Has anyone advanced the timing on 1FZ-FE? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw mention in 80scool archives, of advancing the timing ~ 3 deg of the FZJ80 (in service mode, without ECU control), to get more power and better efficiency.
The logic of why it is a win-win situation, as far as I can tell, is that the timing is set very conservatively to avoid really bad gas from causing a knock condition, kicking in the large incremental jumps to retarded timing. In countries where gas is generally good, the timing can be bumped up a little.
My question is, has anyone in the US tried this, and have you noticed any changes? I'm skeptical that this is a completely beneficial thing to do, even with great-quality gas. Seems like it would increase EGT, throw the O2 sensors off, increase NOx or other bad emission gases, or in some other way have a detrimental effect.
Thanks,
kenton

Actually raising it an additional 3 degrees is still conservative. I think you will find a number of guys that have done this. You definitely will get better power and without knocking. There are a number of 80's Cool members that have been running this for years without problems. There are two guys that I am aware of have pinging issues at the OEM setting but were never able to figure out the cause so YMMV.

I've got mine set about 8* advanced from stock. No problems for 3.5 years. I run mid-grade in the summer, but I have not seen any reason to. Unfortunately, with the 95 I can't get full OBD-II to see if the knock sesor ever picks up anything, but it doesn't seem to.

I was running ~9* advanced for several years. I don't know if it contributed to the cause of my motor rebuild or not. It certainly helped power-wise. It's very difficult to hear pinging in these rigs, but hopefully the knock sensor will save you if you advance too far. I never got a code about the knock sensors, and the timing never got set way back, so maybe it was OK.

I'm running ~6* advanced now. It doesn't seem to do much for power.

Do you lose low end power and gain top end? Mine seems to need more off the line power and I was thinking of retarding it a bit as Santa forgot to bring the TRD supercharger I wanted.
Jeff

The loss of low end power could be the result of a weak fuel pump. It takes a couple of seconds for the ECU to activate the fuel pump relay to kick the pump up to full voltage. Bypass the relay and see if things improve.

Is there a difference in doing this to a 93-94 vs. 95-97?

I just bumped mine up to 8deg this afternoon. It did help out powerwise and got rid of a lot of the flat off-idle lag.

Mark
94' FJ

[quote author=ppc link=board=2;threadid=9399;start=msg82121#msg82121 date=1072815563]
The loss of low end power could be the result of a weak fuel pump. It takes a couple of seconds for the ECU to activate the fuel pump relay to kick the pump up to full voltage. Bypass the relay and see if things improve.
[/quote]

I have a new fuel pump still in its box. I guess I should install it and see if it helps my off idle lage.

Just for the sake of lazyness , can someone post the tactic for this here ? Or maybe provide the hyperlink for those not familiar with 80scool .

Thanks

You don't need to be a member.

Here's the link to the timing advance instructions for the 1FZ-FE.

-B-

I am ;)) . Been forever though ... Got tired of drowning in endless emails everyday .

Thanx

The wife was just asking if I read the cool e-mails today.
I said I was going to get off the mailing list. I just need to find out how???

[quote author=mjos link=board=2;threadid=9399;start=msg82857#msg82857 date=1072918069]
I just bumped mine up to 8deg this afternoon. It did help out powerwise and got rid of a lot of the flat off-idle lag.

Mark
94' FJ

[/quote]

Be careful with pre-ignition. I would have someone listen to your motor under load at high RPM.

I did this today, advanced it to 6 & it feels better. the movement on the distributer was really small and there was no change in the idle.

Even though Safari is linked in the FAQ, I added this link to the modifications page

I advanced mine about 3 degrees a couple of years ago, and got excessive pinging so I dropped it back down to stock timing... FWIW.

:beer:
Rookie2

I advanced mine shortly after I got it, quite noticeable increase in power, it seamed to improve power in all RPM ranges, the ECU has programmed additional advance (on top of physically set advance) for higher RPMs so it is not an either or thing.

Shortly after I changed the timing the distributor seal started seeping, probably from the hardened seal being disturbed, just recently replaced it. I have been trying to use regular gas lately and was getting pinging on acceleration, I set it back to stock the stock 3*, noticeably lost power and still have pinging, I am thinking about trying a water decarbonize see if that helps, if that is not it I need to look at 02's or injectors.

On friends vehicle (non cruiser) we set his timing by computer monitoring, it is a obdI vehicle you can get knock cont data from the ALDL connector advance it until it knocks on acceleration on a hot day and back off some, I think it would up being around 13 degrees.

You could do the same on 96 & 97 cruisers using OBDII software.

I went ahead and just set mine to 8 deg. Just filled up and have been tracking MPG so I should get some data there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom