vosla, Philips, Osram) which is why you can't even specify brand when you purchase them from Candlepower. Would love to upgrade my Philips to Vosla if they actually produce more light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom