HAMOM 7/14-7/16 FJ60 build, parts clean out. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_1221.jpeg

What is the wheelbase at right now? What’s reasoning for *not* flipping the front springs around (short side forwards)? It would move the front forwards another ~3” or so

I cut all my hangers off when I did mine so I don’t have a frame of reference anymore

Also what are the goals/intended use for this thing when done?

Last edited:
What is the wheelbase at right now? What’s reasoning for flipping the front springs around (short side forwards)? It would move the front forwards another ~3” or so

I cut all my hangers off when I did mine so I don’t have a frame of reference anymore

They're fj6x rear springs in front. He has a aftermarket set with the offset center pin, which allowed him to use the factory spring hanger in the front.

Last edited:
What is the wheelbase at right now? What’s reasoning for *not* flipping the front springs around (short side forwards)? It would move the front forwards another ~3” or so

I don’t remember the wheelbase, I’d have to measure it again. It’s a little longer than stock because the rear ended up back a little. The front is in the factory position. I can do some measuring later and give you some numbers.

Goals and intended use are to have a very capable rig that I can also drive long distances to camp out of. Sometimes I camp in places that require wheeling to get to 🙂. This will be somewhat of an evolution, for the time being I just want to get all the parts I have collected over the past few years onto this truck and off the donor truck so I don’t have to move a project when I move.

They're fj6x rear springs in front. He has an aftermarket set with the offset center pin, which allowed him to use the factory spring hanger in the front.

The OEM springs are offset as well, I'm just wondering what the wheelbase difference is with either option, I know you and @Zjohnsonua run yours with the long side forwards, I realize it probably doesn't matter for you with your 42's, but just curious what the reason for a truck like this one that I assume will only have a 35-37" on it? Was the tire just way too far forwards into the core support?

I don’t remember the wheelbase, I’d have to measure it again. It’s a little longer than stock because the rear ended up back a little. The front is in the factory position. I can do some measuring later and give you some numbers.

Goals and intended use are to have a very capable rig that I can also drive long distances to camp out of. Sometimes I camp in places that require wheeling to get to 🙂. This will be somewhat of an evolution, for the time being I just want to get all the parts I have collected over the past few years onto this truck and off the donor truck so I don’t have to move a project when I move.

If the front is in the factory position I'd definitively rec reversing them to move it forwards a few inches before you do all your shock mounts and brakes lines etc, It's makes a really nice difference. It's like a F350 on the highway :)

The OEM springs are offset as well, I'm just wondering what the wheelbase difference is with either option, I know you and @Zjohnsonua run yours with the long side forwards, I realize it probably doesn't matter for you with your 42's, but just curious what the reason for a truck like this one that I assume will only have a 35-37" on it? Was the tire just way too far forwards into the core support?
I actually never even checked to see where it would land if it were forward. I assumed the easiest thing to do would be to leave it in the factory position since I’m trying to finish this whole truck by the end of July. Your correct in assuming 35-37 for tires.
If the front is in the factory position I'd definitively rec reversing them to move it forwards a few inches before you do all your shock mounts and brakes lines etc, It's makes a really nice difference. It's like a F350 on the highway :)
I can imagine it would be much better driving, and maybe I’ll do that some day. If I could move it forward and use the factory shock towers, then I might consider that, but I can’t see that working.

I missed the deadline part. Yeah, it's definitely another layer of project with the fender and core support work.

Reactions: AJR
I missed the deadline part. Yeah, it's definitely another layer of project with the fender and core support work.
I’m trying to avoid additional layers and that’s difficult to do. Every potential upgrade is easier to do while your in there when you have the truck basically stripped down the frame. So far I’ve added almost every layer available on the interior lol.

I've no ride-quality complaints with the flipped front springs and forward shackles. I'd argue that the largest improvement seen with Matt's implementation is by having the shackle reversal done. My sore spot is the annoying front flex, or lack-thereof, but hell, there's only so much a 47" leaf can offer. Shrug.

I’m trying to avoid additional layers and that’s difficult to do. Every potential upgrade is easier to do while your in there when you have the truck basically stripped down the frame. So far I’ve added almost every layer available on the interior lol.

Interior is overrated.

• Haha
Reactions: AJR

Didn't we just have this conversation? None of the j6x rear springs I've ever had my hands on have been offset with the exception of aftermarket lift springs.

Nvm, I'm an idiot.

Last edited:
Didn't we just have this conversation? None of the j6x rear springs I've ever had my hands on have been offset with the exception of aftermarket lift springs.

Yeah we did, You’re mixing up rear springs and front though. The fronts are centerd and the rears are 3” offset.

OEM rear springs, ~22” and ~25” center pin to bushing center

image.jpg
image.jpg

Yeah we did, You’re mixing up rear springs and front though. The fronts are centerd and the rears are 3” offset.

OEM rear springs, ~22” and ~25” center pin to bushing center

View attachment 3360228View attachment 3360229

Dude, no I'm not. Every rear spring I've had in the front of moonshine is centered, the whole setup is designed around it.

Edit. Never mind, I'm an idiot, or losing my mind. I just measured moonshine and it's definitely offset.

What is wrong with me, lol.

Last edited:
Moving forward, my springs are oriented the same way as Adam and Zach, short side towards the rear. I moved my spring hanger forward to get the wheelbase I wanted, but had to chop a lot out of the core support.

9C53C9C8-F5B5-40D0-BD1D-BB01A0A3FA6C.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom