Has anyone on here built a custom center console? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched, but didn't really find anything helpful. Has anyone on here built a custom center console? I know the tuffy exists but I'd like something different. Just didn't know if any of you guys have tried your hand at it? I'm thinking of building one that will be able to hold switches, tablet mount for navigation, cup holders that actually work, etc... Let's see some pictures if you've got them. And if you've got it, maybe a build thread for the console.

Smittybuilt has a similar one to tuffy but it's 100 bucks. I was going to get it, cut out crappy cup holder and install a nice tuffy cupholder front and rear. Then add power outlets and lights and switches to my liking. Smittybilt Security Stereo Floor Console, Black (Black Denim) - 31815

Another route is police and emergency vehicle consoles. They typically have limited storage, but an abundance of intended space of switches, radios, and Tablet or laptop mounting. Used ones on ebay are cheap but usually incomplete.
http://police.fusz.com/new-police-cars/images/options/C-VS-2400-CHGR-2_A_4-11-11 1-W_600.JPG

Max bilt has consoles similar to tuffy but another level and are cool. Also their is a really cool one made for old Broncos that are easily adapted
8'' Black Powder coated Techie Center Console
Cruiser crap also sells this same console.

I like that icon one but way too much money! I could try to figure out something like that but would also like something that goes up and uses the unused space around the shifters, maybe for switches so it's lowprofile.

The police consoles are an idea and would give me some thoughts on how to incorporate radios/switches/whatever.

Thanks for these ideas, keep them coming.

+1 for the Tuffy. It's a little more expensive but it's damn near perfect.

When I'm driving a 30 year old vehicle that has a more comfortable Seating position than most new ones, that's one of the main reasons why.

The dimensions are perfect. Your arm lays right across the top and with your radio deck fitted within the space (similar to the icon ) you don't have to move a muscle. One fingertip operation.

Plus the no frills heavy duty locks keep that radio and other valuables safe....with a great cup holder to start. Mine had holes pre-drilled to mount accessories on the back (like a first aid kit)

IMG_3021.JPG

Not to hijack, but anyone know what those door handles and latches in that Icon come out of? Or are they custom?

I plan on redoing the fj62 console. It is going to be more similar than different.

I'm gunna borrow that...

There isn't a Tuffy that fits a 62 because the AT lever is in the way. That is the option I am looking for, does anyone know one similar to the Tuffy?

Thanks for the respones. I might be going the V8 route in a bit so I guess I will have to wait to see what clearances I have if the transmission changes also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom