Header on a 3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"I run 89 octane in my 2F-E wagon with no problems."

That is good to hear. I didn't want to have to run premium like I do in my 3FE. So the 2F head doesn't raise the compression on a 3FE block? Or at least enough to make it ping. I am still wondering about the 3FE ECU and the RV cam, but I guess when somebody tries it we will find out.

Aseif007 said:
"I run 89 octane in my 2F-E wagon with no problems."

So the 2F head doesn't raise the compression on a 3FE block? Or at least enough to make it ping. I am still wondering about the 3FE ECU and the RV cam, but I guess when somebody tries it we will find out.

Wait, you are running a 2F head on a 3F-E block? Why?

I've been told that the 3F-E ECU is a closed loop system and that it will learn the new setup. However, I don't think that a cam with more lift is a good idea. You should replace the valve springs then too.

As far as I know, the 3F-E head is the same, except for the relief cut out for the injectors.

oops typed too fast, what I meant was this:

So the 3FE head doesn't raise the compression on a 2F block? Or at least enough to make it ping. I am still wondering about the 3FE ECU and the RV cam, but I guess when somebody tries it we will find out.

Thats better.

tonkota said:
I've been told that the 3F-E ECU is a closed loop system...

It is. Took it a couple starts to reprogram itself when I got back from Kyrgyzstan and again when I put the DirectHits system it. Engine stumbled and missed a bunch of times. I just let it run for a minute or two, stop it, then start it up again and it's usually fine then. Took it a while to bring the idle back down when I took out my air injection system though.

how would the cam mess with the ECU?

Different lift and durations cause different cylinder pressures and airflow rates

But with an airflow sensor it should be able to compensate fuel trims and still idle and cruise correctly......................

I'm not familiar with the 3F-E but is it MAF or Vane air meter

MAF is better but usually later model............

well if the RV shaft doesnt work it will be on ebay!

tonkota said:
alright. that sounds better.

my opinion on the cam is above. Take it for what ever you like :)
Tonkota, I'm currently in the process of building a 2fe and would like to tell you nice on job on the TT article. It's been very helpful for me so far. I was wondering why you choose to run the 3fe cam instead of the 2f. What would be the problem with using the 2f cam. I've got both, just wondering if its worth swapping out.

KC Hargis

Stock 3F and 2F cams have the same part number. I had a 3F that was good, so that is what I used. It really doesn't matter though.

I'm glad that you like the writeup. Are you doing it the same way? Let me know how it turns out for you. I know that things sometimes end up differently for some people.

Good luck

tonkota said:
Stock 3F and 2F cams have the same part number. I had a 3F that was good, so that is what I used. It really doesn't matter though.

I'm glad that you like the writeup. Are you doing it the same way? Let me know how it turns out for you. I know that things sometimes end up differently for some people.

Good luck
I'm going to basically do set it up the same, but I am going to put it in my 79' 40I have an entire 3fe set-up and was hoping I could use my 79' 2f since it was freshly rebuilt, but I soon realized that was not practical so I found an 85' 2f short block that I just finished cleaning up and painting. Hopefully, I will be finished with it in the next couple of weeks. I'm doing a frame-off and am putting it back together now. It is turning out real nice so far, at the same time she is getting an h41, orion, soa, 4.88s and lockers.

Here in venezuela a lot of people have done what you call 2FE, here we call it 2fPlus.

I raise the compression ratio, but it doesnt ping. The engine runs quite well, better than a 2f or a 3f.
We put an FJ70 fitted with a 2F Plus engine vs an FZJ-70 fitted with a 1ZF-E Carburated engin from 0 to 60 mph.

They were almost the same (FZJ took about 1 car of advantage)

On FJ70 when you make the conversion you have to make a modification on the enginemounts because that model came here with a 3F engine.

On FJ40 I dont know about 2fplus.

IIRC they are no longer available. I looked on MAF the other day while looking up something else and didn't find anything.

If headers for these engines were decent quality in the $400 range I think they would be a worthwhile add on. But with the MAF units running around $900 I find it hard to believe the $/performance is worthwhile. Better to invest in a nice stainless build exhaust and consider ditching the cat if you are somewhere where they don’t check. Or go with the cat lookalike 😉

If headers for these engines were decent quality in the $400 range I think they would be a worthwhile add on. But with the MAF units running around $900 I find it hard to believe the $/performance is worthwhile. Better to invest in a nice stainless build exhaust and consider ditching the cat if you are somewhere where they don’t check. Or go with the cat lookalike 😉
Thanks for the input guys already desmoged. Next is exhaust thanks again 👍

Where did you find them for $900???

Last time I saw them they were $450

lol go BTB..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom