Head Gasket Job Underway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's Done!

I spent a methodical 11 hours today reassembling the truck. Everything was very straight forward except the PITA EGR valve contraption. I couldn't get the valve back on with the studs in place, and almost ended up cross threading one after removing them and attempting to reinstall; the valve just wouldn't line up. I eventually nixed the studs and used some bolts I had left over from another project. Truck fired right up and seems a bit peppier.

Here's a pic of the head all prepped and ready to go.

9b604a9c.jpg

And here it is outside the garage for the first time in a couple weeks:) Yay

776d75da.jpg

If anybody is contemplating a DIY head gasket repair, go for it. Set aside about $1K, and alot of your spare time. Take your time and pay attention really well. I'll call it a :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:job, but very do-able. Thanks Landtank (and a few others) for all your input.

I was wondering how most people are removing thier heads. Are you guys using the buddy system or a engine hoist?

I was wondering how most people are removing thier heads. Are you guys using the buddy system or a engine hoist?

I went solo, off and on. After the air filter housing was removed there is plenty of room to hop up into the engine bay (where the majority of my time was spent). I just rigged up a quilt on top of the radiator and ARB; worked great.

I went solo, off and on. After the air filter housing was removed there is plenty of room to hop up into the engine bay (where the majority of my time was spent). I just rigged up a quilt on top of the radiator and ARB; worked great.

Nice job, also 3M makes a rubber Roloc disk which kicks ass. I used to use them to remove the gasket material on 501K gas turbine engines. It works great and you don't have to worry about taking off aluminum on the head or other precise mating surfaces. Make sure you use it in a die grinder.

3M US: Roloc Bristle Disc

Nice job, also 3M makes a rubber Roloc disk which kicks ass. I used to use them to remove the gasket material on 501K gas turbine engines. It works great and you don't have to worry about taking off aluminum on the head or other precise mating surfaces. Make sure you use it in a die grinder.

3M US: Roloc Bristle Disc

Yeh, I have one. I used it to take off the 20 year old vinyl graphics on my fJ62. Put minor swirls in the paint but nothing to cry about. Didn't even think of it for this project. Actually, after looking at the link, mine is different. The one I was referring to is like a round eraser that you put in a drill.

Yeh, I have one. I used it to take off the 20 year old vinyl graphics on my fJ62. Put minor swirls in the paint but nothing to cry about. Didn't even think of it for this project. Actually, after looking at the link, mine is different. The one I was referring to is like a round eraser that you put in a drill.

I think you have the eraser wheel, kind of like those gummy erasers you had in school that you could break apart and throw at people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom