Has anyone tried swapping the V6 motor and 6-speed trans from an FJ Cruiser into an FJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Depends on how much you drive. A swap is going to run at least $10k if I do it all myself most likely closer to $15k. $15/$3 pg is 5000 gallons @14mpg I can drive 70,000 miles before I spend that amount in gas. But i have to buy gas for either setup. Im doubtful that the LS3 swap doubles my mileage. Maybe gets me to 20mpg?

So this is why I always say don’t do the math. Just do the swap because you want to. You’ll rarely ever be able to soundly rationalize the investment. 😉
A-where you paying $3/gallon lol and B-14mpg in your 60? really? both seem generous... lucky if i was getting 12mpg with sniper...and I hvnt seen gas under 3.10 in forever

I get 13.5 to 14 in my 60 regularly unless I’m towing or trail creeping. It’s all stock and I’ve adjusted for tire size and verified with gps. VT it’s been about $3/g. It was in the 2’s when we had to go to Ohio back in may.

I got 18 mpg on one tank coming off the continental divide 😂

If I install a sniper I expect the mpg to drop as a result of more accurate fueling and at the benefit of improved starting and driving.

heres some math:

1634129973176.png

This is assuming a $20k investment for a full LS swap and whatever else that includes vs just leaving my truck as is and driving it. In the worst case scenario where gas is $6 a gallon and I'm only getting 10 mpg I can still drive 33,000 miles before I've spent that investment money of $20k. For me that very likely 5 -10 years of driving because the 60 is not my daily driver and I use it as a play vehicle. The reality for me is that I'm up in the 13-14 mpg range and fuel around here right now is in the $3 to $4 per gallon cost. So I'm looking at somewhere between 55k and 90k of driving before I'd spend that $20k. In other words It would take me 50k to 90k miles of driving with an LS3 in my FJ60 before I broke even on an LS engine swap initial investment. This is why I say don't look at the numbers because they will very rarely justify the investment.

heres some historical average Vermont gas pricing (regular - 87 octane): goes back to 2005 and we have had some bumps in price over the years but then settled back down. Fuel Price Adjustment | Agency of Transportation - https://vtrans.vermont.gov/contract-admin/resources/construction-contracting/fuel-price-adjustment

1634130696136.png

1634130722672.png

1634130736885.png

Last edited:
I have a 2007 FJ cruiser , 6 speed manual and she runs like a champ. Today as I drove into my office, I started thinking about putting an FJ V6 and 6 speed tranny in an FJ60. So I did a search here but didn't find anything.

Anyone know if this has been done? if there is a thread on it, please share.
The 1GR engine was offered overseas with an h150 and hf1a transfer case. If you wanted to execute this swap that’s the direction I’d take it. H150 is a 5 speed, but a great transmission still.

It’s all still offered in new cruisers like the GRJ79, 71, etc.

Hasn't "The FJ Company" $$$$ been essentially using a modern Toyota V6 combo on their rigs?

What are portable genarators gonna be powered by?
I guess gerbils running in a circle with the little copper wheel connected to
Contraire mon frere.....the LS3 will save money in the long run at Dblish MPG. Jus may take a while to hit that point. but aprox 1000 gallons or $3,000/year savings
I love math people! So, you're saying the LS will get better mileage? I'm so new to the LC that I haven't had time to compare. BUT - my FJ gets a whopping 200 miles to a 16 gallon tank! Horrible...but I love her and simply deal with it!

I love math people! So, you're saying the LS will get better mileage? I'm so new to the LC that I haven't had time to compare. BUT - my FJ gets a whopping 200 miles to a 16 gallon tank! Horrible...but I love her and simply deal with it!
You must have a custom tank because my OEM tank is about 24 gallons ;). still 200 miles on 16 gallons is 12.5 mpg which is better than some people are getting.

Funny. I had the same idea on stocking up. And move, yes, the is an option. But I have lived 7 blocks from the beach for the past 17 years. Part of my soul is here. IF ONLY CALI WOULD WAKE UP TO ALL THE BULLs*** THESE A-HOLES CREATE! Colorado would be great (where I grew up) but it looks like they are headed in the same direction as CommieCalifornication!
Man, I don’t mean to forum slide/hijack the content of this thread, but yes, it’s time to move. My wife is a California native and she is in love with Kentucky (and she doesn’t mind me too much). And, my in-laws just moved to our neck of the woods. While they miss the Pacific and the state of their birth, they couldn’t be happier here. We’ve got our own issues with a ‘rat governor, increasing fuel prices, and inflation generally… “Let’s go, Brandon” as the new saying goes. But, There’s a lot of life and plenty of topographical diversity in the South/South East.

You’ll be welcomed with open arms.

Lastly… keep it stock :hillbilly:

I lived in L.A. back in the 70's. Smog was horrible. You don't want to go back to that. Oh...and generators will be batteries. Ford F-150?

ive been told ppl been getting 19-23 mpg...which is a s*** ton more than my 60.

I get 13.5 to 14 in my 60 regularly unless I’m towing or trail creeping. It’s all stock and I’ve adjusted for tire size and verified with gps. VT it’s been about $3/g. It was in the 2’s when we had to go to Ohio back in may.

If I install a sniper I expect the mpg to drop as a result of more accurate fueling and at the benefit of improved starting and driving.

heres some math:

View attachment 2811146

This is assuming a $20k investment for a full LS swap and whatever else that includes vs just leaving my truck as is and driving it. In the worst case scenario where gas is $6 a gallon and I'm only getting 10 mpg I can still drive 33,000 miles before I've spent that investment money of $20k. For me that very likely 5 -10 years of driving because the 60 is not my daily driver and I use it as a play vehicle. The reality for me is that I'm up in the 13-14 mpg range and fuel around here right now is in the $3 to $4 per gallon cost. So I'm looking at somewhere between 55k and 90k of driving before I'd spend that $20k. In other words It would take me 50k to 90k miles of driving with an LS3 in my FJ60 before I broke even on an LS engine swap initial investment. This is why I say don't look at the numbers because they will very rarely justify the investment.

heres some historical average Vermont gas pricing (regular - 87 octane): goes back to 2005 and we have had some bumps in price over the years but then settled back down. Fuel Price Adjustment | Agency of Transportation - https://vtrans.vermont.gov/contract-admin/resources/construction-contracting/fuel-price-adjustment

View attachment 2811158

View attachment 2811159
View attachment 2811160
ya altho my rig isnt my daily daily driver either...HOWEVER, swapping in a more reliable and efficient LS3 would make it way mnore likely that id drive it wayyyyyyyy more often. and dropping the break even point and thus Bonus time time to a ridiculous short period of time. Seems like a no brainer when also factoring in resaleability...

ya altho my rig isnt my daily daily driver either...HOWEVER, swapping in a more reliable and efficient LS3 would make it way mnore likely that id drive it wayyyyyyyy more often. and dropping the break even point and thus Bonus time time to a ridiculous short period of time. Seems like a no brainer when also factoring in resaleability...
So what I'm saying over and over again here is you don't ever justify these things based in finances. You decide you want to do the swap for whatever reason and you do it. This is a pandoras box situation here. Pretty soon people will be coming out of the woodwork to point out how reliable the 2F is and how it was made to be fixed in the middle of the desert with nothing more than some sand, a twig, the beak of a condor, and a small pile of rocks. Then more people will come forward and say something like....if you wanted a V8 you should have just bought a suburban...and then the even the rabbit will dig a new hole and seal the entrance with a blast door.

So what I'm saying over and over again here is you don't ever justify these things based in finances. You decide you want to do the swap for whatever reason and you do it. This is a pandoras box situation here. Pretty soon people will be coming out of the woodwork to point out how reliable the 2F is and how it was made to be fixed in the middle of the desert with nothing more than some sand, a twig, the beak of a condor, and a small pile of rocks. Then more people will come forward and say something like....if you wanted a V8 you should have just bought a suburban...and then the even the rabbit will dig a new hole and seal the entrance with a blast door.
We can agree to disagree...its all good.

Man, I don’t mean to forum slide/hijack the content of this thread, but yes, it’s time to move. My wife is a California native and she is in love with Kentucky (and she doesn’t mind me too much). And, my in-laws just moved to our neck of the woods. While they miss the Pacific and the state of their birth, they couldn’t be happier here. We’ve got our own issues with a ‘rat governor, increasing fuel prices, and inflation generally… “Let’s go, Brandon” as the new saying goes. But, There’s a lot of life and plenty of topographical diversity in the South/South East.

You’ll be welcomed with open arms.

Lastly… keep it stock :hillbilly:
Thanks for the Welcoming! We are looking. Lots of great places in the beautiful country. I'll ahve to add KY to the list of options!

You must have a custom tank because my OEM tank is about 24 gallons ;). still 200 miles on 16 gallons is 12.5 mpg which is better than some people are getting.
On your FJC? I can never fill more than 16 gallons in mine. Trust me, I've tried! ;) I was talking about my FJ Cruiser 2007 - 6 speed manual, all-time 4x4, gas-guzzling lady!

heres some math:

View attachment 2811146

View attachment 2811158

View attachment 2811159
View attachment 2811160
I wish I was only paying sub $3 for gas! Cali is pushing $5. Pretty much $70-80 to fill my tank every week!

To the OP. The swap you mention from the FJC is possible, pretty much everything is possible given enough time and money. It is not a well supported swap but the drive line has been used for builds in the past. As already mentioned in this thread, you would need to explore axle solutions etc. I would be more concerned with the electronics side myself. I really do not keep up with a lot of other types of swaps as it is enough keeping up with swaps I already do.

In regard to an LS based swap, if you are worrying about it paying for itself, that will happen when you sell it. Sales figures for swapped 60 series are through the roof. Don't try to convince yourself you can pay it off with fuel savings in 7.5 years. Do it because that is what you want (or think you want). Combined with upgraded brakes and a well sorted steering system a well executed swap is a game changer. IMHO the soul of the vehicle remains, only now it is right at home in today's traffic.

Everything in this post is OPINION, worth every penny you paid for it :)

I wish I was only paying sub $3 for gas! Cali is pushing $5. Pretty much $70-80 to fill my tank every week!
Yeah I looked at the national averages and Cali along with alaska and Colorado were pushing the higher gas prices.

On your FJC? I can never fill more than 16 gallons in mine. Trust me, I've tried! ;) I was talking about my FJ Cruiser 2007 - 6 speed manual, all-time 4x4, gas-guzzling lady!
Ah ok. Yeah the fj60 has a 24 gallon tank as stock. Didn’t realize you were referring to an FJC

ive been told ppl been getting 19-23 mpg...which is a s*** ton more than my 60.

Basic physics dictates that the FJ60 will never be a vehicle with good gas mileage, and engine choice, except perhaps marginally for diesels, seems to matter. It comes down to trying to push an aerodynamically poor, heavy, brick through air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom