Harmonic balancer fail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They are vulcanized and will dry rot, crack, fall apart over time.

You drive when they are toast and you run the risk of destroying the crank where the bolt on.

Cheers

How many bad 1FZ balancers have you seen?

How many bad 1FZ balancers have you seen?
I know the “runout” was off on my 97 with 349,000 I could see it

Vulcanized rubber has a life span of 5-10 years, according to my Google search.

Side note: I have full knowledge access to a chemist and a few materials engineers who also verified this

You will find a great deal at PartsOuq. Don’t bother with aftermarket junk.

1HD-T new OEM balancer around $120 IIRC. You need a big ass torque wrench to do the job. (362 ft-lb, 490 N m)

IMG_0970.jpeg

IMG_0972.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpeg

You ordered the parts yourself or thru the dealer?

Normally shops, especially dealers will not perform repairs with parts they didn't order. Honestly its an peasy job if you have a torque multiplier.
PART NUMBER: Neiko PRO 03715B (sold on Scamizon for $239.96) seems expensive but it will turn a 200 foot Lb torque wrench in to a 1000,ft lb torque wrench.

I preemptively ordered a Harmonic Balancer from Toyota parts-Q for around $250.00 when I replaced my front main seal, the old one had a slight wobble @ 349,000 on the odometer, its smooth as butter now. As a side note before my crank seal replacement procedure, I looked at the Toyota maintenance records for my 80 1zfe and found a service job where (the largest local dealer, in my area) was actually unable to remove the crank shaft bolt and abandoned the crank shaft seal replacement job. Using my torque multiplier, I calculated that it took over 700 Ft Lbs of torque to remove the crank bolt, i had the torque wrench set to 240 ft lb (240 + multiplier x 3 =720). I also ordered and installed a new crank bolt
Oddly they didn’t have a problem. I called another local dealer beer home just to gauge it and they wouldn’t even quite me because I said I had all the parts.

Another dealer told me it would cost me 3k in labor.

I know it’s not a hard job. I’ve removed my harmonic balancer on my 60 before with the use a chain wrench. I would perform the job myself but I’m pressed for time as I’m in the cal guard currently activated with cal fire….and I need the truck to pick up this bad boy.

Oddly they didn’t have a problem. I called another local dealer beer home just to gauge it and they wouldn’t even quite me because I said I had all the parts.

Another dealer told me it would cost me 3k in labor.

I know it’s not a hard job. I’ve removed my harmonic balancer on my 60 before with the use a chain wrench. I would perform the job myself but I’m pressed for time as I’m in the cal guard currently activated with cal fire….and I need the truck to pick up this bad boy.

Good luck keep us posted !

just did mine recently. Same symptoms and glad caught it before it flew out!
Had post on 80 owners Facebook USA group

Well, got the truck back. No more odd squeak that I though was the A/C compressor…even though it was replaced a few months ago.

The truck feels a little more sluggish though. Might be some of the heft from a brand new harmonic balancer.

Really need @landtank to get his supercharger kit completed.

Adding to the thread for future reference.

My ballancer also went out a few months back. Front seal was leaking anyways so time to replace it.

In my instance I discovered the issue two ways. 1st on a cold start the truck would make a groaning noise for a few seconds at random intervals till it warmed up. This was due to the rubber on the balancer fully cracking. The crank would spin without rotating the outer pulley for a few rotations till it warmed up and "caught"

This also resulted in an rpm drop associated with the grunting noise. I also noticed the pulled appeared to have a warble to it while rubbing. At first I thought the bolt was working loose.

I searched on the forum and it did not appear to be a common failure. I assume the failure was due to oil from the bad seal getting onto the rubber and slowly degrading it. If that is the case, changing the seal earlier would have saved the ballancer.

My sons 80 also gave out at 200k miles while pulling another 80 out of the woods. Reached out to some friends to borrow a 3/4 drive Long beaker bar and heard from one with same failure.

E0520591-0F70-4553-AE49-76704D5C6284.jpeg

Mine definitely had a noise that I had attributed to the A/C and idler pulley due to it only happening when the A/C was in use. It also happened when cold until it was up to temp.

I assume the failure was due to oil from the bad seal getting onto the rubber and slowly degrading it. If that is the case, changing the seal earlier would have saved the ballancer.

Binjo!!!!!

I'm with cruiser Dan on this one. Do they fail? Sure, but I am not going to replace it just for prevention when some jack ace might cut me off and total my rig next week.

A wise mechanic once told me, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

That being said this is another thing I check anytime I am going somewhere remote with my rig. If you pay attention to your rig and know the rig intimately like you should, than there is no reason why a failing balancer can't be caught before a "catastrophic" failure.

If I wanted to replace every part that could fail and leave me stranded as preventive maintenance I might as well buy a new 4 runner or tundra.

Binjo!!!!!

I'm with cruiser Dan on this one. Do they fail? Sure, but I am not going to replace it just for prevention when some jack ace might cut me off and total my rig next week.

A wise mechanic once told me, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

That being said this is another thing I check anytime I am going somewhere remote with my rig. If you pay attention to your rig and know the rig intimately like you should, than there is no reason why a failing balancer can't be caught before a "catastrophic" failure.

If I wanted to replace every part that could fail and leave me stranded as preventive maintenance I might as well buy a new 4 runner or tundra.
I get what you're saying, but I disagree on this one. My HZJ80 had no oil contamination on the balancer when it went, and it damaged other components before there were any noticeable noises. Suspiciously, the timing of when it caused problems was also a few months after I went on some serious 4x4 trails. I suspect the extra bumps and jolts from the track are what caused the hardened, embrittled rubber to finally let go.

I don't wait for my tyres to pop or my brakes to fail before I give them attention. Speaking of tyres, would you stick 20 year old tyres on your rig? I did on mine in a pinch, and your response was, and I quote:
giphy-gif.2809301

And you were right, it was a bad idea. Not sure why leaving ancient rubber holding together part of your engine while spinning at a few thousand RPM until it fails is better?

I get what you're saying, but I disagree on this one. My HZJ80 had no oil contamination on the balancer when it went, and it damaged other components before there were any noticeable noises. Suspiciously, the timing of when it caused problems was also a few months after I went on some serious 4x4 trails. I suspect the extra bumps and jolts from the track are what caused the hardened, embrittled rubber to finally let go.

I don't wait for my tyres to pop or my brakes to fail before I give them attention. Speaking of tyres, would you stick 20 year old tyres on your rig? I did on mine in a pinch, and your response was, and I quote:
giphy-gif.2809301

And you were right, it was a bad idea. Not sure why leaving ancient rubber holding together part of your engine while spinning at a few thousand RPM until it fails is better?
I'd think there'd be some visible or audible clues if failure was imminent though. Maybe it's more common for them to fail on diesels because of the extra torque down low?

Anyway $400 is too rich for my blood for PM given the seemingly low failure rates. Sounds like replacing it is not a trivial job either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom