Harbor Freight Winches (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Although the remote has 5 connectors I opened mine up (I got it yesterday :) ) and the remote has 3 wires in it ?!?!?! I've opened up the solenoid box and found the 12v and the 2 winch controlled wires.. I am not worried about it now as it should be pretty easy and now I just need to find a rubber grommet and start focusing on my in cab switch and mounting my bumper :)

Finally! My ARB front bumper for my 88 Fj62 will be here Wednesday/Thursday of this week. With that I can get my 12k HF winch and bumper installed. I'll post before, during, & after photos.

12k HF winch install on my ARB for Fj62

I didn't get as many pictures as I hoped as I was too wound up in the install. The ARB bull bar for my Fj62 has been recently redesigned/tweaked (per phone call with ARB) so it was super easy to install. The OEM bumper came rite off, the frame mounts fit like a glove, installing the turn signal lights was a breeze, and ultimately putting it all together was gravy.

Now for the winch part. for my particular set-up you have to take apart the winch and rotate the housing 72 degrees so that you can easily reach & actuate the (dis)engage lever. After the install I see that I could have probably left it where it was...

The feet of the winch install to the back of the front face of the ARB bar. I did not have to add shims or anything. The drawback to this is that the posts for the winch are now facing directly towards my vehicle and I would think open them up to water/snow spray. The first picture is from the top. The 2nd picture is from the bottom and the 3rd is standing back a little bit (before I put on the fairlead)

Anything I can do to help minimize spray on my solenoid connections & wires from underneath? Does that side of the winch housing rotate also? I'd love to turn them and have them in-line with my (dis)engage lever.

p.s. - I tried to uncoil and recoil my cable under tension with the :princess: steering the LC....yaaa... that quickly spiraled downhill so I need to do it over.
IMAG0503.jpg
IMAG0505.jpg
IMAG0501 (no LP).jpg

Last edited:
I did have to drill two new holes in my fairlead to get it to mount up. With the added plate thickness of the fairlead the bottom two bolts are a smidge short. I was able to get contact and thread the square nuts supplied, but I will get some that are a 1/4" longer so I know I have full engagement of the nuts.

Again any thoughts or recommendations on moving/protecting the electrical posts on the winch and/or the entire assembly would be much appreciated. I'm also thinking I will zip-tie the wires together and get them picked up a little bit.

Last edited:
Congrats on the install of both! My opinion on the solenoid pack location is that it's a bad place to mount it on the winch tie bars. Yeah, there's lots of pix of folks that put it there and even from the website, but the pic of your loosely wound spool is a perfect example. Too much chance for the cable catching the brackets. While it's not a life or death problem, it could happen at a very inopportune moment and even damage the electronics to the point of the winch being unusable. Also I don't think your posts facing the rig is a bad idea. Being on top might be, though, because that's where the snow would accumulate while your rig is sitting out in the weather. Btw, what's that triangular shaped silver bracket mounted on the bumper above your spool?

Congrats on the install of both! My opinion on the solenoid pack location is that it's a bad place to mount it on the winch tie bars. Yeah, there's lots of pix of folks that put it there and even from the website, but the pic of your loosely wound spool is a perfect example. Too much chance for the cable catching the brackets. While it's not a life or death problem, it could happen at a very inopportune moment and even damage the electronics to the point of the winch being unusable. Also I don't think your posts facing the rig is a bad idea. Being on top might be, though, because that's where the snow would accumulate while your rig is sitting out in the weather. Btw, what's that triangular shaped silver bracket mounted on the bumper above your spool?

good point on the solenoid location. I already caught it with the cable due to the crappy prewrap job. Funny enough the bracket mounted on top of my bumper comes with the bumper and is for mounting the solenoid box, but the HF solenoid box will not mount on there without me making a custom bracket to fit to the underside of the HF solenoid box...which I should probably do.

........... the bracket mounted on top of my bumper comes with the bumper and is for mounting the solenoid box, but the HF solenoid box will not mount on there without me making a custom bracket to fit to the underside of the HF solenoid box...which I should probably do.
Yeah, looks like a strategic spot. Keep cables tucked to bumper, as far as possible from spool. Looks to be ok for stock cable lengths between box and winch body. You'll also have ideal access to remote connector. :cheers:

I welded a cross plate to the provided attachment arms on teh underside of the solenoid box and was able to attach that to the provided mount. I also reinstalled my Pro Comp lights and got everything wired up and zip tied to look clean. Here ya go:
IMAG0528 (no plate).jpg
IMAG0529 (no plate).jpg
IMAG0531.jpg

I got my CB tuned today and now just need to put my roof cage back on and I should have all things Cruiser handled before our trip out to the Maze next week....aside from packing that is....boooo!

I like it. Good job! Is that the Maze in Canyonlands in Utah? Attemped that trip in 2004. Actually was headed for The Doll House and had to abort due to too much of a load and worn out springs. Since then I've replaced with OME. One day I'll do that again, this time better prepared, I hope. Good luck!:cheers:

I like it. Good job! Is that the Maze in Canyonlands in Utah? Attemped that trip in 2004. Actually was headed for The Doll House and had to abort due to too much of a load and worn out springs. Since then I've replaced with OME. One day I'll do that again, this time better prepared, I hope. Good luck!:cheers:

Thanks for the props. Ya, I think it turned out pretty well.

re: Maze - Yep, in the Canyonlands. We have three LCs going; a 40 series, 60 series, and a 80 series. I've been going through mine for the past 2-3 months getting it ready. Front axle rebuild, full tune, t-case reseal, add-a-leafs to the aftermarket leafs, new greasible shackles/pins all around, AC crankin' & window tinting (for the :princess: & kids), aux tranny oil cooler, ARB bull bar, winch, CB, + a lot of little items... I got the brakes put on (by the :princess:) when I went to order the new set of (5) BFG ATs. The rubber on my LC is still 85%...I just wanted to go up to 33s. Oh well, later in the summer I guess, plus with 31s it'll help with fuel economy on the interstate going & coming.

I'll be sure to take a million pictures and post up a TR in a different forum on mud.

Just an FYI , I received a HF flyer listing the Badland 12K winch on sale for $299 June 8 - 10th.

Happy Trails, Steve

...........The test for ME is how it works after a winter in WI...but thus far, I've been impressed with it...especially for the price..........

Soooo, Woody.........What's your verdict?:p Is winter over up in WI yet?

Last edited:
Just an FYI , I received a HF flyer listing the Badland 12K winch on sale for $299 June 8 - 10th.

Happy Trails, Steve
Wow, is that a small window! 3 whole days :eek:, I hope the stores are stocking up. Good luck!

The flyer also states quantities limited, no rainchecks. But you can get store access one hour early if you belong to the " Inside Track Club ".
Maybe you could just buy online.

Soooo, Woody.........What's your verdict?:p Is winter over up in WI yet?

I used in TX at the RoundUp...worked as it should. Suspect i'll use it again over the next few weeks in Moab as well :)

9000lb is back on sale for $299 for anyone who wants one 'now'.
Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 7.41.49 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom