Has anyone advanced the timing on 1FZ-FE? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the undocumented feeling that I'm losing gas mileage from being advanced 4 degrees from stock on my 93. My bro in law's 93 consistently gets 2-3MPG better and that's without my anal care, proper inflation, synthetics, etc. I remember getting a notable performance improvement especially in the mid range RPMs but honestly driving his around I cannot tell a difference. If enough of you bitch at me I'll drop it back to stock and get the data. Otherwise, 12.5MPG isn't bothering me enough yet to mess with it since I still have to:
-dewinterize the boat for summer
-paint the livingroom, entry, and main room
-buy and install an ARB on both rigs
-repack the 93's front axle
-install the 3rd seatbelt in the 97's third row laying on the bench
-stain the deck
-organize my office
-organize the garage

Tonight I ran out of time and had to do something I've only joked about. I used my mountain bike racing helmet light to actually mow the lawn both at my home and our rental house in the dark. That's behind, guys. Gotta do what ya gotta do I guess......

DougM

I've been runnin mine at 10* for almost a year now. Defintely more power and smoother accelaration and I don't think the mileage changed, at least not enough to notice.

IdahoDoug said:
Tonight I ran out of time and had to do something I've only joked about. I used my mountain bike racing helmet light to actually mow the lawn both at my home and our rental house in the dark. That's behind, guys. Gotta do what ya gotta do I guess......

DougM

I hope in the interest of safety you were using a L&M Arc so you could see adequately. LMAO.

I am about to bring mine up to 6 or 7 also. I think in theory it should help not only throttle lag/response, but also MPG (by maybe 0.5-1 MPG) . Has anyone really tracked the MPGS?

Also, due to head gasket paranoia, does anyone think that bringing it up to six or seven would raise the compression enough to cause a non-leaking HG to start seeping? I will of course make sure that it is not knocking on hot days/high loads.

How much of a pressure difference are we talking about (in laymans terms)?

:confused:

There should not be much of a difference in pressure seen by the HG, timing is more about aligning the peak pressure with the best mechanical advantage of the crank.

raven you're such the... how does one say this in a nice way.... nerd.

on the side notes. how it going brotha. loving it over here at Yancey, building there diesel engines now. any how loan me your timing light so i might do this mod. biotch ;)

instigator said:
raven you're such the... how does one say this in a nice way.... nerd.

Yeh... that's just hard to say in a nice way.

I propose:

Really
Astute
Venerably
Enginuitive
Narrate &
Technically
Advanced
Intellect

:D

Cary,

I used my NightRider Storm HID lamp. Interestingly, it was much easier to see the edge than during the day simply because of the night contrast, plus it was cool evening temps. Worked out well.

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
Cary,

I used my NightRider Storm HID lamp. Interestingly, it was much easier to see the edge than during the day simply because of the night contrast, plus it was cool evening temps. Worked out well.

DougM

Gee, maybe this should go into outfitting:D

Whassup Homie

:flipoff2:

Good to see you back at mud, Also glad to hear Yancey is treating you right, I helped Bunky move his box up to there, It was a much bigger and more organized operation than I was expecting. Even the small shop he is working in looked nice. He said you were working the big shop, I did not get a chance to look around it, there were some big dump trucks out front when we drove by. He seams to like it a lot also, if I were staying I think I would try to get on there.

Me I am enjoying the temporary but nice benefits of the severance package, getting the house packed up and trying to get it on the market. I am behind as usual.

Bit of gossip for you, Jim ran into Gilligan at the store, turns out Paul in now in Mexico overseeing some work there not sure if it is overhauls or what, I gather that is where the mad dogs went after being kicked out of Miami, I think we got out at the right time. Gilligan said there were real thin, the helper thing is not working out,

You can borrow my timing light anytime, just bring that pretty 40th down here to Newnan

Rookie2 said:
Yeh... that's just hard to say in a nice way.

I propose:

Really
Astute
Venerably
Enginuitive
Narrate &
Technically
Advanced
Intellect

:D

Wow thanks, had to look up a couple of those, I think you overestimate, but got that one saved anyway.

I ran my 96 LX at 8 degrees for about a year, and I really liked the performance but I was getting some "off-idle rattle" that bothered me, so I retarded to 6 degrees and all is well. The throttle response isn't as sharp but the engine is quiet.

I am using 87 octane exclusively. If I didn't mind paying extra I would run 89 and go back to 8 degrees.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Since I advanced to 6* I seem to be getting the same mileage (city) as before but I have been driving much more agressively. :)

Power seems instant and it just plain feels stronger.

some folks might want to keep in mind that in some States (no comment) they will check the timing during the smog test...

Not CA. fwiw. I just smogged two vehicles, both at the same smog only station No timing check.

Just had mine smogged late last year in San Diego and they did check the timing.

Maybe it is different in different countys? In West L.A. First my BMW in Early Feb 2006, the other the cruiser in Early March 2006 smog only which are supposedly more stringent no timing.

they did check mine

Well I just advanced my timing about 4 deg. It was at about 6 BTDC, now it is at 10. I followed the directions in the link from an earlier post and it all went smoothly except I wasn't able to short out the connections in the ECU service plug. My engine warning light did not blink with the ingition on and the timing did not change at all with the paperclip in place:confused: . After several attempts at repositioning my SST (paperclip) I just kept going as if it was shorted. Anyway, I did notice a power increase:D and no noticable pinging but I will keep checking that. Now a few questions:

1. How will I know if the knock sensor is eliminating knocking?

2. What is the ideal timing for power increase and/or fuel economy? Do I keep advancing until I get a knock and then back off slightly?

3. I think that I should be running leaner with the advanced timing, has anyone had overheating problems after advancing their timing?

My LC is a supercharged 97 with stock gears and 35's and a lot of heavy extras. I have always run premium gas because I was told I had to with the SC.

Thank you for the information. For a few minutes I felt like I was a Master Toyota Tech.

Snorkel 1 said:
Well I just advanced my timing about 4 deg. It was at about 6 BTDC, now it is at 10.
My LC is a supercharged 97 with stock gears and 35's and a lot of heavy extras. I have always run premium gas because I was told I had to with the SC.

Thank you for the information. For a few minutes I felt like I was a Master Toyota Tech.

PUT YOUR TIMING BACK NOW!!!! :eek: :eek: Seriously, this is for guys without blowers or turbo's. You engine is already running at about its timing limit stock. In fact, many guys with blowers have to back the timing off a degree or two, even with 91 octane gas.

Well I did the timing bump tonight. I had to find the timing light, but it was right in the box I left it in, NEXT TO MY DWELL METER!!!!. Followed the directions, on my 96 no CEL, but it was obvious it was in the check mode as the timing when from about 6-10 degrees to 3 degrees when I used the SST (I shut off the engine). I bumped the timing to about 6-7 degrees. Definetely a bit snappier, if I had to guess, it was worth about 10-12 horsepower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom