Head install idea/question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ll be reinstalling the head on my 2f this weekend. The hardest part seems like it’s the rearmost bolt on the exhaust manifold. Is it crazy to think that I could bolt the manifold onto the head before installation and expect to be able to manage it in there without incident? Has anyone on here tried? Will it even work given the dimensions of the engine bay?

This is what I ponder over coffee.

Would be easier on RHD without a brake booster and steering column to deal with. Especially 76-80 model with dual diaphragm brake booster. Heater blower on RHD would be easier to remove if need be versus the brake booster. Stock exhaust manifold would be easier than a header. Like mentioned if have the two lifting hooks and engine hoist with a leveler would make much easier than trying to muscle in by hand.

That's the way I installed the head on my 80. Except it was the intake manifold and not the exhaust, but since the 2F manifolds are one above the other, it amounts to the same thing. I did use a hoist though. You can manhandle a head, but...if you ding the rear end lower face, or crimp the headgasket, you're screwed.

Last edited:
Do you have one of these (engine leveler)? And a cherry picker?

1670606492644.png

As a matter of fact, 30 years ago, when I rebuilt my first 2F, I had the entire front body off. So much more room!

Buy a couple cheap extra long head bolts. Using an engine hoist just before the head make contact with the gasket thread the long bolts in to be sure everything is lined up first so gasket doesn't get damaged.

Last edited:
I think I’d rather deal with a hard to get to bolt than to have deal with manifolds possibly interfering with observing the match up as the head comes down. The manifolds are on the side where the alignment dowels are.

Do you have one of these (engine leveler)? And a cherry picker?
I don’t have an engine leveler but I whipped up this head leveler with material on hand. The eye bolt is mated to a channel nut so it’s adjustable where the hang angle can match the angle of the engine. I lowered it with a chain come-a-long hanging from a pipe spanning across two pipe stands. It couldn’t have gone on smoother.

HeadLiftBrkt.jpg

@Steamer 's leveler is a great idea, but there's an added complexity for leveling with a heavy manifold cantilevered off the side of the head.

The only way to get the firewall out of the way: ;)

1670633915222.jpeg

there's an added complexity for leveling with a heavy manifold cantilevered off the side of the head.
Oh! I forgot to mention the adjustable counterweight attachment. lol

HeadLiftBrkt 2.jpg

I think I’d rather deal with a hard to get to bolt than to have deal with manifolds possibly interfering with observing the match up as the head comes down. The manifolds are on the side where the alignment dowels are.

I don’t have an engine leveler but I whipped up this head leveler with material on hand. The eye bolt is mated to a channel nut so it’s adjustable where the hang angle can match the angle of the engine. I lowered it with a chain come-a-long hanging from a pipe spanning across two pipe stands. It couldn’t have gone on smoother.

View attachment 3189403

Unistrut is handy stuff; a modern miracle. I always keep some on hand.

There wasn't that much trouble getting a wrench to install the header's back tab.

Elaborate, or unclear, assembly/disassembly is the hallmark of every other vehicle on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom