Harmonic balancer fail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pretty sure it’s finally let go and the mis-alignment of my belts is because of it. Unless you think the crank bolt decided to walk itself out.

Have a look at the amount of rubber showing on the back side of the crank pulley.

It kept sleeping the alternator belts and I couldn’t figure out why until this last go I realized even the A/C compressor belt was mis-aligned.

04E61DA5-62A9-477F-9FBA-45EE6E3EB4E9.jpeg

1E37BE6A-852D-49F6-B5EE-278330B91B95.jpeg

99A9CEE1-74FF-461C-9855-62CA2604EA6F.jpeg

Last edited:
Pretty sure it’s finally let of and the mis-alignment of my belts is because of it. Unless you think the crank bolt decided to walk itself out.

Have a look at eh amount of rubber showing on the back side of the crank pulley.

It kept sleeping the alternator belts and I couldn’t figure out why until this last go I realized even the A/C compressor belt was mis-aligned.

View attachment 3031396

View attachment 3031397

View attachment 3031398
Totally a HB failure.

Get it fixed before it comes apart and eats a radiator and a timing cover.

It's at least half-way off. That's a ticking bomb.

Yeah, I couldn’t figure why the alternator belt kept slipping until the 5th when realized the alignment to both a/c and alt belts was off.

Check everything else carefully when you replace it. On my HZJ80, when the balancer separated, it bent the alternator bracket and ruined the AC idler pully. Damage was done before I knew anything was wrong.

And this is a public service announcement for everyone else with an 80. If you haven't replaced your harmonic balancer in the last 10 years, do it now as preventative maintenance. Much cheaper than waiting for a failure. I figure this part is good for 20 years max. Beyond that, it's luck and prayers keeping it together.

Since I was a away from home I towed it into the nearest dealer…agh! They’ll do the front main seal and oil pump cover seal while they are in there.

Thanks Mud members.

And this is a public service announcement for everyone else with an 80. If you haven't replaced your harmonic balancer in the last 10 years, do it now as preventative maintenance. Much cheaper than waiting for a failure. I figure this part is good for 20 years max. Beyond that, it's luck and prayers keeping it together.

And how many confirmed 1FZ failures have you encountered? In the 23 years I had a chance to sell 1FZ engine parts I never sold a balancer. In addition I think this is the first or maybe the second I have heard of.

And how many confirmed 1FZ failures have you encountered? In the 23 years I had a chance to sell 1FZ engine parts I never sold a balancer. In addition I think this is the first or maybe the second I have heard of.
Honestly I haven't paid attention, but this isn’t the first time it's come up here. Doesn't seem like rocket science though, the balancer is in two parts held together by rubber, and subject to extreme forces. How much stock would you put in 20 year old rubber? Any original balancers are time bombs.

I guess it comes down to budgets, appetite for risk, and his much to do while you're in there.

$400 is kind of cheap insurance, but also a decent chunk of money for piece of mind.

On the other hand, $400 is a fraction of a full rebuild, or engine replacement if you had a major failure as a result of balancer coming apart

Holy hell! The dealer wants 6 hours of labor.
That's not out of line, especially if you want the front main and the oil pump cover done.

Hell just that part took me about 10 if I remember correctly just because I'm slow. I also had my radiator out.

That's not out of line, especially if you want the front main and the oil pump cover done.

Hell just that part took me about 10 if I remember correctly just because I'm slow. I also had my radiator out.

Well….I guess. I was just thinking in my head. I’m kind of up creek with out a paddle so I may just have them do it.

I ordered all the parts from Toyota parts deal and had them overnight night it. At least 25% cheaper then what they were quoting me on parts.

FWIW a previous discussion comparing a Dorman HB and a Toyota OEM HB

You ordered the parts yourself or thru the dealer?

Normally shops, especially dealers will not perform repairs with parts they didn't order. Honestly its an peasy job if you have a torque multiplier.
PART NUMBER: Neiko PRO 03715B (sold on Scamizon for $239.96) seems expensive but it will turn a 200 foot Lb torque wrench in to a 1000,ft lb torque wrench.

I preemptively ordered a Harmonic Balancer from Toyota parts-Q for around $250.00 when I replaced my front main seal, the old one had a slight wobble @ 349,000 on the odometer, its smooth as butter now. As a side note before my crank seal replacement procedure, I looked at the Toyota maintenance records for my 80 1zfe and found a service job where (the largest local dealer, in my area) was actually unable to remove the crank shaft bolt and abandoned the crank shaft seal replacement job. Using my torque multiplier, I calculated that it took over 700 Ft Lbs of torque to remove the crank bolt, i had the torque wrench set to 240 ft lb (240 + multiplier x 3 =720). I also ordered and installed a new crank bolt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom