SOLD HDJ81 Boise, Idaho tons of recent work, upgrades too! 🔥 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
white
Just finishing up a bunch of work on an HDJ81 and customer has informed me he wants to sell it. 😒

It’s a 91 or 93, I don’t recall atm, will confirm tomorrow. 280,000kms on it but much has been rebuilt.

71C96993-0D1A-4F8F-A0AE-BDFDF45760A3.jpeg

Back story:
Cruiser came to us around the 20th of August. Customer is traveling, has been for a year plus and living out of the Cruiser. Engine and build (I think) has 20,000kms or miles on it before arriving here in Boise, engine got a partial or full rebuild. Customer I am sure can confirm for serious buyers. Engine suddenly start running rough, he calls us.

He drops it off and we do a compression test followed by a leak down test. #2 & #3 are low on compression, cold-dry test. Leak down shows intake valve on #2 and exhaust on #3. We suspect burned valves or stuck valves. We tear it down and find head gasket blown badly between #2 & #3 cylinders, only damage we note. All new OEM valves already ordered so head goes off for head job, it got the new OEM valves and .003 taken off it. All good. New OEM (late production) 5-dot head gasket ordered along with ARP head studs. Get head back from machine shop, check block mating surface for true, it’s good, clean and prep mating surface and install head. Head bolt/stud holes around #2 & #3 are super rusty crusty and corroded. Leads me to believe poor torque on these head bolts 20,000kms ago causing HG failure. Throughly clean and tap ALL head bolt holes before installing ARP head studs, have pics of entire process. Torque to 100ftlbs in five sequences.

Clean all of the intake, fit new exhaust mani studs and nuts + gaskets. New intake gaskets and hardware as well. Various other new gaskets, hardware, hoses and parts as per my shops standards. Found alternator mounting bracket, bolt and alt are trashed. Replaced with new OEM parts and new 120amp Terrain Tamer alt. Resealed oil pan as well during head job, new tensioner spring even. Adjusted timing.

Cruiser is tuned, tested and ready to rock and roll. The engine is rock solid, SNLC certified. 🤠

Here is a list on the Cruiser:
-1HDT, fresh head job and head gasket with ARPs performed by me.
-Full hydro 442, seems solid and good.
-HPD front mount intercooler.
-Upgraded turbo running 18psi, don’t know brand currently, Mamba maybe. It’s been checked and shaft/bearings are tight.
-PDI air box.
-Oil filter extension with aftermarket oil pressure and temp sensors in the extension.
-Duel battery system, not sure brand atm. Big huge and very expensive XS Power batteries with bomber terminals and wires.
-Delta center console.
-Tons of aftermarket gauges including; EGT, boost, oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp, air fuel ratio and more.
-LRA aux fuel tank behind rear axle.
-Rear E-Locker, I think it is a Harrop/Eaton. Installed January this year by Overland Cruisers in Arizona. Also included full diff rebuild.
-Knuckle job and rear hub job done by Overland Cruisers at same time.
-Aftermarket front bumper, unknown brand, fairly solid.
-Sliders (kinda) bolted to rockers, unknown brand.
-Manual boost controller.
-Dobinsons springs.
-Willwood rear prop valve.
-Heavy duty sway bars (Whiteline?) with perhaps Land Cruiser Phil quick disconnects.
-Gullwing cargo windows, I think maybe Land Cruiser Phil.
-17” FJCruiser steelies? 17” holie steelies with 33x10.5 BFG all terrains, 80% tread x5.
-Heavy duty tie rod and drag links. Looks SLEE.
-Sway bar extensions.
-Aftermarket fuel filter system with warning, separator and so forth.
-Drawer syetem and sleeping platform, somewhat home made vs production item.

And even more! I will go over it all tomorrow and list anything I missed. Including tons of pics.

It’s been repainted white, no flares or roof rack, factory rear tire carrier and it is a factory 12v Cruiser which is rare for JDM trucks.

$25,000 and I gots zero skin in this game, just trying to help out the customer.

Cheers

Last edited:
Last one.

AEF9274A-97DF-4B25-94C1-F89C7480233B.jpeg

Like I say it’s well sorted. Lot’s of upgrades. Turn key Baja surf wagon or travel around wherever living out of it on the road. That’s what it is setup for. Great weekend camper and getaway Cruiser too.

Cheers

that seems like a killer deal, would be difficult to replicate for double the asking price

The aftermarket mirrors do work from the OEM power switch. I didn’t try the “retract”, I would be surprised if that worked too.

Message me for the owners contact info. I can provide additional pics, video and try to answer questions. The owner will have more info, details and be who you need to deal with on title and payment.

Cheers

that seems like a killer deal, would be difficult to replicate for double the asking price

Cruise control and 12v rare on JDM 81’s. Who knows, maybe it’s from Aussieland, the owner would know over me. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I can say the engine was definitely gone through not to long ago, it lacked soot in it and the pickup screen was spotless. Bottom end looked great too. Should never have a HG failure again. 😉🤙

Cheers

I like this. If it was manual and LHD it would be in my driveway this weekend. Picky picky, I know :lol:

Anyone know if diesel 80s got the FF rear axle earlier than gas? Or maybe a world vs US thing?

You're a good dude for putting this much work into a for sale ad for a client. Good things your way.

I like this. If it was manual and LHD it would be in my driveway this weekend. Picky picky, I know :lol:

Anyone know if diesel 80s got the FF rear axle earlier than gas? Or maybe a world vs US thing?

You're a good dude for putting this much work into a for sale ad for a client. Good things your way.

Yes rear FF came pre-93 outside the USA. They also have smaller disc brakes allowing 15” wheels vs rear drums.

Cheers

Any idea if those inner inner door panels are OEM (overseas) or is that an aftermarket item? Never seen that before, they look really cool and minimalistic.

If it is still around post thanksgiving. I will be contacting you. Hope it sells:) I don't need it but kinda want it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom