Head Unit Stereo Install help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NYIronPig

YES I have a problem...
SILVER Star
Threads
Ok, so I have a 74 that has the stereo slot open. Was going to toss in an Alpine head hunt I have, an Amp, SOR front speaker brackets for 5.25 and some rear roll bar mount marine speakers. Not expecting the best sound quality, but just some fun weekend jams. Question, what bracket do I need to keep a head unit fixed in the open slot here?

img_6438-jpeg.3343011

I don't believe a standard din head unit will fit without some cutting.
Mine is hacked up, I wish it wasn't.

Retrosound has some options that are popular and don't require a cutoff wheel.

I don't believe a standard din head unit will fit without some cutting.
Mine is hacked up, I wish it wasn't.

Retrosound has some options that are popular and don't require a cutoff wheel.
Thx, don't want to do any hacking, so will check out retrosound

We need a better pic of your hole. It looks hacked already. Stk would would have provisions for the knob posts.

We need a better pic of your hole. It looks hacked already. Stk would would have provisions for the knob posts.
will get a better pic. SO if hacked a normal DINstereo will fit?

Definitely been nibbled on...seems like they at least rolled/folded the edges vs just chewing away like a rabid squirrel.

How far they opened it up, you'd need to measure...I want to say a full single-DIN doesn't fit between the dashpads, although maybe with a little bit of a squeeze.

Factory hole with the lower+side tabs:

Screen Shot 2023-06-25 at 8.12.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-25 at 8.12.41 PM.png

So regardless the retrosound unit would fit in well?

I am in the same boat you're in. I was thinking about a simple blue tooth Sony I saw at Walmart for mine......if that would work.

Definitely been nibbled on...seems like they at least rolled/folded the edges vs just chewing away like a rabid squirrel.

How far they opened it up, you'd need to measure...I want to say a full single-DIN doesn't fit between the dashpads, although maybe with a little bit of a squeeze.

Factory hole with the lower+side tabs:
In my '74, the hole was hacked up and a singe DIN does fit, and the pad on the passenger side was hacked up with it.

In my '74, the hole was hacked up and a singe DIN does fit, and the pad on the passenger side was hacked up with it.

Most my 40s have a hacked up radio opening. I always wonder why everyone just cuts the dash pad. While more work the hole for the clips can be opened up to the side and move the clips over. New holes for the screws along the bottom and your done. Have never measured it but might need to do both sides because the shape around the glovebox and instrument cluster.

As for the audio will use Toyota head units for the late 1990s to early 2000s. Camry and 4Runner both had premium sound with external amplifier. These were two single DIN held together by the side mounting brackets. These use to be cheap and easy to find. I am looking to use this holder to allow units to be installed and removed easily. Probably use a second bracket in the glovebox for the CD changer. Toyota radio and cassette player would be closer to period correct than the radio CD player. Besides I occasionally still play cassettes. CD changer will go in the glovebox. Maybe living in the past but I am driving a vehicle based off a design from the mid 1950s and hasn't been sold in the US for almost forty years.

PXL_20230615_215724277.jpg

IMG_20201103_194145058.jpg

IMG_20201105_205125776.jpg

Somebody took an angry beaver to mine. I had to get creative to fill the hole.

I really should cut the final face plate one of these days. The mdf test cut one isn't all that classy. 😆

20230326_154912.jpg

I got lucky someone asked me if I wanted a late 78 cowl with damage of they were scrape it. Lowe right side was damage but the rest was in good shape. It also have an intact radio opening to use to repair another FJ40. Not sure the status of all my cruiser and cowls. Some the PO just hack out the hole. Other were cut out a long the sides and folded in to open the hole. Obviously the ones folded over are easier to repair.

So regardless the retrosound unit would fit in well?
They have endless options, including one for a single DIN-sized opening. Measure the hole and send the dimensions to Retrosound. They’ll help you figure out what will work for you. I just finished installing mine a few nights ago. Overall I’m happy with how it turned out.
70953227861__3C437F23-D047-4464-A586-518541CED442.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom