HDJ81 Manual - Slee Double Cardan Front DS is too long. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Team,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks to everyone who keeps this community going. I finally found something that did not google with immediate easy results, so here is my first post!

I have a JDM HDJ81 Manual that I did a 3.5” lift on (OME/dobinsons) and I immediately got a pretty noticiable vibration from the driveshaft. 3-4 months later, I ordered the Slee double cardan driveshaft, received it quickly, and proceeded to install it. It was obviously longer than the OEM DS on the ground, but I took it under the truck anyways. It was MUCH too long, even fully compressed.

Called Slee, and they said that the DC driveshaft they sell is configured for USDM auto trucks, and should be (I think he said) 31” long. Mine measures around 28” at the mark that looks like the most likely compression spot on the sleeve.

My plan is to have a DS shop shorten the Slee DS and I’ll report back with pics when it’s done.

Here are a few shots: OEM is the crusty non-DC one 😎
EC6CED9F-051A-4193-929B-F1E4B896DD58.jpeg

B732EB0F-9E36-4FB6-BCFD-E6B22D75129F.jpeg
0C20ABD5-F7FC-49C2-A3A8-2CB5493104A6.jpeg

407192CE-E457-4B03-86FD-41AC5FC5907A.jpeg

DBD35503-5678-4CFD-89FF-EA570F35EADF.jpeg

What kind of vibrations were you experiencing? I also have a JDM 81 with a 4" lift and I'm trying to figure out if I have the same issue. When I'm on the highway above 80 km/h I hear grinding and vibration sounds.
Although it's only when I back off the throttle or just start to press on it. Kind of a sweet spot.

What kind of vibrations were you experiencing? I also have a JDM 81 with a 4" lift and I'm trying to figure out if I have the same issue. When I'm on the highway above 80 km/h I hear grinding and vibration sounds.
Although it's only when I back off the throttle or just start to press on it. Kind of a sweet spot.
I never heard anything I would characterize as grinding. The vibration is sort of… orbital… in nature. Definitely above 50-55 mph. Throttle did change it, but it was never resolved until the DS upgrade. The end-result is a different truck. You can almost hold a conversation with your passenger now lol.

I never heard anything I would characterize as grinding. The vibration is sort of… orbital… in nature. Definitely above 50-55 mph. Throttle did change it, but it was never resolved until the DS upgrade. The end-result is a different truck. You can almost hold a conversation with your passenger now lol

Hmmm well hopefully its the same issue and im not just tearing something up lol. I might ask you some questions in the future about the DC DS when I decide to pursue it. Wish somebody had a video up of the noise...

Cheeers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom