Having issues with fuel system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's up guys,
Just got my FJ60 as somewhat of an heirloom from my uncle since he passed. Im only 18, but I have a decent knowledge of how to work on cars, but this has me and my dad(a much better mechanic) stumped. When we first got it and put some new fuel in it, started and ran fine. My dad and I replaced the battery, tried starting it, and there was a spark on the battery. Nothing seemed wrong, since the it was turning over. But it wouldnt start at all. We realized the fuel gauge registered empty, yet it had a full tank(at first we actually thought it was empty and tried putting 5 new gallons in, but it started overflowing). So obviously we had fuel. We sprayed the carb with some starting fluid, and it ran for about 10 seconds before dying again. So from that we've concluded something is not letting fuel get to the carb. Could it be the fuel pump, or is it something electrical since the fuel gauge doesnt even register.
Thanks,
Santa Cruzer

Ok. Check your fuel level in carb. Theres a sight glass on front of carb. It should show fuel level @1/2 full with gas.
Fuel pump is easy check...disconnect fuel line to carb, then crank engine.
Make sure you place fuel line into container to catch the gas as engine cranks if pump is working.

Change fuel filter with OEM filter, can't hurt to do it. Theres also a screen that is on carb to catch stuff that gets passed the fuel filter.

Are all the vacuum hoses connected? If you are still smogged there's a lot of hose.

Then start baselining the carb. Rebuild may be needed.

Welcome to Mud! Good luck with the issue.

Search forums related to carb issues, can't hurt. Download yourself the pdf FSMs for both body and emissions on these rigs..check classified section, its free!

X2, check the fuel filter (should be clear, and when the engine is cranking you can see the fuel flowing through it.) If that checks out take a look in the carb sight glass, if the truck is level you should see fuel halfway up it.

If that checks out then have someone look down the throat of the carb while you pump the gas, you should see/hear fuel squirt out.

If you get all that, it's probably not a fuel problem.

If you thought the tank was initially empty and added 5 gals- and found out it was full— there might be ancient gasoline in the tank. If that gas is over 2 years old- I'd drain the tank and get rid of it somehow. But disposing of 23 gallons of old gasoline isn't easy.

Rusty tanks are common. I'm guessing gas not getting to carb. So now to determine if gas can get to pump. While pumps can go bad, more likely plugged filter or fuel line. Should be relatively easy to troubleshoot.

It sounds like you have some opinions on how to check for the fuel pump, but it also sounds like you have a rusty/not properly functioning Fuel Sending Unit. This is what actually detects the level of the gas in your tank. If you added gas and its reading empty you probably have this running as a secondary issue. Its fairly easy to fix.

I can't comment though on why your engine isn't starting though...

If you thought the tank was initially empty and added 5 gals- and found out it was full— there might be ancient gasoline in the tank. If that gas is over 2 years old- I'd drain the tank and get rid of it somehow. But disposing of 23 gallons of old gasoline isn't easy.
Down in the south we would burn out yellow jackets nests in the ground with a pvc pipe, gasoline, and a bottle rocket.

Oh no its all new gas

Fuel sender not working could just be a bad ground. Nothing to do with a no start.

Take off the air cleaner and look down the top of the carb. Actuate the linkage on the back side of the carb where the throttle cable is. See if gas is squirting down the hole (may need a flashlight here). while you're there make sure the choke pull is actually closing the choke. Now try and start again.

As mentioned above you can disconnect the fuel line at the carb and crank the motor. Catch the fuel in a clear mason jar. If its cloudy...let it settle down to inspect for water or contaminates.

When you crank you have plenty of juice and the motor is turning quickly with zest? Make sure you have spark at the plugs.

We can talk you thru testing the fuel gauge later.

Have you checked all the fuses? There's a solenoid on the carb that need power to open for the truck to run/idle. I agree with the fuel filter being plugged so check that too.

The wiring for the fuel sensor runs along the driver's side and there's a connector in the rear wheel well that can corrode. Pop the cover for the jack and check the integrity of the connector.

I used the trip meter as a fuel gauge for many years. zero = full tank, 100 miles=1/2 200=empty or nearly. Only bad thing is you have to fill up completely and remember to push the button. When I finally got around to fixing the sender my problem was that connector in the drivers side quarter panel. Just some corrosion from being submerged. This tends to happen when the the drain holes in the quarter get plugged up. And there is a rust hole up higher where water can come in. Few years later that quarter was the first to rust away.

Fuel filters are < $10 and ought to be replaced as a baseline item anyway to establish service history for yourself.

Otherwise, follow the advice above (pretty comprehensive so far) then report back. I'm betting one of these checks will find your issue though.

Welcome to Mud and your new Cruiser addiction!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom