Builds Hard Ways - Rigger's 1969 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you'll be surprised at how well it'll run now.

It was one of those hoped for cases where I just cranked the engine until the bowl filled and then the truck just started and idled without touching anything. ;)

The truck runs much better than it ever has since I bought it, um, has it really been nearly three years ago?! The motor is only fifty years old :) and Mark pointed out that the vacuum is lower than ideal, so that limits the performance somewhat. It needs some feathering at shift points it seems, but I want to drive it more and get to know its new personality.

During the process of working on ignition, carburetor, and valves, it became clear that the starter motor was nearing the end of it's life, so I ordered another one. It should be available today, but I won't be able to get to that until later this week.

Mark also adjusted the steering center arm which removed some steering play. So, that's another box checked for now. Eventually the center arm will need a rebuild.

I had to bail out early this morning and head to Montana. When I'm back home, I'll get the starter installed, and then take it for a longer drive.

Thanks again, Mark @65swb45 - I hope you have safe travels homeward.

It was really cool to watch Mark coaxing Hard Ways in to some improved behavior.

And don’t forget to order that new fuse block from @Racer65 . It should get to your house before you do! ;)

It was one of those hoped for cases where I just cranked the engine until the bowl filled and then the truck just started and idled without touching anything. ;)

was there ever any doubt???

safe travels across Idaho and going home.

In the postmortem analysis, I determined that Hard Ways was suffering from three simultaneous problems. First and probably foremost, the distributor was SO worn out that I could rock the shaft literally 1/8” side to side! Which confirmed my hunch not to sell Alfred a Pertronix unit, but instead push him into a new dizzy.

2. The tension spring on the accelerator pump arm had lost its tension. So when he pumped the pedal the rod went up and down, but the plunger never plunged.

3. The valves were severely out of adjustment. One of the exhaust valves was so tight I had to loosen the adjuster screw almost a full turn in order to get it back to spec. I could hear the pop in the tailpipe when we started. There was no pop when I finished, so hopefully there was no permanent damage.

I got, in addition to the above-listed things, some new inspiration. Very happy about that.

:)

I got, in addition to the above-listed things, some new inspiration. Very happy about that.

:)

I really like that your 40 is from 8/1969. I would love to have one of that exact same age. Very good things came into existence that month right at 50 years ago. It could also be that on the 26th of that month almost half a century ago that I came into existence....:cheers::flipoff2:
I am glad that you got some inspiration. You had one of the Land Cruiser legends working on your 40 so that should have given you lots of inspiration to keep going for a good while. I wish Mark was closer to the east coast for us Cruiser owners on the opposite side of the Country.

What appears to be wrong with the starter?

The little gear would slide out, engage the flywheel, turn around for a few turns, then slide back on its own, prematurely.

Annoying.

Alfred

Mulling things over (something I do a lot of) it occurs to me one of the system checks we didn’t do was to disconnect the vacuum hose that runs the 4wd controller to see if vacuum improves.

Next time you’re with the truck you should do that and see if there’s any difference.

I will do that for sure.

F601D8EB-C5C5-4A03-A2B5-2E6804A80BAA.jpeg

I’m in need of a bracket that holds one end of the carburetor accelerator pedal return spring.

Said bracket is held in place by two of the nuts that hold the carburetor to the intake manifold.

I’ll post pics of what I think I need.

The thing at bottom of this pic. Maybe someone has a part number. Or a spare.

0705B760-C50F-42B2-81FB-D4546CC83206.jpeg

I’m in need of a bracket that holds one end of the carburetor accelerator pedal return spring.

Said bracket is held in place by two of the nuts that hold the carburetor to the intake manifold.

I’ll post pics of what I think I need.

The thing at bottom of this pic. Maybe someone has a part number. Or a spare.

View attachment 2042160

hi rigger ,

I have the Bracket u need , should be the same part #

DSCN9944.JPG
DSCN9945.JPG
DSCN9946.JPG

Alfred, does your carb have rod linkage?
Paul

My carb has a cable linkage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom