HDJ100 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You guys don't read the 100 section of the forum euh?

quick resume why i've bought a hdj100. While My Montero is still worth a few $, i started shoping for a replacement. I bought my Dad Fjcruiser last year in febuary but sold it two month ago. With 3 kids the Fj was not a winner at all, those door are a pain. Then started looking at the new 4runner, very expensive over here, close to 50k and still it is not a landcruiser. Might have looked into lx450 or 470 but they are rare, very very rare and ultra expensive. So i decided i would buy a lc100 from the US. And then i found this rolled HDJ100........obviously it is not going into the 42.

Heck if Toyota don't want to sell diesel in Canada, might just built one myself. You just can't get the toyota diesel bug away...

I wanted to do a swap that didn't need tons of fabrication. Sheldon help me in the decision making of this project. And finding a LHD HDJ100 help this thing started

So once this baby is on the boat i will be searching for a 2001-2002 LC100 high mileage in the US, no rust and clean inside. Dan look in your area. I don't mind flying down south west and driving back.

Thread i started in the 100 section.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/356256-new-owner-crazy-project.html

Couple of question since now i have the truck, without a wiring diagram...

There are 2 batteries, but wired like a 12v setup, but i recall reading that the starter is 24v?

Also is there a ODBII connector on the HDJ100? I notice a connector with a cap on the right side near the air filter, but it is not a ODBII connector.

It won't crank, but i think the batteries i droped in the truck or bad. they both read 12.7V+ bot when i try to crank the starter probably does half a rotation and everything shuts down like a power failure.
Tomorrow i'll bring the 42 and hook it up to the truck and see. If same thing happens, i will suspect something is preventing it from starting since a good load of wires aren't connected.

The starter is 12V, we finally got it started. Sounds awesome with the cat only, like a diesel racer. could this be the first 1HD-FTE running in NA?

I'm uploading a small video!

EDIT: Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1hsIZfrdvk

Last edited:
Good for you! This will be a really cool thread to follow. It will be pretty awesome once it is done.

This is a project I would love to tackle, but would only tackle it with one person-Sheldon. This is going to be one sweet ride!

Please keep us up to date!

Ross

Last edited:
Of course, I am looking forward to this build.

From Germany?

You gonna pull the whole harness dash?

Once my 100 packs it in or gas prices jump to high I will be all over this install like a fat kid on a baloney samwich...:eek:

Rob

Of course, I am looking forward to this build.

From Germany?

You gonna pull the whole harness dash?

Once my 100 packs it in or gas prices jump to high I will be all over this install like a fat kid on a baloney samwich...:eek:

Rob

If it is different, i do expect it to be. Yes...

Last edited:
Now i've run into my first minor issue. Inside door panels, the HDJ100 VX has seat memory position button on the door. None of any UZJ100 i've seen have the memory button. So if i want to keep that feature in the cruiser i'll have to settle for A) a Gray interior cruiser and keep the shadow gray panel of the HDJ100 OR B) Get a Oak cruiser like i wish to have and Buy from France a HDJ100 VX Oak interior panel that will probably be around 1000$ 67660-60060-E0 OR C) Get a Oak cruiser like i wish and simply cut a hole to fit the HDJ100 button in the UZJ100 door panel (Hoping it is possible).

3x pictures, First is UZJ100 OAK, second is LX470 and last the HDJ100 VX.
UZJ100_Américain.jpg
Lexus LX_470_Américain1.jpg
France_HDJ100.jpg

Last edited:
C'est fantastique Éric. Je suis vraiment content pour toi qu'enfin débute ce projet !

Everyone here will have foam at the mouth to see this project succeed !!

My LX470 has the seat memory, and the newer 100's have it (maybe 2003 and up) - maybe get from a wrecking yard?

My LX470 has the seat memory, and the newer 100's have it (maybe 2003 and up) - maybe get from a wrecking yard?

Really newer LC model have them? will check toyodiy.

But anyhow the inner panel is :eek::eek: $$$ Like 800+ dollars. The plastic button housing is 160$ at lexus, The button are not black but shadow gray or oak. I looked and i could probably cut the panel and glue to steel backing plate and fit a button housing. But if things doesn't work i end up with a cut out in the panel. I've decided not to bother with this minor interior difference and decided that if i want the memory i could always put switch some place else. No biggy

Now that the motor is running, we removed body panel and choped the top off. Did some cleaning, and put in a wood crate parts i will not need. Now i need to get the receiver, hopefully i'll be able to do this in the next 2-3 week.

put the switches on the cover panel under the steering wheel, by where allt the other switches are.

fun project. There are a couple of guys who have done this swap in Australia; though they were swapping a 1HDFTE into a HZJ105.
I hope you get along well with wiring projects.

is that truck a manual or auto? What country did it come from? And how did you find it?

BTW... I often see 100 series here in the SF Bay Area in the $10K range. Let me know if you'd like me to keep a lookout.

fun project. There are a couple of guys who have done this swap in Australia; though they were swapping a 1HDFTE into a HZJ105.
I hope you get along well with wiring projects.

is that truck a manual or auto? What country did it come from? And how did you find it?

I found it on local classified adds in France, 4x4 Occas annonces automobiles SUV auto crossover vente vehicule tout terrain d'occasion
But it was a wreck 100...Road worthy are still very expensive.

Once most of the stuff are gone wiring is not that bad. I think the worse part is just removing stuff and remembering where they go back. As long as i don't have to start figuring stuff that needs to be fabricate this shouldn't be that bad.

Finally i know how the futur diesel 100 will look like!
Big thanks to seaduck66 from the forum!

Very anxious to see the truck to start comparing harness, But i think it might turn out easier then i think, if toyota was smart enough to use same harness under the dash. From the EWD (Thank you to Sheldon) everything look the same (under the dash) from a UZJ to HDJ, obviously and hopefully only the ECU are different. Relay box under the hood and dash even looks to be the same, one is probably simply missing some relays! this is going to be fun, can't wait to start!
Picture 002a.jpg

Last edited:
Truck is finally in my drive way, waiting for schedule inspection to get it registered. Truck is fine, but disk brake jumps pretty bad. Will swap the HDJ disk for inspection.

Sweet! This is going to be one cool project. I'm jealous :D

They finally meet!

main.php

Phase one of the project is now complete!

It is going to be a couple of weeks before we start phase 2, when i'm back from holidays (next two week), i've got alot on my plate at the office.
IMG_1912.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom