Sending Unit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a Frankenstein FJ40. Body/frame is 1973. Engine, tranny, and t-case is 1978. Moved the gas tank to the rear and used a Chevy S-10.

Need an aftermarket sending unit that will register with the correct ohms on the Toyota gas gauge. We bought one of the boxes that we wired in that changes the ohms, but it continues to drop the signal and we have to drain the tank and reset it. After several times of doing this, we have come to the realization that we need to find a better solution.

I am wondering if there is an aftermarket sending unit with the correct ohms that we can use that will fix our headaches.

Not sure if this is helpful, but you can partly match the aftermarket range with the original range by bending the float arm.
Some are also reversible, so you can flip the range if needed.

I looked up S-10 gas tanks and saw at least 3-4 different designs, so don't know if my idea will work, but look at my ebay #255083740492, it will require that you have sufficient flat area on top the S-10 tank. Then since your stock 1973 sending unit is a 120 ohms empty by 17 ohms full, you could use the Centroid electronic sending unit. We would use their #CGFP-10-12V-120/17-5H for our 10" deep rear fuel cells, but you'd change the 10 in that part number to the depth of your S-10 tank (depth where sender drops down into tank).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom