Harbor Freight Winches (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, I ripped that idea straight off your pictures in page 2 of this thread, so thanks......

I just think it's cool someone else liked the idea and that if fits on the other grill.

......It weighs 93lbs and dropped my front 0.75-1". I have the Ironman equivalent of the OME 851's, so I assumed that would be the case......

I think my OME 850s settled about the same - not bad after 8 yrs of having a lighter 8K winch on before.

Theres a coupon for a 12k for 329.99 this month. Display

you may find a store that might honor it and a 20% coupon if youre lucky. they are tightening down on coupons lately though. If not 399 plus 20% is still cheaper,

3 questions:

1) Does anyone know if this winch will fit on the ARB bull bar for an Fj62?
2) Anyone have a track on a 20% off coupon that is current/valid.
3) Being green to winches, does a 2-300amp draw winch requirement (previous post) mean that my alternator and electrical system will have to be able to support a continuous 2-300amp draw? With the Fj62's they have an "throttle" nob on them...I'm guessing that pulling that guy out and rev'ing to 2k rpms wouldn't be enough? Which probably means I'd need a deep cycle battery, battery isolator, etc, etc, etc, bla bla bla, $$$$$$$$

(edit) - re: q3, in the mean time I'm searching mud for winching 101.

Oh ya, also I foresee myself using a winch less than a dozen times over a year....if that helps to better answer Q3.

Last edited:
Today I had planned on getting my 12K Badlands wire rope under tension. I have a trip planned in the near future and wanted to take care of this step as I hadn't since installing a few months ago. As I was free-spooling and clearly not paying enough attention the rope came loose from the drum. Loose as in they are now not connected.

Basically the rope connects to the drum via a hole that goes through the end of the drum. A screw that is tightened with an allan key is used to secure the rope to the drum, through the hole. Mine was loose. Loose enough to just allow the wire rope to slide out.

My problem now is that I can't get the rope back through the hole because it is somewhat fraying a bit like a shoelace would do. Something that I thought was going to be quick this evening turned into a big pain. So now I have a 100ft of rope in my truck.

My advice to you guys is to make sure that little screw is tight. Mine clearly wasn't tight from the factory. :doh:

20% coupon
20.JPG

Last edited:
I gave the guys at ARB the dimensions for this bad mamma-jamma and there should not be any fitment issues for my Fj62 bull bar. so I'm good there. I asked the guy to explain DUTY CYCLE to me and gave him this: 5% (45 sec at Max Rated Load; 14 min, 15 sec rest) that is exactly what is stated in the on-line owners manual for this winch. He was confused by how it was stated...can anyone help me here. I am assuming that I can only use this guy for 45 seconds max under max load and then have to let it rest for 14 min. Is that accurate? Can someone breakdown that ducty cylce rating statement (above) to me in super basic 1st grader terms...thank you. Looks like I am buying a winch this weekend!!!!

Today I had planned on getting my 12K Badlands wire rope under tension. I have a trip planned in the near future and wanted to take care of this step as I hadn't since installing a few months ago. As I was free-spooling and clearly not paying enough attention the rope came loose from the drum. Loose as in they are now not connected.

Basically the rope connects to the drum via a hole that goes through the end of the drum. A screw that is tightened with an allan key is used to secure the rope to the drum, through the hole. Mine was loose. Loose enough to just allow the wire rope to slide out.

My problem now is that I can't get the rope back through the hole because it is somewhat fraying a bit like a shoelace would do. Something that I thought was going to be quick this evening turned into a big pain. So now I have a 100ft of rope in my truck.

My advice to you guys is to make sure that little screw is tight. Mine clearly wasn't tight from the factory. :doh:

You cannot rely on that connection to hold a load, either. Not sure if you knew this or not, but when you get down to the 1st wrap on your spool, you want the rope to be wrapped around the spool at least 4 or 5 loops to be able to hold or pull a load. This is not widely published in winch manuals and it should be, because most guys don't think about it. It can be embarasing, too. My brother-in-law and I were out one weekend, he had a '70 Bronco and I had my 80 series (this was with my old Ramsey 8K) and we had this hill we had to get up. Neither of us had lockers but we both had winches. I went up 1st as far as I could and winched when I needed to get to the top. Well I turned around, faced down hill and disengaged the clutch and freespooled out the line for him to anchor to and went back and got in my rig to hold the brakes. Well, I had forgot to re-engage the clutch and you can guess what happened when he tried to use his winch. :eek: Yep - doink - off came my winch line. Kinda made a mess of the end of it, too. Oh well, live and learn. :cheers:

I gave the guys at ARB the dimensions for this bad mamma-jamma and there should not be any fitment issues for my Fj62 bull bar. so I'm good there. I asked the guy to explain DUTY CYCLE to me and gave him this: 5% (45 sec at Max Rated Load; 14 min, 15 sec rest) that is exactly what is stated in the on-line owners manual for this winch. He was confused by how it was stated...can anyone help me here. I am assuming that I can only use this guy for 45 seconds max under max load and then have to let it rest for 14 min. Is that accurate? Can someone breakdown that ducty cylce rating statement (above) to me in super basic 1st grader terms...thank you. Looks like I am buying a winch this weekend!!!!

If that's what the manual says (I'm at work and don't have access to mine), it's best to keep as close to their reccomendations as possible. But you need to be aware that under full load an electric winch generates tremendous heat and you need to let it cool off so it doesn't melt something. Most stucks don't need even 45 seconds of full load pulling, but sometimes you get into a hairy situation and need a little more help:rolleyes:. It's these times, that you need to use this info so you don't ruin a very valuable tool. :cheers:

If that's what the manual says (I'm at work and don't have access to mine), it's best to keep as close to their reccomendations as possible. But you need to be aware that under full load an electric winch generates tremendous heat and you need to let it cool off so it doesn't melt something. Most stucks don't need even 45 seconds of full load pulling, but sometimes you get into a hairy situation and need a little more help:rolleyes:. It's these times, that you need to use this info so you don't ruin a very valuable tool. :cheers:

but is my understanding correct? 5% duty cycle - 45 secs under full load will require 14min of rest?

what about the "15 sec rest" part I am not sure what that means.

but is my understanding correct? 5% duty cycle - 45 secs under full load will require 14min of rest?

what about the "15 sec rest" part I am not sure what that means.

I just pulled out my Badland Winch manual and turned to paqe 17 where the Duty Cycle section is. In a 15 minute period of time, if you run the winch at full load for 45 seconds, you will need to let it rest (power off) for the rest of the 15 minute period. Or in other words, if you subtract 45 seconds from 15 minutes, it leaves you with 14 minutes and 15 seconds. The total rest period is 14 minutes and 15 seconds. They say: "....must be allowed to rest for at least 14 minutes, 15 seconds.....". They should have put an "and" instead of a comma in that statement. I hope this helps.

The last 5 wraps came painted red to keep one from going past that point.

80t0ylc said:
I just pulled out my Badland Winch manual and turned to paqe 17 where the Duty Cycle section is. In a 15 minute period of time, if you run the winch at full load for 45 seconds, you will need to let it rest (power off) for the rest of the 15 minute period. Or in other words, if you subtract 45 seconds from 15 minutes, it leaves you with 14 minutes and 15 seconds. The total rest period is 14 minutes and 15 seconds. They say: "....must be allowed to rest for at least 14 minutes, 15 seconds.....". They should have put an "and" instead of a comma in that statement. I hope this helps.

Makes sense now. Thank you for the clarification. Of course I hope I'd never be pulling a full 12k load with my vehicle....

I just purchased an ENGO 12k winch, and from your pictures, it appears to be almost identical to the Badland winch. As a result, this thread has been very helpful since not much has been posted yet about the ENGO. It just came today and I have not installed it yet, but here are a couple of observations from reading the thread and my manual.

1) The ENGO manual clearly states in three places that you must keep at least 5 turns on the reel when under load.

2) The duty cycle spec is pretty vague. It says, "Do not pull more than one minute at or near the rated load. If the motor becomes too hot to touch, stop and let it cool off for a few minutes."

3) As I said, they appear to be nearly identical on the exterior dimensions, finish, and hardware, but the ENGO has slightly different numbers.

4) The parts list does not specify the size of the mounting bolts. They are listed as plain old cap screws.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that the two winches look like they were probably made at the same factory in China, but the manuals were so different. I got a great deal through MetalTech - $359 including remote and fairlead, with FREE SHIPPING!!!! Can't wait to install it and test it out. :cheers:

I just picked up mine and they let me use a 20% off coupon with the $329 sale price....score!!!!! Funny thing about the info on the box.....can anyone pick it out? Picture 1 is of the entire box. Picture 2 has the typos in it. Picture 3 is just for info for anyone curious of the power figures.
ForumRunner_20120309_115650.jpg
ForumRunner_20120309_115709.jpg
ForumRunner_20120309_115731.jpg

I just picked up mine and they let me use a 20% off coupon with the $329 sale price....score!!!!! Funny thing about the info on the box.....can anyone pick it out? Picture 1 is of the entire box. Picture 2 has the typos in it. Picture 3 is just for info for anyone curious of the power figures.

Yeah, I don't think that my 12K Badland winch is 13.3 inches long :eek: - it's more like 21" IIRC :lol:

80t0ylc said:
Yeah, I don't think that my 12K Badland winch is 13.3 inches long :eek: - it's more like 21" IIRC :lol:

The 3"x4.88" bolting pattern would be awfully tiny for that large of a winch too.....

I'm pretty excited to get it installed once my ARB arrives.

This is my first winch ever. Any good words of wisdom when installing or using it? It's going on a bone stock (electrically speaking) Fj62. A battery isolator and yellow top will be purchases down the road as finances rebuild a bit.

Last edited:
The 3"x4.88" bolting pattern would be awfully tiny for that large of a winch too......
Missed that, but it looks consistant to their other printing mistakes - hopefully their errors end there.

........I'm pretty excited to get it installed once my ARB arrives.

This is my first winch ever. Any good words of wisdom when installing or using it? It's going on a bone stock (electrically speaking) Fj62. A battery isolator and yellow top will be purchases down the road as finances rebuild a bit.

Good mounting choice! As far as advice, I'd say join a TLCA club if you don't already belong to one. It's better to get some local help from experienced wheelers when you're learning to hook up and use a winch. There's good info on this forum and others, but you can't beat OJT (On the Job Training)

Just went to my HF and they had a 8k for $199 and a 10k for $299 on clearance. And you can use the 20% coupon! I have a fj40 so a 8k winch for 160 is damn good!

Hey guys, I'm pulling the trigger on this winch Sunday! I'm designing some in cab controls for it as well, can you tell me how many pins the connector has? PLEASE tell me 3

Hey guys, I'm pulling the trigger on this winch Sunday! I'm designing some in cab controls for it as well, can you tell me how many pins the connector has? PLEASE tell me 3

Don't want to rain on your parade, but the remote connector on my 12K has 5 pins in it. Hope this helps.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom