Builds Hard Ways - Rigger's 1969 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Please do.:)

Ok. Update.

Per advice from @cruiserdan Gave the carb a whack with a mallet handle, and sprayed it down with carb cleaner. Turned it over and she by gosh staggered up from her slumber!

Drove it around a bit. It died a few times but restarted. Parked it back in the garage. After dinner, I looked at it and realized I got some coolant leaks.

Instead if Teflon tape, try to find some Teflon pipe “dope”. I use it liberally on tapered threads so I don’t get chunks of tape in the plumbing systems I build.

Something I learned from an "old time" hydraulics mechanic a few years ago was to keep the wrap of teflon tape up at least one thread from the beginning of the threads. Doing this will keep any of the teflon tape from entering the system. When the tape overlaps the end of the threads is when the gunk gets into the system.

Ether is my go-to for diagnostics. It’ll jump start a dead horse. If it’s trying to start on it, it’s not electrical.

Ether will also get insects going, but when they run out of ether they are dead. Many years ago I worked in hospital maintenance. One day we were playing around with box elder beatles when we found this out.

Don

945A9DAB-9C68-4BA1-8411-96C0434ABF8F.jpeg

Alfred

I wish more people would follow your example of posting links to the threads they have, or are planning to, review. :cheers:

I've been doing some road testing and local driving of the truck as I work my way thru its issues. As you know, I have the top off. I like the topless look and feel, especially in the warm weather. However, the no-doors thing is a bit sketchy. My bride commented on how unsafe it is with no doors. So, I ordered me a set of Metal Tech tube doors. They're powdercoated black, so will match my color theme.

https://www.metaltech4x4.com/metal-tech-fj40-tube-doors/

I'm off on a few tangents with work and other stuff, so I'll check back in later.

Hmmm. After much thought, decided to spring for a concrete driveway.

96865703-060C-449A-9648-CC0D5E6DDE7F.jpeg

My quick hinges arrived. Thanks @69LC

34337BEF-CF10-4BAA-B91F-63C258515B52.jpeg

Worked on removing factory hinges. Got all bolts except that pesky bugger on driver side top. Gonna have to pull the gage cluster.

Hmmm. After much thought, decided to spring for a concrete driveway.

View attachment 1704343

Looks like you’ve got some elbow room there Alfred. Don’t forget to disconnect the battery before trying to remove the cluster.

I got your letter. I will call you with a quote tomorrow.

I’ve asked @65swb45 to assist me with a carburetor solution. He’s getting that ready for me.

Meanwhile, I’m working on my MetalTech tube door install.

E1464D65-A457-488B-80C0-E72016BA9376.jpeg

Going through your thread I noticed you found a switch with two wires to no where on your dash. Did you ever determine what this was? I found the same thing on my 11/69 which I am currently reinstalling the harness in

I never found where they connect to, but am pretty sure it is for the interior light (room light).

All the wires that go up to the roof were replaced, so maybe they dropped these somewhere along the way.

On my 10/69 70 model there is a red wire that comes out the wiper harness where the radius starts at top of the windshield. Has a grommets where it go in and out the windshield frame. Bullet connector after that when the top is removed and windshield folded down. Wire that connectsthat bullet connector goes to the dome ligjt. At the switch it has two bare wires with screw lugs on the switch. One the two wires runs to the windshield. Other goes to the unswitched side of the fuse block. At some point the switch had male bullet connectors until the switch moved directly on the dome light.

I’ve asked @65swb45 to assist me with a carburetor solution. He’s getting that ready for me.

Meanwhile, I’m working on my MetalTech tube door install.

View attachment 1708311

Alfred

It looks like I may have an opportunity to deliver your replacement carb. I will be driving through Sheridan in about a week and a half. I will call you tomorrow to give you details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom