Builds Hard Ways - Rigger's 1969 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A couple views of my current carburetor. I’m wondering about the wiring to that solenoid. It looks like it has a chassis ground but there’s no other wire. That can’t be right, can it? Shouldn’t there be another wire? I can’t find a loose wire anywhere else in that area.

Ok. Stymied on the carb. Truck won’t start. Bummer.

Started back into some wiring. Goal: wire up taillights. Rear wiring had some previous work done. I ended up snipping that out and re-doing it. Taillights still would not work. Hmmm. Finally realized I had no grounds at the taillights or the license plate illuminators. Added short ground pigtails and now have working rear lights.

I don’t have brake lights yet, and I don’t have turn signals. Those are a problem for another day, I guess.

My wife and I took a leisurely three mile bicycle ride.

Gonna have a cheeseburger for dinner.

I hope I don't have to start thinking about a Weber carb . . . . .

The solenoid should have a power wire with male bullet you hook to a switched circuit. So it should only be hot when you turn the key. Also a short ground with a ring connector that goes under a mounting screw. My solenoid was intermittent so I switch the ring for FEMALE(so it can’t get hooke backwards) and ran a ground wire to firewall.

So you got rear markers working but no rear turns or brake light?

The solenoid should have a power wire with male bullet you hook to a switched circuit. So it should only be hot when you turn the key. Also a short ground with a ring connector that goes under a mounting screw. My solenoid was intermittent so I switch the ring for FEMALE(so it can’t get hooke backwards) and ran a ground wire to firewall.

If I understand correctly how it is supposed to work, if it does not function, the truck should not run at all. But the truck ran when I bought it a year and a half ago, and it ran a few months ago, too. I'm not sure what's different now, but I never messed with the carburetor. I think it odd that my solenoid has one very short wire that goes from the solenoid to a screw on the carb. To me, that looks like a ground wire. There's no other wire.

So you got rear markers working but no rear turns or brake light?

Yes. I have taillights.

The wire that controls the brake lights and the turn signals has no power. So I have to trace that one back and see what the problem is. I ran out of time today, so I'll get back to that one later.

Meant to attach this earlier, not that you need it:cheers:
FBD18CB9-7961-4AA1-93E0-371DEB682CB3.jpeg

Thanks @thebigredrocker

Your photo helps me to confirm that my solenoid is messed up.

The ‘solenoid ‘ on that carb is not like the one that preceded it in ‘68 or the one that followed it. The carburetor will and can run perfectly without it.

And it is often the case that the wire is cut neatly, flush with the cylinder.

Thanks @65swb45

I’m trying to decide on what to do next. If my needle valve was stuck, how could I free it up?

Also, it was suggested maybe make sure I’m getting spark. So gonna check that too.

for a stuck needle you can try what I mentioned earlier. That is tap the carb top at the fuel inlet with a plastic mallet or wood block. Or you can remove the fuel line and squirt a bit of carb cleaner in the fitting. One thing we sometimes do is fill the fuel bowl through there with spray carb clean. The engine will run on that and it cleans the passages up as it passes through. Do you see fuel in the sight glass?

Thanks @cruiserdan

I whacked on it a bit, yes. Truth is, I’m not 100% sure how hard to smack it.

I’ll try what you suggest about removing the fuel inlet line and squirting some carb cleaner in there.

I appreciate your suggestions.

I do see fuel in the sight glass.

If there is fuel in the glass the needle is probably not stuck. If you pour a bit of gas down the carb throat will the engine attempt to start?

If not I suspect spark (the lack thereof).

I have not poured gasoline into the carb. But it will fire when I spray starting fluid into it.

I feel as though it is a fuel delivery issue.

Ether is my go-to for diagnostics. It’ll jump start a dead horse. If it’s trying to start on it, it’s not electrical.

Thanks, all of you. I’m gonna work on it some more.

You have my number, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom