HDJ100 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will need rear ac down in nc.

Thanks for the update.

The best would be to replace the oem pipe with one piece flexible pipe

Any new pictures?

Don't put your expectation too high i'm not going to update everyday ;).

Gotcha. I will bug you again in 2 weeks! Have fun!

Monday we didn't work on the truck, had something else to do.

Engine is out;

- There is a ground between the rear TC and the body...remove the wire otherwise it won't come out
- Take the time to remove the TC shifter, we did not and consequently we ruined the body / tranny liner protection (see picture)
- We did remove the front diff.

We are going to put parts from the UZJ into a wood crate, because there are parts everywhere...

Next is removal of fuel tank and main wiring harness along the firewall. Then we are going to remove the HDJ100 dash and have a look of what is involved under the dash before digging under the UZJ dash.

BTW; who ever needs to replace the starter on the V8 is in for some fun!!!
IMG_2125.jpg
IMG_2126.jpg
IMG_2127.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the update!

Do you want us to send a couple bucks for a few more lights? This build is great! Looking forward to the end result.

Wow, I want your shop!

Nice progress on the swap.

Differences....yes there are some.

- engine mount are not the same, so we are going to have to cut the one from the UZJ and swap the one from the HDJ. My finger show the position of the HDJ on the UZJ frame.
- Fuel tank are identical except from a accessories on them (have not looked at baffle obviously)
- Pipes along the frame are different, mainly due to the AHC valve bolted inside the frame (pipe goes around it). Fuel pipe on the HDJ are bigger.
- We are working on removing averything we won't need under, next is mostlikely to pull the 1HD from the HDJ.
- Wiring? well i'll talk about this later on as there are still some ??. One thing is that the HDJ has a harness running everywhere under the truck to feed the AHC and rear locker. The UZJ does not have that harness. The two main harness running inside the body on each side, The main harness inside the body on the firewall are still (??) if that one need to be changed. The harness under the dash is probably the same, but we haven't pulled the UZJ dash but they are probably the same. Not that there are 2 harness under the dash, the one integrated under the dash and a other one along the firewall.

We need to accelerate this because we are going to start on a big project in a week or two so man power will be relocated to important things!
IMG_2134.jpg
IMG_2135.jpg
IMG_2133.jpg

Frame piping and HDJ dash :eek:
IMG_2136.jpg
IMG_2137.jpg

As you can see the torsion bar are hanging, i though they would come out through the hole...but not...i guess it is going to be a heat and bang session!

Last edited:
OldskoolCJ is working on this swap!

He found this box in the HDJ engine bay. He says it must be wired to the Driver cup holder in case i flip over! :grinpimp:
photo.jpg

I use the rear AC in myLX470 - keeps the kids cool. I am sure the engine would work the pump with no problems.

I now know why the torsion bar cross member is further back. the tranny on the 1HD-FTE is a A442F. A LOT bigger then the A343F. Not sure exactly what are the differences, if one is better, etc...

since we need to move that cross member we have decided to pull the entire frame from under the UZJ, move the cross member, engine support and while it is out, sandblast it and coat it with good layer of epoxy.

A mechanic told me the A442 is supposed to be a heavy duty transmission, used on HDJ80 and HDJ100 and some bus... while the A343f is used in 4Runner, Prado...
(IMHO, the convertor stall speed is the major difference between them)

But I never heard about any trouble on the 343 and the 442 is known as needing a new torque converter from time to time.
However, it's look to be less and less true since owners flush oil and change screen on a more regular basis

Maybe you could improve your transmission with them:
http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/news.asp
OutbackImport in BC is the canadian dealer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom