Harbor Freight Winches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are the Harbor Freight winches made in CHINA?........
Yes, they are. It says right on the box "Made in China". So are Titan winches and what does
Some are, but the VR series is "globally sourced".
^^^ mean to you? (Referencing a question about the source of Warn's VR Series winches) To me it means that it's entirely possible that at the least, some parts come from China.

.........Nearly everything at Harbor Freight is straight up garbage and/or disposable. I say do your best to buy American products, even though that is hard to do these days.
If you read post #6 in this thread, Woody mentions that HF is aware of their tool quality reputation and these winches are part of their attempt to alleviate that.

Last edited:
Badlands 12k is priced online at $500 right now. Does anyone know when they go back on sale?

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

I think Four Wheeler had a winch comparo a couple of months ago. It seems the Badlands winch (all 9000 lbs. winches I believe) and at least one Name brand wicnh didn't even work right out of the box. But I guess that could happen to any of them. Also 4 Wheel & Off Road was invited to HF main store (Warehouse) and was impressed by the winches and were told that they were going to start selling better quality tools. Although, as I understand it, there are only about 1 or 2 factories that makes the tools for just about every one, the main difference is the casting of the wrench/rachets and sockets. ????

I pulled the trigger on the HF 9K winch, wanted the 12K however they were on back order. I got to test it out on Slick Rock last weekend.

We were just at the trail head right before dark to check it out when a couple guys said they broke their rear drive shaft coming up the stairs, so i went down and helped them out. The speed was not bad, and it didn't get hot.

Dunno how heavy the buggy was, but it was on Dana 60 axles, 44's, 22R, dual cases with propane and coilovers. I think he broke the yota u joint at the case.

I wish i would have hit the trail Saturday, except i thought it would have been dumped with snow. I made the mistake of asking some jeepers on Friday who went through if it was really slick, He responded "Well, it's called slick rock"
IMG_1559.jpg
IMG_1557.jpg

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger on the HF 9K winch, wanted the 12K however they were on back order. I got to test it out on Slick Rock last weekend.

We were just at the trail head right before dark to check it out when a couple guys said they broke their rear drive shaft coming up the stairs, so i went down and helped them out. The speed was not bad, and it didn't get hot.

Dunno how heavy the buggy was, but it was on Dana 60 axles, 44's, 22R, dual cases with propane and coilovers. I think he broke the yota u joint at the case.

I wish i would have hit the trail Saturday, except i thought it would have been dumped with snow. I made the mistake of asking some jeepers on Friday who went through if it was really slick, He responded "Well, it's called slick rock"

Sounds like fun! So you just winched him over the obstacles that he needed 2 DS to get over? The 9K will probably take care of 90% of your challenges with your 80, especially hauling out Heeps :rolleyes:. Sure glad I was able to get a 12K before the shelves emptied. The HF store in Portland where I got mine had 1 left - I was lucky! If you have a snatch block you'll really have to bury it to not have your 9K get you out.

Sounds like fun! So you just winched him over the obstacles that he needed 2 DS to get over? The 9K will probably take care of 90% of your challenges with your 80, especially hauling out Heeps :rolleyes:. Sure glad I was able to get a 12K before the shelves emptied. The HF store in Portland where I got mine had 1 left - I was lucky! If you have a snatch block you'll really have to bury it to not have your 9K get you out.

The area i winched him is actually pretty steep and was wet. I think he might have made it farther if he broke his front shaft instead. The line speed was not too big of a problem for me. I was surprised that it wasn't hot considering the duty cycle of it.

Badlands 12k is priced online at $500 right now. Does anyone know when they go back on sale?

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Theyre on sale now for 399 plus you can use disc20 for 20% off.
$319.99 before shipping and taxes.

Erik would you run one of these? What do you run now? I need something and I think for my purposes this will probably do the trick.

Hey Shack, I dont have a winch but am thinking of picking one of these up while they're on sale. They get good reviews and Woody runs one and endorses it so i think they're OK. I also think you can get a warranty on them so if you're worried that might be good to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQTDaPnZsK4&feature=player_embedded&list=PL875F4F24DC5D2237
http://youtu.be/OEsnVL1l99M

Hey Shack, I dont have a winch but am thinking of picking one of these up while they're on sale. They get good reviews and Woody runs one and endorses it so i think they're OK. I also think you can get a warranty on them so if you're worried that might be good to get.

"Endorse" is a strong term...I have one, and haven't broken it...

which, considering my abuse of most products, is pretty good :)

MY test is a Wisconsin winter...if it works as well in March/April 2012 as it does now, then I'll be impressed.

I just ran a search on the net for HF coupons and found this: <http://www.retailmenot.com/view/harborfreight.com>
It's a 20% off coupon. It worked for the 12K lb winch.

I just ran a search on the net for HF coupons and found this: <http://www.retailmenot.com/view/harborfreight.com>
It's a 20% off coupon. It worked for the 12K lb winch.

20SAVE is also good for 20% online.

I just placed my order. I wanted to order online and do an instore pickup but they don't have that option. My price out the door including taxes, shipping and the 20% off code was $349.98.

I didn't see anyway online to purchase any sort of additional warranty but I'm sure If I need to I can just call and figure that out. I'll post up some pictures when it arrives.

Also, on harborfreight.com they mention the 20% off coupon and how it is set to expire the 4th(tomorrow).

I just placed my order. I wanted to order online and do an instore pickup but they don't have that option. My price out the door including taxes, shipping and the 20% off code was $349.98.

I didn't see anyway online to purchase any sort of additional warranty but I'm sure If I need to I can just call and figure that out. I'll post up some pictures when it arrives.

Heres a link to the warranty page if you decide to look into it: Extended Service Protection

It arrived yesterday. Here are some initial pictures.

image-3324887987.jpg

image-3450731530.jpg

image-1062834065.jpg

image-1845031604.jpg

I am curious how the fairlead will fit in the ARB. I would love for an exact fit but my guess is I'll maybe have to drill. Hopefully not.
image-3324887987.jpg
image-3450731530.jpg
image-1062834065.jpg
image-1845031604.jpg

............I am curious how the fairlead will fit in the ARB. I would love for an exact fit but my guess is I'll maybe have to drill. Hopefully not.
Don't know about the fairlead, I had a Warn roller fairlead from my previous 8k winch install. ARB recommends the Warn and gives you 2 long bolts in the install kit to replace the vertical roller pins. I kept the Warn for use with the 12k HF for that reason, plus I will be running the OEM wire rope. I'll suggest relocating your solenoid pack 'cause the 80's grill gets in the way of mounting the pack on the winch tie bars. I didn't like that location anyway 'cause with the wires looked too exposed exiting the pack on the bottom or top. I used a Dremel tool and cut 2 slots in my grill and opened the bracket hooks slightly. The securing end of the solenoid brackets lined up perfectly with my '94 grill and I was able to just drill a couple of holes for the screws to fit in:
attachment.php

Turned out to be not a bad install:

attachment.php

Also, you will need to install spacers so the ends of your winch clear the front plate since it tapers:

attachment.php

I used the included Badland fairlead on my Mini's winch, since it inherited the 8k :hillbilly:

I will gladly pay the difference for a 8274-50 for the 78 FPM thats FEET PER MINUTE of free line speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom